Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon

64-1035 Mamalahoa Hwy Ste K
Kamuela, HI 96743
808-885-4503
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  2 extractions and an implant prep: all good  |  show details
May 3rd, 2014

My primary care dentist recommended Stover for all three procedures. I was not disappointed. The anesthesia was calibrated to put me in a "twilight" state for the procedures, and worked perfectly. Stover himself took time to meet and talk with me prior to each procedure and was always helpful and kind.

|  Ignore the fake reviews - he is a known con artist  |  show details
by Matt H on Apr 16th, 2014

Dr. Stover did a cosmetic procedure on my mother several years back that ended in disaster. Her face swelled up, he provided her no additional assistance, and she had to have the damage to her jaw corrected by another surgeon. Two friends of mine, one three years ago and one last year, received breast augmentation from Dr. Stover and were horrified with the results. These are the only three people I know who have seen him - all say he was the worst surgeon they have ever seen. In March of 2014, a young mother (Kristen Tavares) died while under anesthesia for a routine wisdom teeth removal (check the news). He is not only a terrible surgeon, he is downright dangerous.

|  Stellar MD on the Big Island  |  show details
by Diana Mahaney on Apr 3rd, 2014

My family of four have been patients of Dr. Stover's since 2003, with over 30 procedures and have always had positive outcomes and stellar results. Dr. Stover's medical expertise, standards of practices and procedures have been nothing but stellar during this entire time. In addition to Dr. Stover being a dentist, he is also a medical doctor and PhD, and is triple board certified and I constantly refer him to my real estate clients, family and friends because of his extensive experience and knowledge. He is an asset to our community and serves patients island-wide.

|  Quality work, caring staff  |  show details
by Sue B on Apr 3rd, 2014

Dr Stover has performed many procedures for me and my family including two dental implants for myself and wisdom teeth extraction as well as removal of several suspect moles for my son. He and his staff are kind, caring professionals before, during and after each procedure. I have complete confidence in the quality of Dr Stover's work and won't hesitate to use him again should the need arise.

|  Stover  |  show details
by JPB,PhD on Mar 25th, 2014

I’m a relatively new patient of Dr. Stover. After having a consultation in early ’13 I had an “eye job” as scheduled in Dec at the Kona Coast Office. The procedure was followed by two weekly visits, two biweekly, and a final exam after just under three months. I’ve been impressed by the doctor’s competency and soft-spoken, reassuring manner on each of my visits. Following surgery Dr. Stover called several times to ascertain my condition and provided his personal cell number should I need to contact him in event of an emergence. Barring a minor scheduling mishap with one appointment I have no faults to find with treatment or results of my procedure – and I’m not easily pleased. I’d be delighted to get such attentive and timely care from my PCP.

|  Refusal of Service  |  show details
by Anon on Feb 14th, 2014

I received a phone call from someone (gal) from their Hilo Office. I found this call disturbing. The lady on the phone told me that Doctor Stover has refused services and that Admin had contacted my Dental Office where my referral came from and had told them to find another Dental Office to go to. I then asked the Gal that was on the phone with me, and asked her why and that I did not do anything wrong. She responded back to me and then told me that "I don't know that I am ONLY the Messenger". She then asked me for my phone number and that she would find out". She did not contact me. I decided to call my Medical Insurance to see if they could find out what the problem was. The gal from the Medical Insurance told me that they was not specific as to why, I was denied services that she found another Dentist to help me. I remembered about the time, that I went over to the Kamuela Office and that day that I went there the Office was Closed and had wanted to drop off my Referral to them. I drove over there and I was greeted by their Business Manager who came to meet me at their other office which was located next door. She took me outside and left the door office open so the other clients that were there could hear our conversation. Her voice was very loud and began to tell everyone the type of insurance I have and why I was there. I began to feel uncomfortable and asked her not to do that. I reminded her about the HIPPA Law which is confidentiality for a patient. She began to say she was Sorry, I told her please don't do that again. I thought everything was okay and then she took by paper work to the gal and then gal that made an appointment with me that same day. I would rate this office services a 0 rating. Instead of hearing my side of the story they took the side of their Business Manager and Refused Services to me. I would not suggest other Patients to go there unless you want to be rudely Mistreated by their Staff and Admin. Just to let you know that they also have the right to refuse Service to Anyone that they want to.

