Dr. John Scagnelli MD Patient Reviews

• Neurology Charlottesville, VA

3.4

February 9th, 2016
Glad to have him on my team
I have MS, and have had other doctors in the past. I'm grateful to have Dr. Scagnelli looking over my case. He is genuine in his desire to help with e ...

February 9th, 2016
I have a pretty difficult to follow neurological problem, and feel completely trusting of Dr. Scagnelli being the one at the front line of my healthcare decisions. He's thoughtful, honest, and not stuck in his ways.... if you bring new info. that is useful, or valid to your problem, he will review it, and give you his honest medical opinion. He's human. Glad I've got him on my team!

November 20th, 2015
Poor directions and poor professional service
In fairness my wife was late for her appointment. We didn't leave on time, then we encounter very heavy rain for most of the hour drive. Once at the office complex we relied on the address on the paperwork sent from the doctor. We tried to find a handicap parking spot at building 1540, but there were none. My wife walks slow and uses a cane. When we got to the reception desk, we were told Dr Scagnelli's office was in Building 1520, quite a distance for a handicap person to walk. So we waited for assistance and a wheel chair. When we got to Bldg 1520 we were not allowed enough time to fill out the paperwork but rushed into the doctors office, where the nurse told me we didn't need to fill out the forms, that she had everything, and that she had to keep the doctor on schedule. The doctor rushed the "exam" and in short time declared my wife did not have dementia or Alzheimer's, and he would refer my wife back to her regular doctor and recommend she be prescribed Zoloft. The doctor left in short order. We sat and waited until finally I found another nurse who couldn't find our nurse or doctor. We never received any diagnosis form or further instructions. I (also disabled) wound up pushing my wife back to Bldg 1540 where our car was parked in a handicap spot. Both my wife this doctor visit was a total waste of time! Today, my Internet review indicates Dr. Scagnelli's training is in Multiple Sclerosis and not dementia or Alzheimer's.

November 4th, 2015
Dr. Scagnelli worst doctor ever
Went to dr. Scagnelli for depression and alcohol abuse. All he did was refer me to someone else who needed his approval to treat me. Never got a call from back from either of them even after calling multiple times. Dr. Scagnelli is rude and doesn't care one bit about his patient. My sister had the same experience; rude attitude and the guy never so much as looked her in the eye. All he is, is a drug dealer with a license.

July 13th, 2015
terrible doctor!!! Only after money. put me on daily med for migraines. They got worse. Sent portal message for help. No response. Called urgently since I had a migraine for five days on new med, no response. Then had staff call me a few days later and tried to enroll me in another study in which he makes money!! Then I got a bill for 380.00!! And my migraines are worse! For a 5 minute consult???? This practice doesn't care about their patients just cares about making money. Find an independent neologism in a small practice if u want patient care. What a jerk!

May 17th, 2015
Doctor did not listen to what I had to say about my symptoms and history.

April 22nd, 2015
Great doctor
Smart doctor that diagnosed me when no one else could figure out what was wrong!

November 18th, 2014
I feel as though I finally found a doctor to treat my MS symptom by symptom, and as an overall patient.... My care has beenbeen so well rounded since starting care here.

October 24th, 2014
Solid MS doctor
I switched from another neurologist at Raleigh Neurology as soon as Dr. Scagnelli joined the practice, and I have been pleased with both his competence and personality. He is very direct, which I appreciate, though he's personable as well. I feel that he remembers me and my symptoms, and has been proactive in helping me deal with MS. I have also found that turn-around time is quick; I had an MRI on Wednesday morning and got an email message regarding the results on Friday morning.

September 18th, 2012
Excellent Communicator
Dr. Scagnelli took over care for my husband after doctors in Richmond felt they had no more to suggest in a very difficult neurological case. When he was hospitalized at UVA, we met Dr. Scagnelli and he began very thorough examinations and treatment. Cheom was given to stop the progression of neuromylitis opticia, a rare neurological disease that somewhat mimics MS symptoms. As my husband was almost blind and very confused, I was so appreciative of the way Dr. Scagnelli involved the family, making sure the options were understood,and became an anchor for me, the care giver. Dr. Scagnelli was professional, worked with other doctors, investigated new possibilities, was interested in my husband to the point of giving us his personal phone number, and calling to check on us after appointments. UVA's loss is NC's gain! I personally feel that because of Dr. Scagnelli, my husband has a quality of life that we once never imagined he could have.

September 18th, 2012
Dr. Scagnelli took over case management from our local neurologist after she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and had immediate complications. He was very prompt in his response, helped us understand treatment options and helped get her stabilized in her symptoms. My daughter felt very comfortable talking to him and knew that she could reach him or his nurse with quesstions, concerns about flare-ups, etc. We were very sorry to see him move to NC.

September 12th, 2012
My husband contracted an unknown neurological disease almost two years ago and, by the luck of the draw, Dr. Scagnelli became his doctor. Dr. Scagnelli has gone above and beyond to find answers and to get my husband the care that he needed. He has also worked with insurance companies, home health agencies and other physicians near and far, to get my husband the most effective care and treatment. Because of Dr. Scagnelli's attentiveness, my husband has had the best treatments available as well as daily private duty nursing. He even gave us a private phone number by which to reach him if there was a emergent situation. I can't say enough about Dr. Scagnelli's abilities and sincere thoughtfulness and compassion. In this day and time, it's almost impossible to find a doctor that will spend the needed time with a patient but Dr. Scagnelli always spends more than an average 15-minute visit; always over an hour, sometimes much longer. He listens, truly listens, to his patients and takes their thoughts and wishes under advisement when making medical decisions about what's best for the patient and then discusses the options in plain English for all to understand. Of all the physicians we have dealt with over the last two years, Dr. Scagnelli is, by far, the best in every way.