Surgical Specialist

Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
215-728-2570
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Electrical Engineer  |  show details
by Alvin F. Hunsberger Sr. on Jul 8th, 2014

Dr. John Ridge is one of the "BEST" doctors I have ever had to take care of my cancer. With his directions to all of his staff, "ALL" of my cancer is gone.If you have head or neck cancer do not go to any one else. Dr. Ridge is the best.

Jun 11th, 2013

Dr John Ridge, my head and neck surgeon at Fox Chase Cancer Center, saved my life. He operated on my metastatic cancer and I have been cancer free for 10 years now. The statistics for my type of cancer indicated that not many survive past five years. I was fortunate to find Dr. Ridge. Before finding Dr. Ridge, I did not even know that there was a specialist for just head and neck cancer surgery. We were lucky to find Dr. Ridge who is a physician/surgeon that focuses just upon this type of surgery and who has successfully treated so many people with my type of cancer. It was well worth the drive into Philadelphia. I have followed up with Dr. Ridge for several years now. He is a quiet person of few words. His skill as a surgeon however spoke in volumes. Fox Chase Cancer Center is a wonderful hospital. Everyone there from the receptionists to the Chief of Head and Neck Surgery is committed to helping the patients. They treated me and my family with great compassion and caring. I recommend Dr. Ridge and Fox Chase Cancer Center very highly.

by John Boggs on Apr 24th, 2013

If anyone is looking for a doctor that is dedicated to his profession it is doctor Ridge. I had throat cancer and was sure that my life as I knew it was over.Doctor Ridge had the ability to replace my fear with confidence that I was going to survive. NOT only did I survive I am totally cured and thriving. tTHANK YOU Dr. Ridge

|  Current Patient  |  show details
by John W. Floyd on Apr 3rd, 2013

When I first learned I had head and neck cancer I knew I was in the deep end of the pool without a lifeguard. I was devistated as was my family and we were mostly unsure and afarid, that is until we met Dr. John Ridge and his associates at Fox Chase. Dr Ridge took control of our fears and uncertinity, immediately we then knew he was the answer. He was down to earth and up front with the situation, and did not sugar coat the facts and dangers of my cancer. He and his staff told my wife and I what needed to be accomplished and he did just what he said he would do to help find our cure. In concert with Dr. Ridge was Dr. Topham a reconstruction plastics surgeon equal in talent and knowledge with Dr. Ridge and his staff of associates. Both men gave years of my life back to me and my family, how do you say thank you for that gift of life. These professionals walk with a different purpose in life, they give life back if they can and make lives better. A wonderful group of professional people who day after day improve our lives.

Jan 30th, 2013

He's wonderful, and worth any wait!

|  Thyroid Cancer Surgery  |  show details
Dec 2nd, 2012

I first came in contact with Dr. Ridge in late July of 2012 when I was seeking a second opinion from him. I was diagnosed with thyroid nodules in early July by my general practioner. He had referred me to a specialist in NJ who performed a biopsy on me. When the biopsy came back inconclusive, the NJ doctor wanted to remove half my thyroid and biopsy it. Depending on the results he would either proceed with a second surgery to remove the other half or leave the other half in and hope the thyroid tissue would kick in without any need for meds. My family was concerned with this procedure so my 82 year old mother suggested I see this head and neck specialist at Fox who a friend of hers knew and raved about. So off to Fox Chase Cancer Center we went, my husband and I. Well my first impression of Dr. Ridge wasn't favorable as I thought he was kind of cold, perhaps arrogant. He immediately wanted to remove my whole thyroid. I think inside I knew this could be cancer but I refused to believe it. I kept hoping it wasn't and was questioning why I had to remove my whole thyroid. Second guessing myself as usual. Then I thought about it, why should I put myself through a second surgery? I asked myself how I would feel if I found out after having the first surgery that I have cancer. How would I feel knowing it's still in me? So I decided to gamble with Dr. Ridge. I canceled my surgery with the NJ doctor and off again to Fox we went on 8/20/12 to have my thyroid removed. I was petrified. I didn't want to have another surgery. I was angry. But the morning of my surgery while I was in pre-op, Dr. Ridge stopped by to see me. It was at this point I realized this man is a gift. It was like God intended for me to be at Fox. I saw a different side to him. A very caring and almost humble side. I found out 1 week later, when I returned to see Dr. Ridge, that I had cancer. The larger tumor was a rare hurthle cell cancer and the smaller nodules were papillary carcinomas. If it wasn't for Dr. Ridge's suggestion to remove the whole thyroid who knows what would have happened. Dr. Ridge is an extremely skilled surgeon. HIs credentials are amazing and he has certainly earned my confidence and trust! When I recently saw him for my 3-month post op, I told him he's a wonderful doctor and surgeon and I meant it. Look no further than this man. He knows what he's doing and rest assured you will be in good hands! Hey I gambled and I won!