|  Disturbing Experience  |  show details
by Karly Grimes on Sep 15th, 2013

Aloha Hawaii patients, I am writing a review with hopes to not only educate Dr Stover, but to worn future patients. My mother recently had a tooth extraction through Dr Stover in Hilo Hawaii. During her procedure they removed jaw bone in order to extract her tooth. Which is normal this happens, however they did not tell her what they had done nor did they follow up with her to see if she was ok ! When she returned to his office he exclaimed that she was fine, without even examining her ! The second time she returned to him, he snidely replied to her that her heeling processes was slowed down because she is smoker ! My mother is 87 pounds and has been suffering for over three months in pain, thank you to Dr Stover ! It causes her excruciating pain when she try's to wash her face, let alone eat. It's a no brainer that she can not afford to not eat being that she is 87 pounds! She has been through three different courses of antibiotic treatment, due to the fact that she has developed an infection after Dr Stovers procedure. Mind you he was not the one to proscribe her the antibiotics, due to the fact that he treats his patients with state medical like second class citizens! On her third visit to Dr Stover, he explained to her that she could have a cysts and a sharp bone fragment causing her immense pain. Interestingly enough he never took an X-ray, might I ask you to ponder how he knew what was wrong without proper examination of his patient ( my mother ). Also informing her that the procedure needed to correct the problem that he caused, would not only cost her two thousand dollars but was conveniently not covered by her medical ! The lack of compassion for his patients is sickening, and the service received by his staff is pathetic. Although we are in Hawaii I see no excuse for the treatment she received ! If any thing you should be even more appalled, Where is the Aloha!

|  DO NOT LET HIM TOUCH YOU!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!!  |  show details
Aug 23rd, 2012

Dr. Stover is by far one of the worst experiences I have ever had with an oral surgeon or dentist! He did a tooth extraction and then a bone graft as my procedure. Went in 2 weeks later to get stiches removed and he said everything looked fine. Then went to my general dentist for a follow up when she told me the work Dr. Stover had done did not look right at all and I need to go back to him and see what's wrong. (Mind you this was 4 days after I just saw Stover and he said everything was fine.) So I went back to Stover with the referral from my other dentist and Dr. Stover proceeded to tell me that not only was the surgery done wrong, he couldn't explain why or what went wrong and then told me, get THIS....he could do it all over again but he was going to charge me the same cost for it again!!!!! I obviously told him that wasn't going to happen and was asking for some kind of explaination andwhy he would charge me again for the same procedure he messed up on and he walked out of the room!!!! He is a scam artist who will take your money, do a botched up job, and then try to do it all over again! Heartless, conniving, theif!!! Do your self a favor and DO NOT go to him unless you want to be scammed out of thousands of dollars!!!

Jul 21st, 2012

Excellent doctor and excellent experience.

Jul 21st, 2012

Excellent doctor and excellent experience.

|  Nightmare, Dr. John Stover Did Wrong Procedure On Me!  |  show details
Jul 1st, 2012

First off my first visit went very smoothly. The receptionist (black lady) was not very friendly and seemed annoyed that I was there which made me not want to be there. I waited over 45 minutes in the tense waiting area. Then I waited about 20 minutes more in the room while an estitician went over products. He came in introduced himself in a very spacious room but bot as much as i would have liked. The procedure felt a bit rushed but was okay. Nurses were trying to be helpful but i highly doubt these are RN's. The door was open the entire time, so if you like your privacy steer elsewhere. e seemed a bit loopy but my results were great. I had to cancel my follow up and they never cared to reschedule me or call me. Unfortunately my next appointment didNot go as smoothly. I waited another 30 minutes in the waiting room even though I asked for the first appointment because of the long wait time I had on my first visit. The room they took me to was a far cry from the one from my initial visit. It looked like a storage closet converted into a supply room with a chair shovedIn it. I was literally getting claustrophobic with the supplies surrounding my head. Very inappropriate place for a person getting a costly procedure done, or really any procedure. Very outdated. The Dr. Came in and reintroduced himself even thoughwe had already met from my last visit. He asked me all the same questions and I also told him how happy I was with myResults last time and for him to do the same. Then he began my procedure and I said,"this is not what you did last time" and he went on with the procedure. My results were HORRIBLE to the point that it was causing me to have headaches nearly every day . I went for a free follow up. I told the nurse the scenario with the doctor performing the wrong procedure and she looked at my empty file (it was open and I could see it) that maybe had two sentencesWritten in it! The only thing that was in their was3 words that the nurse wrote last time I visited. When Dr. Stover came in he introduced himself to me AGAIN (3rd time now, am I really not that memorable?) and I told him the scenario.He simply said sorry that te results werent what i was expecting and there was nothingLeft to do, that I simply had to wait. He talked to me for 30 seconds and speed out of the room. There is always something you can do in aSituation like this! An apology for the fact that he NEVER EVEN READ my chart prior to the procedure would have been better or he couldHave at least given me options. It was very clear though that he didn't care and that he didn't have time. This is the last time I fork over hundreds of dollars to a very un-professional. It's only a matter of time before this place gets smacked with a lawsuit.

