Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Aug 24th, 2015

arrogant, took 3 phone alls in the 15 min I was there, after waiting 45 min past my appointment time.

worst I have ever seen show details worst I have ever seen
by dmac on May 11th, 2015

we went to dr zinkel twice.. the first time he said nothing was wrong with my wife and she needed two back surgeries.. the last time she was sent there he told her he could help her.. she needs surgery for arthritis in her spine..we went and had all the pre work done and then. waited for a call back. did not get one.. my wife called him and he had his nurse tell her he would not do the surgery.. said the hospital was not big enough or well equiped if something went wrong.. could not even talk to her himself.... just left her with out any idea of what she should do next.. I would NEVER go to this guy EVER... most unprofessional doctor I have ever seen if I could give a rating less than one i would

by Cindy Ward on Apr 24th, 2015

Dr. Zinkel was excellent with me after a test he did on my back he personally called me the next day to see how I was doing.

Feb 23rd, 2015

Dr Zinkel is a very good Doctor who operated on me twice, once for lumbar and also for cervical. The cervical one was the most important as I was close to becoming paralized and did not even know it. My spinal cord was very restricted. He was great as well as his staff. I would trust this man with my life, and I did. A very down to earth guy too!!!

Jan 15th, 2015

Very good

by James LaFond on Dec 14th, 2014

Dr. Zinkel is my favorite Dr. He is without doubt the best I have encountered in his field. He has performed two separate spinal surgeries for stenosis in 5 different areas of my back. Surgeries were done with no after problems. Two - Three week recovery from his minimally invasive procedure and I was back to doing most things. Pain gone and life back to normal both times. I have recommended him to many other back pain sufferers and will continue to do so. He is a miracle worker. He spent all the time I wanted explaining things and answering my questions and even called me at home in the evenings each time to discuss MRI's in more detail. Couldn't ask for a better experience or a better professional.

A Skillful, Confident, Talented Professional show details A Skillful, Confident, Talented Professional
by Patrick D on Oct 28th, 2014

I suffered all summer of 2014 with bad stenosis in L 4 & 5. My quality of life was diminishing by the week. The pain, numbness, tingling, you name it, in my left leg had progressed to the bottom of my foot. I learned of Dr. Zinkel from an ER visit for my lower back and leg. I followed up with him. Here's what I think: My life is back! This guy cured my condition. And I mean completely! He's a first rate surgeon and scientist. At the first visit / consultation, he showed me my MRI, told me what he thinks should be done, why it was necessary, that my condition had progressed beyond holistic and non-invasive procedures, answered all my questions, was a professional through and through. So is his staff by the way. And he fixed me! My life is back. I'm back to work in 4 weeks, walking, moving, living absolutely pain free. My 81-year-old mother, it turns out, has painful stenosis. I told her to see Zinkel. I am taking her to see Zinkel. I would trust him working on my kids. If this guy were a pitcher in the major leagues, he'd have been Greg Maddox: a skillful, confident, talented professional, one of the best ever.

Knows his stuff, but is very RUDE! show details Knows his stuff, but is very RUDE!
by Disappointed! on Nov 13th, 2013

He seems to know his stuff, but he seems to have something against over-weight people. He was extremely offensive to me, and I felt like he was putting me down without even knowing me. Quite frankly, he acting like a world class A-hole! It felt like he wanted me to feel bad about myself. I went to him for help and in return, I got put downs. I will never go to this doctor again!

Worst Doctor I've ever run across show details Worst Doctor I've ever run across
Mar 6th, 2012

He has an God complex. I can not express my distain for a doctor who simple would not allow a patient the opportunity to express their health history. He does not possess the necessary attributes to empathize with a patient.Get a second opinion.

Dec 25th, 2011

I had spinal fusion surgery after suffering for 7 years, and other docs telling me they could help me but wouldnt because I was too young(39). Had it not been for this Doctor I would have never gotten my life back. Eternally Grateful

the best show details the best
Nov 29th, 2011

one of the best in the Detroit area would recomend him to any one

THE BEST IN HIS FIELD. I WOULDN'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE! show details THE BEST IN HIS FIELD. I WOULDN'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE!
Jul 6th, 2011

Dr. Z is the best neurosurgeon in Michigan, maybe in the U.S.! I've had two back operations, both successful and pain free. Dr. Z doesn't allow his patients to be in pain. You are given very precise instructions, oral and written, when you have surgery. He makes sure he covers all the bases before he operates. He explains everything to you and your spouse. You bring copies of your x-rays, MRI's, CT scans, etc. and he reads them in the office. He also brings them into the room to review with you. His staff is great, friendly and helpful. If you are having back problems and are not getting relief, go see Dr. Zinkel. I guarantee he will fix it for you!