John S Yu MD Patient Reviews

• 6 reviews

October 8th, 2015
What a wonderful care giver and adept surgeon.

May 6th, 2015
I could not be more pleased with the care and service of Dr. You and his entire team of specialists and staff. I had undergone quite a major surgery for removal of a tumor in my brain (craniotomy). Operation was a success and follow ups scheduled right on time.

April 29th, 2015
I had a very favorable surgery result.

October 15th, 2014
Dishonest
I had a small (1.5 cm) skull-base meningioma on an area known at the lesser sphenoid wing. Based on a previous MRI done years before, we could see that it was growing, so wait and watch was probably not the best option. This tumor was non-symptomatic...it was found by accident when my regular doctor ordered an MRI with contrast for a completely separate issue (headache) which went away on its own. I consulted with three different brain surgeons about this tumor, and all were in agreement that it was a relatively easy tumor to remove, and there was virtually no risk to other structures since it was in a "relatively quiet part of the brain" as Dr. Yu put it. Another surgeon called it a "chip shot," again meaning that it was easy to remove. Meningiomas are non-cancerous and typically just grow in place without spreading, but can get quite large if left alone. I opted for Dr. Yu to do the surgery to remove it. Before the surgery, I asked him about monitoring the 3rd cranial nerve during surgery to insure against damage. This nerve is important because it controls the eye muscles, the pupil, and your ability to open your eye. Sometimes important cranial nerves like this are monitored during surgery taking place nearby to insure it doesn't get damaged during surgery. When I asked him about this, he said very definitively: "you don't need that." Period. In terms of neurosurgery, this nerve (and several others) are too far away to be concerned about according to him and others I consulted with. After the surgery, I came out with near complete destruction of not only that nerve, but total destruction of three other cranial nerves! My eye was then, and will always be paralyzed. I must patch it to avoid horrible double vision and the sensation that the environment is unstable like an earthquake, so I have lost the use of that eye. Ok, so unforeseen things can happen. But when I saw my op report, it said: "She was warned about the potential for eye paralysis." This was a total fabrication. It was obviously added after the fact to cover it up. He would never provide me with an explanation. He is a good surgeon. My theory is that he allowed the neurosurgery resident from Africa that was working this him do the surgery, since it was supposed to be so straightforward. He also wrote in the op report: "I was the one who did the entire surgery from start to finish." I work in the medical field, and have never seen any op reports that says such things. The reports only talk about what was done during surgery. Not about warnings given to patients. Those are written in other sections of the patient charts. I told him prior to surgery I only wanted HIM to do the surgery, and that was why I chose him and Cedar Sinai instead of a teaching hospital where surgery fellows routinely do the surgeries. It's so sad. Just make sure to get ALL of your chart notes, both before and after your procedure.

June 8th, 2013
Dr. Yu was very knowledgeable and kind. He is very well-trained and we had the utmost confidence in his skills. My father was taken care of very well during the whole time under his care.

May 1st, 2013
Abandons patients
Dr. Yu's office staff and nursing staff are very difficult to deal with, - chaotic, disjointed, unresponsive to requests, and full of excuses. Also, after surgery, his staff appears to be inaccessible and uninterested in assisting patients during recovery and complications. Clearly Dr. Yu is an outstanding surgeon, but his staff does not follow through with good communication or appropriate care for his patients following discharge from Cedars-Sinai.