Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Bret Hribar on Mar 18th, 2016

No finer surgeon anywhere! I had a hip replaced and I have referred him to 3 people to him. All have all used him for various procedures. All of their expectations were exceeded. One of my referrals had a hip replacement done and didn't even need any pain meds after she left the hospital to deal with post op. I went to him for a shoulder injury after my hip replacement, and although he doesn't do this particular procedure, took the time to meet with me, and then refer me to another surgeon. I wish someone could clone him so everyone could have him as a surgeon. I know he's busy, but he's worth the wait.

by Terry Burkhalter on Mar 10th, 2016

Great surgeon who also seems like a great person. I had both knees replaced at same time and had very little trouble

Great result! show details Great result!
by Jacqueline O. Mixson on Oct 5th, 2015

I am a Medicare/Tricare for Life patient, 72 years old. Dr Xenos did a total knee replacement on me and I have had absolutely no problems. He recommended a physical therapist near me and I did therapy as advised and I no longer have pain in my knee. I can get down on my knees now and I can walk rapidly again. I no longer need any kind of pain medication, even motrin, even after long days on my feet. Everyone in the office was great from the front desk to X-ray to the PAs and Dr Xenos and his assistants. I never felt rushed during my appointments and Dr Xenos has a great bedside manner.

by Colby on Sep 16th, 2015

I have seen Dr. Xenos for numerous injuries. (Knee/Shoulder etc). I am more than willing to wait to see him because I know that he will take just as much time with me. He has a great bedside manner that is all to uncommon among orthopedic surgeons. I would highly recommend him to everyone.

Beware...Labral repair for retired or active military with TriCare show details Beware...Labral repair for retired or active military with TriCare
by Trisha McClain on Sep 13th, 2015

Was recommended to see Dr. Xenos thru Tricare. Read his reviews and bio so I had total faith in his recommendation for a Labral repair. He was never on time for my appointments and I just took that as him being highly sought out but have a career and life so I set remaining appointments with his assistant so they were on time. I went thru Tricare for the approval and received it for the surgery so we were all set to getting better. I had the surgery and as everyone has said, he has great bedside manner. Two months after the surgery my bill comes. My insurance paid for everything except the code that dr. Xenos performed. Over 40k except the two codes for the repair that was 2400 or so. The very same thing they said was covered. After rude and nasty calls from his billing office from Lauren ( think that's her name) I find out that Tricare keeps kicking it back. After ongoing calls with Tricare I find out that yes, they did approve, and that they also have the repair on a no pay list. So I continued to communicate with Tricare and dr. Xenos office to get this rectified. The billing person, Lauren, continues to be rude and condescending like i was just opting not to rectify and when Tricare requested additional paperwork she informed me she had sent it once before and wasn't doing it again. So with more communication with Tricare and Dr. x X Xenos office and trying to get this sorted I then receive a summons to court. Amazing! When talking to Tricare main, they inform me that they don't know why I received an approval for those three codes they use for the repair, but I did and they also said the Dr Xenos gets updates on no pay lists every six months so he also would be aware. At that time they say he should have going over the procedure with me and informed and discussed the portion that the insurance wouldn't cover and discuss options, costs, payments or if I wished to go thru with it. Unfortunately nothing was mentioned and I signed no waiver and months after the surgery is how I find out. Considering his prior military service and was an Officer I am utterly surprised he shared nothing of the sort. Since I have the approval from my insurance I find out that I am NOT liable and I did not sign the form from Tricare that states when something isn't covered and that I would assume responsibility. I would then decide and arrange how I would pay the portion not covered if I continued or opt out not to have the surgery. That would be the professional way I would think but yet I continue to receive harassing calls from his billing office and just this week another bill from whom they use for collections. I have Tricare and the advocates involved from Carson to ensure Dr. Xenos gets the payment they authorized and have communicated it with the rude associate in billing yet continue to receive harassing mail and phone calls. Guess what I would recommend is that if you are military, prior military then beware. Tricare has Labral repairs on a no pay list and the DR is aware. If Tricare approved, Dr. Xenos will not discuss that it is on a no pay list and let you choose if you wish to continue and arrange payment for that portion but he will allow his billing office to talk to you and treat you rudely, a criminal and a second class citizen. They WILL also arrange for the hired goons from western control services to to continue to..: do what they do I suppose. You won't receive calls back from his office to address any issues either. I continue to deal with Tricare and the advocates in Carson and will ensure it gets addressed so that no other retired or active duty patient encounters the same issues and lack of professionalism I continue to deal with.