|  Nightmare, Dr. John Stover Did Wrong Procedure On Me!  |  show details
Jul 1st, 2012

|  not so professional  |  show details
Sep 29th, 2011

This place leaves allot to be desired. Starting at the front desk. The office feels stressful and unorganized. No greet or barely a greet. Receptionist seems confused. Sometimes they add tax and sometimes they don't? and they don't even put it in the tax line they add it in your total? Wait time....35 minutes or more with no apologies? This place likes to waist your time. They don't make you feel welcome or seem to appreciate your business. The nurses (if that's even what they are) don't know much, and are unprofessional and uninformed. The doctor...well lets just say he needs to take a coarse in communication skills, he is lacking terribly. He seems to be somewhere else when you are talking to him(not focused.)The place is WAY over priced! and they don't show you the product before they use it on you? HMMM? Besides that, the Doctor is pretty good but needs coaxing to get the results you want. He seems a bit inexperienced in certain areas. He needs to listen more and spend more time with his patients so as to avoid any miss-communication and issues they may have. (In other words..be more thorough) Oh and if your concerned with privacy don't go here! They don't even shut the door when they are working on you? and to top it off the Doctor doesn't even require a follow up appointment? If I was a Doctor I would want to see MY work AND make sure my patient is happy he does not seem to care. Its pretty simple..customers will just go somewhere else and spend their money if they don't get treated they way they feel they should.

Jul 31st, 2011

one of the best doctors I have ever encountered

|  Damaged Tooth Extraction  |  show details
Jun 3rd, 2011

My own experience with Dr. Stover as regards the extraction of a severely broken tooth was excellent. He spent time explaining worse case scenarios (oral surgery in case roots had entered my nasal cavity, expensive) and best case (no root intrusion, simple extraction, far less costly).The tooth had a giant cavity under an existing filling and had broken, so half the exposed tooth was gone.There was no root intrusion as revealed by Xray and the extraction from numbing to finish took about five minutes. The badly damaged tooth broke during, but Dr. Stover retrieved the pieces efficiently and quickly. I healed up very fast afterwards, requiring no follow upI am very compliant about instructions from a doctor and know from my own experience with friends that many people are not. Bedside manner is a matter of individual need, and for some patients lots of reassurance is necessary, and that's perfectly okay. I didn't require that, and found Dr. Stover's explanations and time spent with me entirely satisfactory. Fast but thorough.

|  Worst mistake of my life  |  show details
May 6th, 2011

NEVER again... He discharged me from his office unconcious in a wheel chair. I had blood all over my clothes, I was choking on gause, and he said I just needed to rest. I ended up in te E.R. for hours. I was not ready for D/C. His response to my ride was "sorry if you don't like it but this is how we do it around here. I guess he need the bed for his next patient.

|  Do some research  |  show details
Apr 29th, 2011

I was a bit disappointed. I felt rushed and the Dr didn't spend any time explaining the procedure beforehand. I had to sign a 2-page disclaimer that releases liability for just about everything including breaking your jaw...he's also way over-priced. Maybe the spa treatments are worth the money, but for oral surgery do some research.

|  Completely Satisfied!  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2011

I am writing to express my complete satisfaction with my procedure performed by Dr. Stover. All of the staff were so organized, professional and personable. I want to thank them all for everything!

|  very good  |  show details
by HS on Jul 10th, 2008

I trust him as my doctor