Dr. John Shemo MD Patient Reviews

• Geriatric Medicine Charlottesville, VA

September 21st, 2015
Excellent Psychiatrist
I've been a patient of Dr. Shemo's for over 15 years. He has diagnosed and prescribe for my condition perfectly. My life would not be the same without him. I am grateful for all his help.

December 29th, 2014
Dr. Shemo does not even pretend to be interested in what you're saying

April 30th, 2014
Just a warning
He'll make you come in much more frequently than necessary so that he can bill you/your insurance for the time. He won't let you see him less frequently than once a month, even once you've settled on a medication/dosage. Mostly, though, I'm writing this review because of the situation that prompted me to leave this practice. The night before an appointment, I was hospitalized with severe food poisoning. Despite my illness, I called Dr. Shemo's office to let them know that I would not be making my appointment. I thought that, given the circumstances, they would waive the fee for a late cancellation. After all, I'd been trusting this practice to help me manage my mental and emotional health; I thought they'd have compassion in the face of severe and unexpected illness. But that wasn't the case. I received a bill for $150. It's not just the money that has me dismayed; it's the lack of understanding and the unwillingness to interpret policies in light of patients' circumstances. Dr. Shemo is not a person I would trust to treat mental illness any longer.

February 18th, 2013
Most positive experience.
This was the most positive experience I have ever had with a physician and his staff. Everyone was concerned, knowledgeable and helpful.