Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Hospital For Special Surgery
535 E 70th St
Upper East Side, New York, NY 10021
212-606-1000
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

• Currently 2.448275862069 of 4 stars
 |  Need More Info  |  show details
by Rob Ulin on Mar 14th, 2014

I am flying from Los Angeles to New York to have Dr. Deland perform major surgery on my foot in a few weeks. So far my experience with him has been great, but some of these posts sound terrifying. I would be most grateful if some of the people who had bad experiences wih Dr. Deland would contact me to give me information/warnings. Thank you. Rob Ulin rulin@paysonulin.com 310-394-8350

|  Elegant surgery, compassionate doctor  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2013

Dr. Deland is an old-school doctor who has compassion for his patients and passion for his work. His office is super organized and on top of things ...he gives patients a print out describing the procedure so there are no surprises, which can happen with other surgeons! He is a top bunion surgeon with elegant surgical skills. And he has elegant taste in shoes! Even his socks are top notch.

Apr 20th, 2012

I walked around for several years in increasing pain, until there was a serious impact on my life and the things I liked to do. My husband researched the best orthopedist for ankle/foot issues, and I was able to get in to see Dr. Deland in a short period of time. In fact, from the time I first called to make an initial appointment to the time I was in surgery was just 2 weeks. Dr. Deland made a diagnosis on the spot after having had x-rays done in his office - incredibly convenient. He has his own technicians and they know exactly how to perform the x-rays to his requirements. He doesn't have much of a bedside manner, like many surgeons, but he has magical hands. My recovery went just as he predicted, and I made sure to follow every direction to the letter. His office staff is wonderful - although one of his physician assistants could have a better bedside manner!

Mar 6th, 2012

Horrible doctor - no bedside manner. So cold that my husband had to intervene on my behalf and tell Dr. Deland to take it easy on me as I was nervous (he was about to pull pins out of my toes). My feet are so bad that I have to travel to Pennsylvania for a seoond opinon. Podiatrists that I've seen said that they'd never do what Deland did as I had stitches on the bottoms of BOTH feet, pins in my toes, and stitches on top of my toes.

|  First time I 've ever complained about a doctor.  |  show details
Feb 3rd, 2012

Six years ago I went to Dr. Demand for bunion surgery. What should have been straightforward turned into a mess. My foot never healed properly and still requires a special shoe. Sports and even running are impossible. Deland never explained anything. He suggested a second operation which he said might help. It did not and he suggested a third. I declined! After the surgery I asked what sort of footwear I should wear for the summer. His response: "I am not a shoe salesman!" as he waltzed out of the room. His office is also incompetent but that is another story. te about overall experiences-Write about what you like or dislike about your physician-Write about whether you would recommend-Write as if you are talking to a peer who is asking your opinion.

|  Don't waste your time or your money  |  show details
Jan 24th, 2012

Dr. Deland would be a good doctor if he took the time to listen to his patients and actually thought about what might be causing the problem. He seems to always be in a rush and has way too much going on at once. Don't waste your time or money.

Jan 4th, 2012

Dr. Deland is a wonderful orthopedic surgeon. He is incredibly thorough. My daughter went to him after suffering a sporting injury. He started with conservative treatment and didn't recommend surgery until it was a last resort. When it came time for surgery, he walked us through the entire process and made us all feel very comfortable. He's the best of the best. And I thoroughly agree with another post below, which says that some of the negative posts below are entirely unbelievable. Sounds like Vitals.com is allowing the same person to post over and over again. That's a shame.

|  Dr. Deland is a Genius!  |  show details
Jan 3rd, 2012

I can't even explain how wonderful Dr. Deland is. I had a rather complicated injury and he was the ONLY orthopedic surgeon that I could trust to fully think through what might be causing my pain and how to fix it. And, the best part is, my scar is hardly noticeable!

Aug 2nd, 2011

I had Bunion Surgery this past winter .. I am extremely pleased with the outcome .. Dr Deland did an excellent job !!

|  3rd time is the charm  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2011

This was my 3rd surgery to correct previous botched surgeries, done by other surgeons. Dr Delands knowledge, confidence, concern and follow thru are amazing. is staff in ofc and Hosp are beyond reproach. Patient concern is incredibly high...a fantastic experience. My surgery took 3x as long as expected and I have gone thru the various stages of recouperation right on schedule. I have never experienced any doubt with Dr Deland or any of his staff which is a pretty incredible experience in itself. I am very appreciative of a recommendation to go to Dr Deland and I thank my lucky stars I saw him. He is top notch across the board as is HSS.

