Dr. John Shiau, MD
Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery - www.shiauNYCspine.com
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by Doctor.com.
 |  Great experience  |  show details
by Steve on Nov 14th, 2014

I saw Dr. Shiau in his new Manhattan office where it is less rushed. I did not wait and I had the chance to have a long discussion comparing minimally invasive spine surgery with my other options. I chose not to have surgery which he said was fine and I was happy with that.

|  He is a great doctor  |  show details
by Michael on Apr 4th, 2014

Hi - I just had surgery with Dr. Shiau 2 months ago. He was the only surgeon who accurately diagnosed by problem - sacroiliac disease. I saw other spinal surgeons who either couldn't figure out what was wrong or wanted to fuse my spine. I got a second opinion from Dr. Shiau who felt that my spine was not the problem. I just read a review that criticized him without ever seeing him and I think he is wrong.

|  ARE you kidding  |  show details
Feb 27th, 2014

Dr Shiau might be good but personally wouldnt know. His office sticks and it is a meat market in my opinion. I am a very busy person but there office obviously thinks that i could just wait weeks for a call back. I wait 3 months for an appointment for a test then went and the valuum did not work, The person giving me the test says well it didnt work because i use to many pain relievers. Not true never used a pain reliver at all till recently using valume for the 5 mri;s and 4 cat scans i had had. I was told by my neourolist that it is possible due to my history that i may wake up and not be able to walk as it happened to me 15 years ago. I was told to go to a suregom and she recommened dr shaiu. I thought it was because he could good but found out today that no thats not the reason. The reason is because he is the only sugeon on Staten island. I waisted 3 months of my time for an office that is like a meat market. DO NOT RECOMMEND AT ALL..

|  Best surgeon  |  show details
by Greg on Mar 17th, 2013

I shopped around for a spine surgeon who could help me using minimally invasive surgery. There were so many doctors in Manhattan that said they specialized in it but then said I wasn't a candidate. Dr. Shiau was the only one who said I was. I'm so happy I chose him. My friend's mother had brain surgery done by Dr Shiau and recommended him to me.

|  Excellent surgeon  |  show details
by Anonymous on Mar 16th, 2013 on doctor.com

First of all, I had to wait an hour for my appointment but once I got to see Dr Shiau he was thorough and unrushed. He did minimally invasive spine su ...

Read Full Review at doctor.com
 |  He is a very good doctor  |  show details
Sep 28th, 2011

I am very happy with this doctor, he did surgery on my cervical neck, and he was very caring towards my needs

|  show details
by J.J. on Aug 10th, 2010

Dr. Shiau is an excellent Doctor.I would highly recommend him to anyone. He treated me like family and was very caring and attentive. Thanks to him I am enjoying my life again after not being able to walk for weeks.

|  show details
Aug 2nd, 2010

Great doctor. Even when you have stroke on both side you can still write post he must be great

|  HORRIBLE  |  show details
by INEEDA BRAIN on Mar 19th, 2010

THIS DOCTOR ALMOST KILLED ME AND DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE COMMON DECINCY 2 COME BACK N SAY I AM SORRY. IN MY OPINION HE IS THE WORST NEURO SURGEON IN THE WORLD. HE HAD 11 MALPRACTICE SUITS AGAINST HIM WHEN I HAD MY 1ST SURGERY IN 2007. I WOUND UP HAVING 20 MORE SURGERYS AND A MAJOR STROKE ON BOTH SIDES OF MY BRAIN FROM WHAT HE SAID WAS A "SIMPLE SURGERY" HE ASSURED ME I WOULD BE FINE!!!!! AND GUESS WHAT 3 YEARS LATER AND, I AM STILL NOT FINE!!!!!!!

|  Excellent Doctor  |  show details
by Melissa K on Nov 20th, 2009

Dr.Shiau did a wonderful job on my back. Dr.Shiau and his staff were very caring and made me feel very comfortable and safe. I definitely would recomend him to anyone who needs a good doctor because they are hard to find these days.

|  great doctor  |  show details
by NASSER A. SATTER on Mar 14th, 2009

great doctor,i advise every one to go to him