Doctor's Response

There are so many inaccuracies and falsehoods in this post that it would not be productive to respond to each. Nor is this the appropriate forum for the same. Rather it should be used as a catalyst to discuss care of Tricare patients. This post is a great illustration as to why most practitioners do not accept Tricare patients. Despite extremely low rates of reimbursement and cumbersome bureaucratic procedures, Colorado Orthopaedics considers taking care of active duty soldiers and their dependents an important task. When Dr Xenos was on active duty he was particularly affected by a specific incident that has provided incentive for him to take care of these patients no matter the cost. A soldier was injured in an airborne operation and was seen in the emergency department of the hospital. The soldier was diagnosed with a severe injury to his cervical spine. This injury was beyond the capabilities of the army community hospital as there were no spine surgeons assigned to that hospital. When attempts were made to refer the patient locally to a spine or neurosurgeon, there were no such providers that accepted Tricare in the surrounding area. Therefore, rather than obtain care locally, the patient was ultimately transported to the nearest appropriate physician that accepted Tricare which was greater than 90 minutes away; there he was given definitive care. Dr Xenos vowed that this would not be the case in the area he served when he left the military for private practice and that he would make every effort to care for patients that required treatment not available through the military system as in this case. As a combat veteran and combat surgeon that served in Iraq, Dr Xenos is very proud to take care of military patients. This current review is disappointing both for its inaccuracies as well as for the presumption that a physician should not be reimbursed for his efforts simply because he has served. Patients are responsible to determine their healthcare benefits prior to undergoing an elective procedure whether their insurance carrier is Tricare or another provider. Colorado Orthopaedics provides assistance with any patient needs as a courtesy, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the patient. Patients are given every opportunity to resolve financial issues regarding their care and are only sent for collection if they refuse payment in any form or do not respond to repeated efforts to contact them. In this case, there appears to be confusion between Tricare issues, hospital billing, and billing from the practice and the reader should be aware of these discrepancies. Additionally, there are significant differences between Tricare and retired personnel not using Tricare as the primary carrier. Most retirees use Medicare and Tricare for Life, which is an entirely separate program and is never at issue. Colorado Orthopaedics has cared for many active duty and retired military patients without incident and will continue to do so.

Unprofessional show details Unprofessional
by Jen K on Aug 16th, 2015

I drove down from Fort Collins to see this doc and the whole experience was a disaster. I waited for an hour and half and then finally just left! As I checked in I should have know because there was a person scheduled 10 minutes before me with Dr. Xenos. Really you are scheduling patients 10 minutes apart?!? I need surgery and I get ten minutes...no thanks. As I waited for over an hour there were no updates from the doctor or his staff. When I asked the front desk help, they acted as if I was unreasonable for expecting to be seen quicker than an hour and 15 min. What's the point of making an appointment if you get ignored and are asked to wait this long? I would NEVER recommend this practice to anyone, ever!

Doctor's Response

We at Colorado Orthopaedics apologize for your unacceptable clinic visit. Unfortunately, you were never seen by a provider at the clinic which had you done, may have left you with a different opinion. Although your post has several inaccuracies, it does leave an opportunity to provide insight into our practice. We do our best to take care of each patient's needs as an individual. That sometimes takes more time than anticipated and results in longer wait times for subsequent patients. Unfortunately, this can be unpredictable and we apologize to our patients who have had this experience. When put into a position to either stay on time or take care of our patient, we will always choose excellent patient care over timeliness as a general practice philosophy. Thank you to all of our patients who have been understanding of this and have potentially benefitted as well. We consider it an honor to be involved in your care and always will do all possible to prove that to you.

by Jeanne Fox on Jul 12th, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Xenos for almost 10 years now. He replaced my left knee in 2005. His patient and beside manner are above reproach. His commitment to your quick and complete healing is like nothing I have ever experienced before. He is kind, patient and understanding. You may have to wait to get into see him, but that is because he is taking his time with another patient and will give you the same in return for your visit.

