Dr. Jorielle Bautista Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Jorielle Bautista?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

April 20th, 2009

Patient and friendly. She took the time to answer my questions and I didn't feel rushed

July 11th, 2008

High-risk pregnancy not detected, son has cerebral palsy

I'm very unhappy with the prenatal care I received from Dr. Bautista. I had a high-risk pregnancy and didn't even know it. My medical records show that 2 ultrasounds, done at 20 and 25 weeks could not find a portion of my son's heart. Neither the radiologists at Swedish Ballard Hospital nor Dr. Bautista called for further testing. After 28 hours of induced labor my son was born via c-section with a heart defect. Everyone in the operating room was scrambling to figure out why he turned blue 3 minutes after birth. My son wasn't intubated until 23 minutes after birth, and even then it took longer to get the right oxygen levels. At 9 days old my son had open-heart surgery to fix the heart defect. At 1 year old he had his first seizure and wasn't holding his head up on his own so his pediatrician scheduled an MRI. The MRI showed that our son has cerebral palsy. I believe the cerebral palsy could have been prevented if the birthing team had been prepared for a high-risk pregnancy. Our son would not have suffered oxygen deprivation. He would have been born at Swedish First Hill, which is much better prepared for high-risk pregnancies than Swedish Ballard. Dr. Bautista and the radiologists at Swedish Ballard were admonished by my son's cardiologist and told to send patients to her if there are any questions about the heart on the ultrasound. When I discovered a week after the c-section that my left calf was hurting and went in to see Dr. Bautista she said that she "hurts everywhere when she's stressed out", as my son was to have open heart surgery that week. It didn't seem like she took my symptoms seriously but relented to having an ultrasound done when I wanted one. I had a blood clot. I think this too could have could have been prevented if I'd been told to move around after the c-section. I tried NOT to move for 2 days after the surgery because I thought you weren't supposed to move around after surgery, but much later found out just the opposite. No one in the Swedish Ballard birthing center nor Dr. Bautista told me this. Furthermore, when my son had his open-heart surgery the surgeon tried to contact her but she was gone on vacation and hadn't informed any of us about it or even checked in to see how our son was doing, even though she was his pediatrician at that time.

May 24th, 2016