Dr. Jonathan Newton MD Patient Reviews

no change

February 11th, 2016
Absolutely wonderful staff and great treatment!

October 26th, 2015
Wonderful, caring Doctor
I have been a patient of Dr. Newton for several years, and he has helped ease my chronic pain greatly through a variety of ways. I have always found him to be caring and thorough, one of the only physicians who actually takes the time to examine me and address my concerns on each visit. I was quite surprised to find a few negative reviews here- maybe some people are never happy anywhere.

July 21st, 2015
Great Doctor, Terrible Staff
Dr. Newton was very friendly. I felt like he was a little rushed in conversation, but if I asked a question he made sure to answer it. The downside of visiting this doctor was his staff. His office manager was very abrasive and had very little empathy for me in the situation I was in. Neither she nor her receptionist knew how to bill my insurance correctly, and they were insisting I pay out of pocket for my visit because I didn't have a debit card issued by my insurance company to cover cost from my flexible spending account. My insurance company does not offer this feature, and every other office I went to prior simply billed insurance like normal and if I were required to cover any costs I would get a bill. I offered my insurance information prior to the appointment to avoid any of these issues, but "They don't do that", and I was unable to avoid being inconvenienced or inconveniencing the office. After the office manager felt she no longer had anything to discuss with me, she actually slammed the glass window door in my face. Eventually I was able to get my insurance agent to explain to her how she should be doing her job, and I got into my appointment. Despite Dr. Newton's friendly demeanor, the only reason I am continuing treatment with him is because I can't afford to start over elsewhere.

May 20th, 2015
Great Doctor!
Dr Newton listened to me and found and treated my pain quickly. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I would recommend him to anyone in pain.

August 27th, 2014
Staff
Dr. Newton is a wonderful doctor. He is very honest, blunt in a kind way, extremely knowledgeable, and encouraging. His nurses are alway happy and courteous. But his billing staff is absolutely horrible!! The woman who handles billing said she would terminate me as a patient if I didn't pay fifty dollars extra, when his office is already $160 without insurance, and despite being his patient for over a year. I can not say if that came from Dr. Newton himself or if she is overstepping her boundaries, either way I was shocked and very disappointed at the absolute lack of compassion and unwillingness to work with patient's financial situation. Now, I no longer feel secure as his patient and my trust has been severely damaged. I am not at all comfortable with an office employee having the power to terminate my treatment under Dr. Newton, my doctor should be the only one with that power.

June 20th, 2014
Great Doctor
I came to Dr Newton after high recommendations from my PCP following an automobile accident. This was my first time meeting with a pain specialist so he was very thorough at explaining the process to me and the combination of his trigger point injections and physical therapy have made a significant difference in my physical state. I felt the staff was very thorough and professional. I got automated appt reminder calls which helped me not to miss my appts. I also like that he used the dictaphone while in the office so my concerns were noted for improved accuracy. Because of this useful tool I was able to leave his office with a full, thorough printout of my complaint, diagnosis, recommendations, procedures used, etc. These printouts were useful to me for work and for my attorney. I would highly recommend Dr. Newton.

June 6th, 2014
brilliant doctor
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Newton. I have been a patient of his for a year and he is brilliant! He is so knowledgeable, gets right to the point, goes over every thing very concisely, and is most friendly. One of my favorite things he does is dictating directly to my file via his computer while I am in the the room. This insures that I have heard his diagnosis not once but twice and I know that my file is up to date to the second and nothing gets missed. I couldn't recommend a better physician! His staff is equally kind, prompt, and accommodating. He and his staff a treasure to have here in East Cobb!

June 5th, 2014
a very good doctor
I have been seeing Dr Newton for over a year and never experience any of these complaints. He always sits down and listens to me. He even showed me my mri and told me what was wrong. he is careful with my pills and makes sure I am doing well without throwing lots of pills at me like other doctors do. I never wait long. And I like having a copy of the plan he dictates in front of me because I sometimes forget what he said. I have recommended him to some friends who also liked him.

May 23rd, 2014
EXCELLANT
AFTER READING REVIEWS I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ALL THE DEROGATORY REMARKS ARE ABOUT.I FOUND THE STAFF TO BE VERY HELPFUL AND DR.NEWTON TOOK HIS TIME AND EXPLAINED ALL MY PROBLEMS AND WHAT THE COURSE OF TREATMENTS WE WOULD BE TAKING.THIS WAS ALL DONE WITH A GREAT DEAL OF COMPASSION,TIME AND UNDERSTANDING.