|  A Physican well qualified, Skilled, and caring - Look No Further!  |  show details
May 9th, 2012

Look for further - this Doctor was a present! After reading one of the reviews in this column It had me doubting that but thank God for better judgment and Gut.....I went ahead with Dr John Ridge - My Surgery was successful - Dr Ridge was not only kind, he was caring and empathetic, he listened as I shared my Fears, both silly and real. i said "Please tell me ill come out of this operation alive" he chuckled and said "Thhis question you ask, youll be talking about for years to come, of course youll be okay"....See it was in his "chuckle", mostly, then his words that i KNEW i was in good hands - this Dr is very qualified, skilled and playful - he even joked with me before surgery (taking my mind off of it)- not only was my surgery successful it was not long had no complications and the scar is quite small and hidden - not bad at all for a whole thyroid removal - I give Dr John Ridge an A Plus - SO ALL YOU WOMEN out there,come on down....please ignore the review that had my doubts going - he is a wonderful physicain that will be as honest as you ask and as compassionate as you show - To me, its been a gift and a wonderful decision. Thank you Dr John Ridge and God Blessed You for helping people like me. Amen

|  Excellent doctor!  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2011

To the women who posted negative: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent! This man knows what he is doing and what he is talking about. He saved my life and I will be forever grateful!

|  Dr Ridge is the best for head/neck cancer  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2011

"Drew" Ridge, MD, PhD, FACS, chief of head and neck surgery at Fox Chase Cancer Center is the best in the field of surgical oncology for head/neck cancer. His experience, expertise and commitment are second to none.Look up his long list of credentials and you will agree that he is the Dean of head/neck cancer at FCCC. View his video at www.FCCC.edu. He was the President of the American Head and Neck Society. His commitment to delivering the best care for me is the reason why I trust him 100%. His take charge attitude is exactly what I needed, considering I knew nothing about my disease. I do not mind waiting 30-40 minutes to see him because there are many people needing him and he wil spend as much time with you as you need, answering all of your questions. He is the one to see if you have head/heck cancer.

Apr 3rd, 2011

I had the same experience as the previouswoman who commented on Dr. Ridge. He treats women much differently than he does men.

|  He Saved My Life  |  show details
by john skater on Nov 26th, 2009

I had a cancer that had spread to my lymph nodes. Dr. Ridge explained everything to me and had me meet all members of his team.I had to wait for more than half an hour for my first appointment, but it was worth it.I learned what to expect, how to beat the cancer, how to take charge of my health, and what to expect during and after the surgery. It was upsetting at first to hear about the possible complications and that my cancer was advanced, but in the long-run it paid off.Dr. Ridge really cares, and got me through the treatment and recovery, so that I'm getting back to a normal life.

|  Stay Away From THis Cancer Doctor  |  show details
by Mrs. H. Hopewell on Sep 21st, 2009

John Ridge====rude,condescending,arrogant,harried,egotisticdoes not offer options or hope to patients.stay away from like the swine flu