Jun 10th, 2015

Dr. X is great. Expect a bit of a wait since he spends as much time as needed with each patient. He is worth the wait though!

A Colorado Super Surgeon show details A Colorado Super Surgeon
by Bill Schalders on Sep 29th, 2014

From the first contact with Dr. Xenos' office staff to my last visit after my bilateral knee replacements, I had confidence that I was in expert care. Dr. Xenos and some of his staff presented a highly informative joint replacement hospital seminar. He is dedicated to research and is highly skilled at both listening and explaining. Best of all, he gave me back my mobility and the best outcome I could imagine. Bravo, dr. Xenos!

Wonderful Surgeon. show details Wonderful Surgeon.
by Mary K. on May 14th, 2014

I needed surgeries to repair a torn meniscus in each knee and a friend recommend Dr. Xenos. (My friend is a medical professional and I respected her advice). I am very particular and carefully research all my medical decisions. Dr. Xenos' credentials are top-notch and he had the reputation to match my expectations. After 2 very successful procedures, I returned to work earlier than expected, pain-free. I rapidly regained full range of motion in both legs and my therapists were really impressed. When my husband's doctor told him he would need full bilteral knee replacements, I sent him to Dr. Xenos due to my own great experience. 6 weeks out from his surgery, his incisions have healed beautifully, he is experiencing pain only ocassionally (usually in conjunction with physical therapy) and has told everyone we know that he feels like a new man. He is already returning to the active life that became so limited as his knees deteriorated. We couldn't be happier that we found such a competent, caring surgeon as Dr. Xenos.

TERRY M show details TERRY M
Jun 13th, 2013

HE IS AN INCREDIBLE SURGION BUT HIS BEST QUALITY IS THE CAREING WAY HE TREATS YOU WHEN HE IS THROUGH WITH YOU R .SURGURY YOU WILL FIND YOU HAVE A FRIEND SEE YOU AT THE CAR SHOW

by Linda C on Apr 16th, 2013

I had suffered for way too long with hip pain and was referred to Dr. Xenos. From the minute that I met him, I had a feeling of trust for him, and that he really cared about me and the outcome of this surgery. I had seen other doctors and was ready with a long list of questions, that he answered very thoroughly. Dr. Xenos is a very successful doctor, both by reputation and financially, I am sure, but he won my heart with the watch that he wore. He could have had a Rolex or whatever, but instead he wears a simple but intricate watch that looks more like architecture than a timepiece. Like a workman may wear who takes pride in what he does, not what he makes for a living. He is easy to relate to and his followup in the hospital was fabulous. So reassuring. My surgery was very successful and I recommend him and his staff to anyone. He was a trauma surgeon in Iraq and that experience as well as perfectionism in all he does and what he expects from his patients and staffs constitute a true professional.

Very Bad Advice show details Very Bad Advice
by D. Allman on Mar 30th, 2013

Dr. Xenos recommended I delay surgery which seemed like good conservative advice at the time. After getting other opinions I found out that the effectiveness of this particular surgery drops off dramatically as more time goes by. Now, I'm trying to get in with another doctor as soon as possible in hopes that the surgery I need will still be effective. I'm pretty bummed.

Doctor's Response

Colorado Orthopaedics is committed to the highest level of care for our patients. In this regard, surgical treatment for most conditions is rarely indicated unless sufficient conservative or nonoperative measures have been employed appropriately. Patients who undergo conservative treatment measures without success are encouraged to return to the clinic in a timely fashion for reevaluation of other options that may benefit their condition such as surgical intervention. Choosing the right approach for each patient results in the best ultimate outcome.