November 11th, 2013
Not going back
Close to my house so my husband took me seeking advice on pain ... have pain remaining from chemo & significant spine damage. This is the first time I have seen a pain specialist. I felt like I was a kid getting a lecture. For me, I've been through enough, I want a Dr. that has at least a little compassion. He told me if I go to any other pain Dr.'s he will be notified - What???? I have been told I have fibromyalgia by a few Docs ... he rolled his eyes and dismissed it even though on his practice info he treats it? I saw him a couple times and felt the same way each time. As I am writing this in pain with no medication, no pain relief plan ... I am looking for a Dr. with a higher rating that can get me back on my feet. My husband & I both found him to be condescending. His staff is lovely & the office is nice ... glad he has helped some folks!

September 9th, 2013
Dr Newton is rude and a waste of time and money. He doesn't listen to what you tell him about your pain or interested in caring. I will not return to his office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 7th, 2013
Dr. Newton, Rude, Unprofessional, Find another doctor
If you want a combative doctor with horrible bedside manners who cares more about "regulations" than patients then this is the guy for you. Throughout every visit, he would cut me off as if he didn't have the time or interest in what I had to say. He constantly rambled on and on about "state regulations" and how those in the pain medication field were being watched closely because of pill mills. It was as if he was trying to accuse me of being an addict without coming out and saying those words. Conducted several procedures without an MRI or X-Ray. No relief from anything he did. Really aggravated me when he flat out made fun of my primary doctor's analysis, a guy I have worked with for 20 plus years. Not worth the time, effort or humility to go see this guy.
Doctor's Response

I am Dr Jonathan Newton and writing this as a response to the scathing comments left on this board by the three previous posters. The post are anonymous and HIPPA regulations prevent me from disclosing anything specific to patients, so I will try to address the points from a global perspective. First, I am saddened that patients felt this way in my clinic, it is most certainly not how I wish patients to feel. While it is not possible to make everyone happy, I regret that these people are so unhappy. I am English and sometimes my to-the-point manner is poorly taken. I certainly intend no insult. I do request any patient who is upset with my demeanor to bring it to my attention or my office administrors attention so it can be addressed. Second, I do run a pain management clinic which dispenses powerful opioid pain medications that are monitored and regulated by the DEA and Georgia state law enforcement. I prescribe these medications by virtue of a DEA and state license. Both these can be removed if either of these groups believe I am not adequately monitoring who receives these medications. Unfortunately recent data shows 4000 teenagers a year are experimenting, for the first time (not including repeat users), with these pain medications to get high. These medicines are largely coming from their parents, but also from people who deceive doctors such as me to get these medicines and sell them to whomever will buy them. I take my responsibility to prevent my patients who are on these medications from developing addiction problems seriously. I also take my responsibility to prevent my medicines reaching teenagers or other drug users very seriously. It is for these reasons, and others, that I monitor my patients on opioid pain medications closely. Unfortunately this monitoring does sometime upset patients. I truly regret this, and I take no enjoyment in this aspect of providing healthcare; I did not go into medical school expecting to "police" patients and their medications, but this is what I need to do as a pain management physician in Georgia. Thirdly, I do injections every day and understand they are painful by their very nature. I offer pain medication and sedatives by mouth to everyone who wishes them for the procedure. I do regret someone had a traumatic experience, but I would never be so callous as do what was described. I talk to the patient throughout the procedure; this is to explain what is coming and thus reduce anxiety, but also as a means to monitor how he patient is doing. If the patient does move during the procedure, I do tell the patient not to move as this is potentially dangerous when I am inserting a needle towards the spinal cord. I do this with respect for the patient and the vulnerable position they are in. Fourth, I do perform many interventions without prior imaging as many injections do not need X-ray or MRI. X-rays and MRIs are expensive and not always necessary. In fact, most insurance companies have strict criteria which need to be met before covering imaging. Many diagnosis can be made with a thorough interview, and good physical exam, and confirmed with a diagnostic procedure. This saves patients time and money and reduces their exposure to radiation. I always require an MRI before any epidural injections and X-rays before intra-articular joint injections or other spine injections. Muscle injections do not need any imaging. If I feel I am uncertain of the diagnosis I will order imaging if it will help in the diagnosis. My staff and I do strive to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. If we do not achieve this, we would like to know the areas where we have failed, and would have very much appreciated these patients airing their grievances with us so that we could address them. Sincerely, Dr. Jonathan Newton