Pediatric / Adolescent Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist

3.0

|  Great doctor for my child!  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2012

Dr. Tobkes has the trust of our daughter & has diligently worked on several issues to help our daughter with attention & school issues. When time was of the essence and he acted immediately. He listens to our concerns and reaches out on his own time to communicate with teachers and anyone we believe he can get any insight into our daughters needs. He is very thoughtful and listens more than he speaks, but his comments and suggestions are right on. I think it takes special insight to work with children and send a clear consistent message to help them conduct their developing selves as the individual that they are.

|  Arrogant, Incompetent, Uncaring Shrink  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2012

Dr. Tobkes is a physician filled with self importance. He can be charming at first but don't be fooled. He doesn't care about his patients. Not genuine. Seems to do the bare minimum to get through visits. Overcharges for his services (I am happy to pay for a well trained physician who is more interested in helping me than collecting my money or texting or looking around the room [?computer]). Greedy. Not as intelligent as he promotes himself to be. Sad. Avoid this psychiatrist. There are many others in NYC who can and will be willing to give you the help that you deserve while genuinely caring.

|  Refreshing approach  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2012

I started seeing Dr. Tobkes upon referral from my therapist. I had seen many psychiatrists before and always felt that they were just handing out scripts. Dr. Tobkes really gets to know me as a person, asks many questions about what is going on currently as well as what has happened in the past, family history, social history, medical history....he is very thorough and I always feel that he is doing an excellent job caring for me with my meds because he looks at the whole picture. He also speaks with my therapists between sessions o hear this angle as well. I think he just provides superb care to med patients (can't comment on strictly therapy patients because I am in a split-treatment)

|  QRS  |  show details
Jan 29th, 2012

Dr. Tobkes was referred to me by a highly experienced and respected psychiatrist in Manhattan who was treating a family member. I was very surprised at the arrogance (can be subtle at times) and misinformation given to us by Dr. Tobkes reagarding our adolescent. He was rushing and did not seem to be paying attention. Not recommended and I don't plan on going back.

Dec 22nd, 2011

This doctor was one of the worst I have ever gone to. He was condescending and rude. I will never patron his office again and be certain to tell everyone I come across to stay far away.

|  Do not waste your time  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2011

Dr. Tobkes was referred to me by an excellent psychologist who I have been working with for 2 years. I saw Dr. Tobkes a few times before realizing that I was wasting my time. He is arrogant (subtle at times) and not particularly knowledgable. He seems like he cares about you as his patient, but it comes across as disingenuine and I have a feeling that he tries to make all of his patients "feel special." More concerning, is that overall, I just did not get a decent feeling when being treated by Dr. Tobkes.

|  I see him for medication only  |  show details
Jul 8th, 2011

My therapist of many years referred me to Dr. Tobkes because I had been unhappy with my long time psychiatrist. Dr. Tobkes was a great change and a good listener. I'd recommend him for someone looking for a fresh perspective. It can take a little while to get an appointment, but once your his patient, he gives you his full attention.

|  Very satisfied  |  show details
Jun 17th, 2011

My 16 year old son has seen Dr. Tobkes for weekly therapy and med management for the past 7 months. We have seen a significant improvement in our son's mood and behavior. Moreover, he seems to really trust and be able to confide in Dr. Tobkes, which is something that he has not felt comfortable doing with prior psychiatrists. We are extremely satisfied with the care that our son is receiving, and highly recommend Dr. Tobkes.

|  Amazing listener  |  show details
Jun 14th, 2011

The way that Dr. Tobkes pays such close attention to what I say, to the point where he remembers specific important details and is then able to tie them into the larger picture and draw connections between past and current things in my thinking and in my life is just incredible. I think he is a genius. He has helped me to see things so much more clearly and to really start to make some changes in my life. I have never had a therapist like him before - and I wondered why therapy wasn't helpful before! It's really important to get the right person, and for me, that has been Dr. Tobkes.

|  Wonderful man and wonderful doctor  |  show details
Jun 13th, 2011

I am disturbed by the fact that all the previous negative ratings seem to have been written by the same person. The word usage and patterns are suspiciously similar. Dr. Tobkes is an excellent physician and has helped me enormously. There is someone out there in cyber world with lots of time on his hands trying to defame Dr. Tobkes and his comments should be completely disregarded.

|  Overall a positive experience  |  show details
Jun 6th, 2011

Solid doctor. Very straightforward. This was my first time seeing a psychiatrist and he put me at ease immediately.

|  Great doc!  |  show details
May 31st, 2011

I highly recommend Dr. Tobkes. He is genuinely kind and caring and has helped me a tremendous amount. When I started seeing him I was on a lot of different medications and he has since streamlined my meds which has made a big difference. He has worked WITH me to get the most out of my meds without over prescribing. All of the above makes him a great doctor and person to have on your side!

|  Great doc  |  show details
May 27th, 2011

Dr. Tobkes has helped me tremendously. I feel fortunate to have such an attentive, thoughtful, insightful doctor. He has an amazing memory and really listens to me. He offers incredible insights and has helped me through so many hard situations. He fine-tuned my meds (I was already on a complicated regimen when I came to him) and I feel so much better than I ever did before. I really have him to thank.

