Overall Review

November 9th, 2016
Excellent surgeon, a great guy!
Dr. Zapas is an excellent surgeon as well as being a very nice, knowledgeable physician!.

August 17th, 2015
perforated ulcer
This man saved my life. I was in my early 20s and all of a sudden, one day I was in the most intense pain I have ever experienced. I went to Franklin Square (which around where I live is generally considered a bad choice) to get checked out. When the ambulance picked me up, they though I was on a "bad trip" or faking it to get pain medication. When I arrived at the hospital, I was sent in to receive a CT scan and that's when they found out something was seriously wrong. Flash forward 2 hours, the surgeon on duty did not show up... that's right. They did not show up. However, Dr. John Zapas was on call in the hospital and he was consulted. He came over and explained everything to me and said I would need to go into surgery. I agreed and they removed the perforated ulcer and stitched me back up. After a few days of recovering in the hospital, I was able to leave. Dr. Zapas came in every morning to check everything. His attention to detail was unmatched. He was actually a little angry about the surgical intern that who "installed" a bulb to collect blood from my lower abdomen. I was fine with it because I was happy to be alive. Anyway, long story short, here it is 3 years later, I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in engineering and my scar has healed nicely. I thank Dr. Zapas everyday for what he did for me.

July 27th, 2015
outstanding doctor
I was at the end of the road after being sick for five years. Dr. Zapas , just happen to be on call in the ER that Saturday. After the CT scan, he saw something that wasn't right. I had a rare condition of the Colon, called Volvlus. I thank God he was there that day. He is an fantastic doctor. After five years, I should know. His bedside manner is very friendly. He explained anything to me. The most important thing was why it was missed for so long. But he knew where to look, outside the box. I felt he really cared about me and what I had been thru. He removed part of my colon and I am on the road to recovery. Thank God.

May 29th, 2015
This man saved my life he is the type of man that is very caring makes you feel at easy his bed side manner is the best I wish all of my Dr. We're like him he gets 10 stars from me 😊

October 3rd, 2014
Safety Trainer ( Local Government)
I am a two time breast cancer survivor and I am proud to say that as a God -fearing woman a large part of your survival depends on the people you have on your team. I could not have asked for a more warmer, caring and compassionate surgeon who actually knows his stuff. He's my gentle giant. He is no longer at Franklin Square and I miss seeing his smile in the halls, but he will always be loved.

June 6th, 2014
Missed it
My father had a melanoma removed from his back. Dr. Zapas removed the growth and did a follow up 6 months later in which he was pronounced "clean". If he would have done consistent 6 month check ups after the first he would have caught the cancer regrowth. He failed and now my father is dead.

May 25th, 2012
Dr. Zapas is very compassionate & friendly. He spent as much time with me as I needed. He made sure I understood my diagnosis and treatment options. I felt like he cared about me and my family. Everyone in his office treated us like we were family. I would definatly recommend him to everyone I know.

May 15th, 2012
He saved my life
I had colon cancer in 2000 and I had gone to the emergency room. After I was admitted and was told I had colon cancer Dr Zapas operated on me 5 days later. Tests were ran and I went in the or and had 6 hour surgery. I had a re-section. I was in the hospital for a month. Franklin Square and Dr. Zapas and his team treated me very well. I go back next year for a colonoscopy. I have had 4 already. I had chemo for 6 months and I have been cancer free since then. He is a wonderful Dr. and very nice.

August 30th, 2010
Fantastic Surgeon
Haven't taken my dad for his post-op office visit yet. I would recommend Dr. Zapas without any hesitation. Fantastic doctor and very nice man. He was wonderful with my 83 year old father - took his time to explain things and made sure that dad understood everything, also answered any questions raised by the rest of the family.