Overall Review

3.8

April 4th, 2016
My 10 year experience
In 2006 I saw Dr Wain for a second opinion. There was no doubt after my visit that I would choose Dr Wain for my surgery. He extended an understanding of my CT scan and acknowledged that the tumor was so close to the lung wall lining that surgery was my only alternative to find out whether it was malignant or benign. The surgery indicated that the tumor was a non small cell 1 millimeter . Dr. Wain was in the recovery when I awakened and explained the procedure and diagnoses as soon as I the anathesia wore off. I was in MGH for two nights and was ready to be released. My follow up appointment followed in two weeks and after that I had no trouble making appointments every six months for the nest five years. Then I was scheduled for once a year but if I had any questions in the meantime, I was always able to get an appointment. I am surprised and concerned that Dr Wain is leaving MGH. He is not only a good doctor but beacame a person who I found great comfort in his manner and his ability to bring an individulzed understanding of my condition. He will be missed.

April 1st, 2016
Loving John Wain
Dr. wain was my second opinion doctor after being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. After thorough testing and biopsies, he assessed my cancer as stage 1. Dr. Wain removed my upper left lung and referred me to another specialist as it was discovered that I had an unrelated second cancer of the adrenal gland. I think the man is brilliant, highly skilled (I don't even have scars) and I enjoy his dry wit. I will forever be indebted to Dr. wain for the excellent care and second chance he has helped God give to me.

October 28th, 2015
Terrible bedside manner!
I took my grandmother to see Dr. Wain after the PET scan detected a small spot on her lung. As we were walking in the room (before we even had a chance to sit down!) He said, "did they tell you what's going on? You have lung cancer." His bedside manner was awful! It felt like you couldn't ask a question that he didn't seem irritated to answer. Nonetheless my grandmother wanted to continue to see him because he was highly recommended. He said he wanted to run more tests to see if she could withstand surgery, she had to call numerous times to get the appointment scheduled. Then he NEVER called back with results, even after her repeated calls and requests. She had to call her local lung doctor to have him request the records! The last time she called the nurse was all huffy and said he was on vacation for two weeks. 4 weeks later we now have to get an appointment with another doctor. Would NOT recommend him!

January 19th, 2015
THIS MAN SAVED MY LIFE: SO VERY CARING. CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD ABOUT HIM.

April 15th, 2013
There is none better than Dr. Wain
I was one of the fortunate ones in that my growth in my lung was not cancerous. Nonetheless, I still dealt with a lot of anxiety and fear of the outcome until the surgery was completed. I was told by some of my medical friends that I shouldn't expect too much "bedside manner" when dealing with a large hospital such as MGH. Nothing could have been farther from the truth in my experience with Dr. Wain. He was very pleasant (a nice warm smile), patient in his explanation of my possible condition, very kind in every way before and after my surgery. I feel very blessed to have had him as my doctor. He's a fine, caring and very humble individual who works very hard and cares very much for his patients.

February 16th, 2013
Lack of experience
Terrible experience with this doctor- arrogant and misdiagnosed my diease. New patients, be cautious.

February 14th, 2013
Because of this man's negligence and lack of preparedness for surgery, he opened up my father the first time and did nothing in order to save his own reputation and then opened him up again, debilitated him completedly to the point he wasn't able to fight his cancer. And when my father died, this was the only doctor who paid no respect. This doctor is a complete disgrace and should be stripped of his license.

February 8th, 2012
FORMER PATIENT
THE GREATEST. WHEN I TOLD DR. WAIN I THOUGHT HE WAS AN ANGEL, HE SMILED AT ME AND SAID JOE, MY HANDS JUST DO GOD'S WORK....

June 22nd, 2011
lung cancer
best surgeon in the world.........saved my life an no pain after surgery.........there is no one better than him...... excellent work........