Feb 5th, 2011

Deland was an artistic genius in reconstructing my foot and ankle. I now have complete flexibility without any pain.

|  Saved my life, my ability to walk  |  show details
Jan 17th, 2011

I suffered for three year with chronic pain w/ inability to put weight on my left toes, stand, walk for more than a block or so ... all due to a botched bunionectomy. My posterior tibial tendon was nearly severed. My surgery was very complicated (complete foot re-construction), with bone & tendon transfers, Achilles & calf strengthening. His gameplan was clearly explained to me as well as what would be involved with the months of recovery, PT, and other work I would need to do. Dr. Deland is both brilliant and compassionate, his reputation well-deserved. I find several of the negative ratings above unbelievable

|  Extraordinarily capable Orthopedic Surgeon  |  show details
Jan 5th, 2011

Professional and extraordinarly capable in every respect - dealt with a highly complicated problem with outstanding result(s). Staff is highly attentive and very experienced. Could not recommend more highly.

by Betty Parrish-Mensah on Jan 5th, 2011

I would highly recommend Dr. Deland. The ease in getting appointments, the one stop shopping with X-Rays and Catscans, and his staff's expediency with responding to e-mails, phone calls and writing letters regarding employment were all handled excellently. The pain management recommended by his office for my foot surgery could not have been better - I had nearly no pain! I live in the suburbs of NJ and travelled to NY for Dr. Deland's services. I would be willing to do this again if the need arises.

|  DR. DELAND RUINED MY FOOT!  |  show details
Sep 7th, 2010

I went to Dr. Deland as he was highly recommended, after surgery I realized that I was wrong in placing my trust in this man. He is an incompetent surgeon with absolutely no bedside manner and a disgrace to the medical profession. I went in for a simple surgery and left with a botched foot. I can no longer walk or perform any physical activities. My life has been destroyed and it is all thanks to Dr. Deland. DO NOT GO TO HIM! Find a doctor who will treat you with the respect you deserve and perform the adequate surgery to fix your problem. I wish someone had given me this advice before I went to see him. I curse the day that I walked into his office and subsequently had my foot ruined!

|  Deland the Destroyer  |  show details
Sep 4th, 2010

Dr Deland is an extremely poor surgeon. To call him a butcher would be kind. He destroyed my foot and my life. I went for a simple surgery which he clearly did not perform properly and now I have constant pain. I have had multiple reconstructive surgeries but unfortunately every doctor who sees my foot cannot believe the amount of nerve damage that he caused as well as the excessive amount of bone that he removed. Stay away from him and his office. I subsequently found out that he destroyed many other patients feet.

May 2nd, 2010

During the years of 1996-1997 Dr. Deland performed three surgeries on my left foot and ankle joint. Thanks to Dr. Deland I am living an active and healthy life today. I am completely ambulatory. Without Dr. Deland's professional and expert treatment and care Iknow that I would be telling a completely opposite story today. Thankd you Dr. Deland

|  Deland botched the surgery  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2010

His comment to me before the surgery was that no one has a problem with Mortons Neuroma when he does it. Well, according to 4 orthopaedic foot surgeons for consult, the surgery was done incorrectly and part of the nerve that should have been removed was still there. When I went back to Deland he tried to convince me that my pain was coming from another part of my foot. I showed him more clearly the spot and he said that he did everything right. He wanted to jump right back in and operate again when all the other surgeons said that the success rate for the second operation would be poor. I would not trust him to trim my toe nails. He lives in a world of inflated ego and a mutual admiration society at HSS. Find another doctor.

Mar 26th, 2010

I had hammer toe surgery. I made it very clear on three separate occassions that I did not want the procedure a syndactily (sewing of the toes together) performed on me. He did this procedure against my wishes saying that he thought I would have trouble putting a sock on. I have had so much trouble with this procedure ever since.

Nov 25th, 2009

Dr. Deland performed hammertoe corrective surgery on both of my feet. My toes are now deformed. When showing x-rays to two podiatrists, they both said that he took too much bone out. My toes are now overlapping. One podiatrist mentioned that if a podiatrist had performed the surgery, he would have been, "Nailed to the cross."

|  eh...  |  show details
Oct 3rd, 2009

Initially I liked Dr. Deland very much and trusted his opinion. After surgery, I realized he had performed a procedure on me we had never discussed. When it became apparent this extra procedure had failed, he ducked my questions. Very disappointing. I would not seek his care again.

|  Disgusting Bedside Manner, Horrible Experience  |  show details
Jun 24th, 2009

Arrogant, obnoxious, horrible man.After traveling from another state for this appointment, I could not have been more dissatisfied at the way in which I was treated and the lack of time given to me as a patient.

|  ne plus ultra  |  show details
by paul on Jun 22nd, 2009

seek no further

|  Top Notch  |  show details
by EA on Jun 15th, 2008

Dr. Deland is the guy to go to when a mistake by another doctor needs to be corrected. Did a very difficult surgery on my foot and the outcome has been very good....glad I found him!