Internists, Rheumatologist

Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Ave
New York, NY 10032
212-305-4308
Locations and availability (6)

1.0

|  Wrong Diagnosis by Two Doctors at Johns Hopkins  |  show details
Jul 1st, 2012

I saw Dr. Giles at Johns Hopkins where he was then practicing medicine,in June 2010. I complained of terrible pain in my hip, groin and lowerback, using a cane to get around. Dr. Giles did not order hip x-rays,using a set taken 18 months earlier. He diagnosed DISH and lumbar spondylosis, ordered a spinal MRI and referred me to an orthopedist. Dr. Robert Peroutka, an orthopedist also at Johns Hopkins, simply reviewed the MRI, addedspinal stenosis to my diagnosis and generally concurred with Dr. Giles,prescribing a series of epidural steroid and facet injections. I wasgiven the infusions in June and July. In November, when I returned to Johns Hopkins and by which time Iwas using a walker to get around as the pain had increased enormously,the doctor who was administering the infusions ordered x-rays whichshowed that I needed hip replacement surgery. I spent seven months inabsolute agony for lack of a competent diagnosis which could have beenarrived at had Dr. Giles or Dr. Peroutka ordered appropriate x-rays on my first visit.