|  CB  |  show details
Apr 19th, 2011

Not great. He misdiagnosed me and treated me with the wrong medications until I found another psychiatrist who truly changed my life not only through medication changes but also through therapy. Seems like a nice guy, but perhaps a little rushed and narcissistic. Quite costly too, especially for what he offers.

|  Great psychiatrist  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2011

I highly recommend Dr. Tobkes. He is kind, thoughtful, and well-informed. He always returns calls the same day, and is very available to his patients. He is attentive and extremely compassionate.

|  PLEASE IGNORE THESE OTHER COMMENTS  |  show details
Feb 12th, 2011

Clearly these are all from one single disgruntled (and clearly disturbed) individual because 99.999% of people who see Dr. Tobkes would agree that he is caring, empathetic, warm, and gives truly excellent care to his patients. I have seen Dr. T in weekly therapy and med management for 3 years and I can very confidently say that he is one of the top psychiatrists in the city. If you can get in to see him, it will be the best thing you do for yourself. I am just so grateful for how much he helped me, and it makes me upset to see these nonsense negative reviews that are so obviously all written by one nut. Dr. Tobkes is amazing, and I credit him with getting me my life back after being in a very dark place.

|  Please do not waste your time or money on this doctor  |  show details
Jul 5th, 2010

I saw Dr. Tobkes for about 6 sessions and at first I believed that he was competent and cared about me as a person and patient. I fortunately soon realized that he is a doctor who is somewhat harried with an intermittent attention span and was not particularly concerned about how I was feeling nor was he particularly knowledgeable about medication (although he pretends fairly well, so don't be fooled). He is incredibly arrogant and seems to lack experience. Please see someone else. I am SO glad that I switched psychiatrists!

May 18th, 2010

Solid doc, really good guy

|  Awful experience  |  show details
Mar 28th, 2010

Please do NOT see this doctor. It was a waste of my time and money to see him. I saw him about 5 times and at first thought that he listened well and understood my problems. Then, I realized that he was an arrogant, poorly informed doctor who was rushed and only intermittently attentive. He tries to put on an act of caring and compassion but it seems like a cover up for his apparent lack of experience. Avoid seeing this doctor because there is much better help out there!

|  Useless and Arrogant  |  show details
Feb 1st, 2010

Dr. Tobkes totally misdiagnosed me and put me on a terrible combination of medications. Even worse, he is arrogant and not well informed, which has been verified by two other psychiatrists that I have consulted with since leaving treatment with Dr. Tobkes. Dr. Tobkes seems very nice and attentive at first, but on a closer look and after giving him a few months to help me, I realized that I was absolutely receiving improper care and am feeling much better now since leaving his practice. I would NEVER see him again or recommend this so-called doctor to anyone!

|  so far so good  |  show details
Dec 24th, 2009

I couldn't get an appointment with him for a couple of weeks after I first called so I was concerned that he was too busy to have enough time to devote to me, but I couldn't have been more wrong. When your in his office, you feel like you're his only patient - he listens so attentively and remembers everything you say from session to session. When you call him in between sessions with questions or problems, he ALWAYS calls you right back that day and is extremely responsive to all of my needs (he even told me to call him on the weekend to check in when I was changing medications).

|  BEST DOCTOR EVER!  |  show details
Dec 15th, 2009

Highly recommended

|  Bad doc  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2009

Misdiagnosed me. Recommended the wrong medications. And seems rushed and arrogant. Would not recommend!

|  WONDERFUL PHARMACOLOGIST  |  show details
Nov 2nd, 2009

After seeing multiple psychiatrists and having been on a host of medications without good response, I was referred to Dr. Tobkes by Dr. Richard Friedman at Cornell (who recommended him highly). Dr. Tobkes is incredibly warm, caring, and attentive, and always returns my calls within the same day, something that I had not encountered with other doctors in the past. More importantly, he devised a new medication regimen for me that has been incredibly effective and I am feeling the best I have felt in over a decade. He's top notch.

|  Wonderful doctor  |  show details
Oct 31st, 2009

I have been seeing Dr. Tobkes in his private practice for weekly therapy for the past 3 years. He is a kind, caring, and astute therapist who has been immeasurably helpful/insightful to me. His knowledge of medications is solid and vast. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

|  Terrible psychiatrist  |  show details
Oct 18th, 2009

Arrogant and not well informed. Waste of time!

|  Highly recommend Dr. Tobkes  |  show details
Apr 13th, 2009

I've seen quite a few psychiatrists over the years some good and some not so much. Dr. Tobkes is very knowledgeable and I trust his decisions/advice when it comes to medications!! He is very busy but he's still a good listener and cares about what you have to say.

|  patient  |  show details
Mar 9th, 2009

worst dr ever

Feb 9th, 2009

Dr. Tobkes is a very good doctor. He listens well. Like many psychiatrists, he is extremely busy and my sessions tend to be short. I see him at a center and not at his private practice. He is always concerned with my well being and is great at working with my needs.