Dr. John Schaffer Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. John Schaffer?

Fibromyalgia

Have you seen Dr. John Schaffer?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

February 27th, 2017

Top Orthopedic Surgeon

The absolute BEST surgeon in Hampton Roads, probably the state.

December 4th, 2014

From 10 years of pain to Ironman

I had an ACL repair in 2001 by another surgeon in the DC area (a Washingtonian Top Doctor) that successfully restored stability, but left me with significant pain whenever I was active. I had a secondary scope done in 2003 by the same surgeon that did not help. My knee continued to get worse over the next 10 years until I had to give up not only running (what little I could do post surgery) but also skiing. Even golf was painful. I went to another surgeon in the DC area (another Washingtonian Top Doctor) who told me it was arthritis and there is nothing that could be done. I was referred to Dr. Schaffer by a relative in Norfolk and went to see him. After an exam and xrays he gave me an honest update. He couldn't be sure what was behind the pain, but given my age and athletic interests he would recommend surgery to find and hopefully fix the issue. Ultimately he found an issue from my prior surgery that caused bone growth into the joint and he was able to clean this up. Three months later I was back running pain free for the first time in 10 years and went on a few years later to finish my first marathon and an Ironman. My running went from 2 miles of pain to 30+ miles in a week pain free and my skiing is better than ever. Beyond the skill to address the issue, what set Dr. Schaffer apart from the other surgeons I saw was his willingness to listen to my history and issues and give an honest recommendation on how to proceed.

October 21st, 2014

Fantastic doctor and surgeon

Dr. Schaffer is a great doctor. He is very personable and excels at his profession. Both my husband and I see Dr. Schaffer. We have had surgeries for knee and shoulder.

September 19th, 2014

Veterinarian

This doctor performed a ACL replacement surgery on my daughter. She later had problems with her meniscus. After the surgeries she experienced pain that would not go away. He never was able to help her. He has a standard fall back position if he can't explain or determine what is wrong. That fall back position is that he tells the patients there is abrasion on the back side of the knee cap and can't do anything about that. In case you might ask i know that because he told my friends wife that, my daughter, and me. I went to him with a hyperextended knee on a workman compensation issue. It must coincidence that all of his ex patients have knee cap issues. After seeing Dr. Schaffer in action with his rotten manners and inability to fix injured knees I believe he should be operating on gerbils or snakes. I believe that since snakes don't have joints he could master that. The guy belongs in the MD hall of shame.

January 24th, 2013

Avoid Schaffer at all cost or it will end up costing you!

Before I begin this reveiw just look at him in the picture, he looks like a nut. This man is a very poor example of the medical field and what a doctor should be I had to have two surgical consultations due to the first consultation I had all he did was ask me to use my private health insurance instead of going through workers comp for a work related injury. After having surgery and well beyond the time frame I was given about healing I still had so many problems with my knee 3 years later I am still having the same problems and when you express your concerns he will become defensive and rude and will continue to tell you that your fine even with obvious symtoms unknown swelling bruising and other painful symptoms and pretty much say your a liar in his notes. If I had it to do all over I would have never had surgery with him after the incision is sewn up he will treat you like garbage and his assistant Kat is just as horrible as him I have been on crutches over 5 times since surgery. you can probably do better with a paint mixing stick and a ace bandage.

August 29th, 2012

Run away if you can still run, or even walk

Totally misdiagnosed after a torn hamstringand a resulting knee problem he sent me to PT to treat contracture. Four visits later I was still walking with a cane. Turns out it was a torn Lateral and Medial meniscus. He never took X-ray's Ultrasound or any other tests needed. Another surgeon found and corrected the problem in 3 weeks. I was under Dr Schaffer's care for almost one year. Bad all the way around follow up was none existent.

April 18th, 2012

Fair Weather Medical Care

This surgeon was highly recommended when my husband needed an ACL repair. Without taking a preliminary x-ray or MRI, he merely squeezed the knee and said "Yep, 99% chance it's a torn ACL." We were told it was a routine arthroscopic procedure with a fairly short recovery time. He did not even tell us after the procedure that there was a 6" incision and use of donor tendon. We learned this after attempting to do the physical therapy, and learning that he was not healing as expected. Each time we tried to address these issues with Dr. Schaffer, we were shuffled off to a physician's assistant, and no post-op tests were performed. The knee never improved, and after insinuating that he was "drug-seeking" for the pain, my husband took his records to Dr. Arthur Wardell for a second opinion. He underwent two additional surgeries to try to ameliorate the damage, but despite Dr. Wardell's best efforts, the knee continues to be far worse than before the first surgery. Dr. Schaffer's dismissive attitude and failure to even look into the post-op problems lead us to conclude that the patient is just a piece of meat to him. He is only interested in getting you onto the table and billing you; after that, he wants nothing more to do with you, especially if you have a problem afterward. Everyone advised us to sue, but good luck finding a local attorney who will even touch your case. Court is for those who can afford high-dollar lawyers. If you choose to let this guy cut into your body, you better get a good result, or he will not want to see you ever again.

March 1st, 2012

AWESOME

Dr. Schaffer is very good at what he does and I would highly recommend him to anyone that would have a need for his services. His staff at the DePaul Atrium are professional, but not very friendly. They are matter-of-fact and rigid and don't make you feel at ease.

March 25th, 2011

Run (if you can) to another surgeon

Diagnostic method: squeezed my knee and when I yelped he said "99% chance this is a torn ACL, let's schedule surgery". I had hurt it playing soccer 5 months earlier and it had remained unstable and uncomfortable. I decided that I should get it repaired in order to improve function and prevent further deterioration. Dr. Schaffer described an ACL tendon repair as a routine arthroscopic procedure with 4-6 weeks recovery time. Nearly 2 years(and 2 additional surgeries by another doctor)later, I remain in far worse condition than before I submitted to Dr. Schaffer's surgery. My left kneecap ended up 1/2 inch lower than the right, the pain has never abated, a future knee-replacement is inevitable, and I am now uninsurable. Dr. Schaffer's response to my post-operative complications ranged from outright denial, to indifference, to hostility. Only after I pulled my records for my second opinion did he seem to take notice. He left a long rambling message on my voice mail, basically apologizing and defending himself. My second and third surgeries were to clean up masses of scar tissue in order to allow my knee to heal. It was six months later, not six weeks, that I began to walk again, on a cane. Even my physical therapists were horrified by the outcome. People jokingly asked "Who did your knee surgery, your vet?" In retrospect, I'm fairly certain that my vet would have done a far better job, and she actually cares about her patients!

February 15th, 2011

Run, don't walk away

after a botched surgery all he could say was "I don't know what went wrong." Three surgeries later to fix his work I'm still not 100%. have run across many others who had similiar experiences. well conected, reason why team doctor for ODU although some coaches won't send their players to him. a number of other great surgons in the area to choose from.

August 3rd, 2017