Best doctor ever show details Best doctor ever
Oct 7th, 2012

Dr. Xenos is the best doctor I've ever encountered. Not only is he a fantastic surgeon, but he is exceptionally kind and compassionate. He performed two hip replacement surgeries on me with perfect results. Not only is Dr. Xenos a great physician, he is a great person.

When other surgeons don't know how, Dr. Xenos does show details When other surgeons don't know how, Dr. Xenos does
Aug 1st, 2012

Five surgeons said they didn't know how to fix my problem, but Dr. Xenos did. He has completed 2-3 times more surgeries than the average surgeon, has seen some of the worst reconstruction situations come out of Iraq and has studied with some of the leading surgeons in the world. He is very compassionate and treats patients with dignity. Most important, he is more honest and has more integrity than any surgeon you'll ever find. He will tell it to you straight and will follow through on what he says he can do. It's the small techniques that differentiate a good versus great surgery. Xenos has more critial extras in his surgeries than most surgeons will every know how to execute.

Best Doctor, Hands Down. show details Best Doctor, Hands Down.
Jul 25th, 2012

I had a great experience with Dr. Xenon and his entire staff recently. I had hurt my wrist and really needed to see a doctor ASAP and I called at 1:00 in the afternoon to try for an appointment. I expected to be scheduled out far in advance as this was what was happening at every other ortho practice, but the staff was able to get me in within an hour and a half! From the moment they answered the phone until I checked out at the end was exceptional. The front office staff is caring, compassionate and more than ready to assist. Dr. Xenos came in shortly after I was taken back and he instantly had mr laughing and feeling like I was in good hands.

Can you LOVE your Dr.? Both my husband and I do!! show details Can you LOVE your Dr.? Both my husband and I do!!
Jan 23rd, 2012

My husband has had both total knee replacement done by Dr. Xenos and I just had my first knee replaced by Dr. Xenos. I wouldn't have considered going to anyone else after getting to know him through my husband's treatment. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Xenos, he is a special surgeon and beyond that he is a special caring man. Both my husband and I truly love him!

Patient show details Patient
Jul 18th, 2011

This guy is an incredible surgeon and did a great job.. After 18 surgeries, I know the difference, and he replaced my previously replaced knee (a revision, its called--) with a new one. I have more range of motion than i have had since 1992! I cant say enough good things!

No problems show details No problems
May 8th, 2011

I have seen Dr. Xenos only once, but it was very easy to get an appointment--much easier than other orthopedic surgeons I have seen. The office staff was very friendly and professional--don't know about all the negative comments about the staff. I had no problem at all. The Dr. spent plenty of time and even asked before he left whether I got what I wanted out of the appointment--never had a doctor ask such a customer-satisfaction type question before. I will update these comments as I will be seeing him again.

THE BEST show details THE BEST
by C. McQuerry on Nov 29th, 2010

By far the best doctor I've ever seen !!!!!

2 hours and 15 minte wait show details 2 hours and 15 minte wait
Nov 23rd, 2010

There is no reason to keep a pt waiting 2 hours and 15 minutes for a 15 minute appt.

by Debbie on May 16th, 2010

Dr. Xenos was by far the best!!! I've had a total knee replacement followed by a revision from a previous Dr. I now have had my second revision done by Dr. Xenos and did an excellent job on my knee which feels great!!! Its been along time since I've felt this great with no more pain. I would recommend him to anyone!!!!

by ef wahl on May 20th, 2009

Dr. Xenos and his staff were most professional and exhibited concern and caring for my problem. He is an exceptional surgeon, and my outcome after surgery is wonderful. I was most pleased with his expertise and care.

by Priscilla Littau on Feb 10th, 2009

My first hip replacement by another physician was a joke. Dr. Xenos is the best surgeon I've ever had.

Dec 12th, 2008

Dr. Xenos is the best, it's the office staff that makes it difficult to want to be seen there. Very rude, put-out, generally unhappy individuals.