Dr. Jose Martinez, MD
Ophthalmologist (eyes)

First class people and retina care! show details First class people and retina care!
by Joe Polizzi on May 13th, 2016

I was highly recommended to Austin Retina by my primary eye doctor for the first time for a chronic condition. I found Dr. Martinez and his staff to exceed the glowing accolades of my doctor. The amazing staff is friendly and efficient and Dr. Martinez is extremely affable and informative and I always look forward to seeing him.

A true caregiver show details A true caregiver
by Damon Howxe on Apr 4th, 2016

After a very negative experience with an Opthamologist and no diagnosis. I was so blessed to get to Dr. Jose Martinez. "You should get all the vision you have lost back". The best words I have ever heard. No judgement of me or my illness just compassionate care.

Miracle Worker show details Miracle Worker
Mar 29th, 2016

It's hard to know where to begin with Dr. Martinez. His skill, compassion, professionalism and overall character are second to none. My condition is a rare one, I have multiple implants in each eye, and my battle with the fear of blindness has endured over 11 years. I'll try to make it as short as possible. Summer of 2004 I woke up legally blind, only able to differentiate shapes and shadows. Numerous ophthalmologists later, I wound up being referred to Dr. Martinez and Austin Retina, which I credit as my saving grace. I was 14 at the time and battling for my vision - a truly nightmarish situation. The moment that I met Dr. Martinez, all of it seemed better. He is such a professional, and such a caring person, that it's hard to explain in a Yelp review. You know that feeling you get when you meet a truly genuine good spirited individual? That's what you get with Dr. Martinez. I've been under his care all of this time, and I would never, ever, think of going anywhere else or trusting anyone else with my vision. The fact that I was legally blind, and now have 20/25 - 20/30 vision, without glasses, is beyond remarkable. Dr. Martinez has been there for me through thick-and-thin. Semi-monthly, 6 month, 2 day appointments, it doesn't matter, he's always happy to see you and always greets you with that great smile of his. He truly goes above-and-beyond for his patients, and I know that first-hand; he loves what he does. He's always been sort of a father figure for me. He's watched me grow up and has never left me feeling alone in this battle. Whenever I was scared about going in for surgery (8 eye surgeries, more than half have been performed by Dr. Martinez) he lays out all of your options and gives you the vital information to make your own decision in comfort. He would never suggest anything for you that he wouldn't provide to his own children. I've constantly heard from other doctors how much they love Dr. Martinez and what a great man he is (what other physicians complement each other and remark on their professionalism?). As I said, my situation is extremely rare and have multiple implants in each eye. I know, 100%, that I wouldn't have made it this far, or be the man I am now, without the loving care of Dr. Martinez. For example, I developed an infection in one eye last year and I had to endure direct injections to the eye on a weekly basis. All while just starting my new dream job and unable to miss any time due to a probationary period. Dr. Martinez worked around MY schedule and assured me that he would do everything in his power to get me the best treatment without having to miss any work - truly an amazing person. Every time I see him he asks how my little sister is doing, how my job is going, etc. He loves what he does, and he loves his patients, period. He's a true professional and his office/staff are extremely well-kept and welcoming. He's a miracle worker. I believe that with all of my heart. I love you Dr. Martinez and Austin Retina, there's no way that I can ever repay you for all that you have done for me.

Seeing Clearly Now! show details Seeing Clearly Now!
by Anita Aleman on Mar 11th, 2016

I met Dr. Martinez Labor Day Weekend 2005. My vision was getting blurry that weekend. I could barely see the eye charts. The hospital referred me to the "on-call" ophthalmologist. Thank goodness it was Dr. Martinez. It is now 2016 and he has managed what has been a long battle with Harada's disease. There is no one that I trust more than Dr. Martinez!

by Shawn on Feb 16th, 2016

I have been under the care of Dr. Jose Martinez for over ten years. I was diagnosed with a type of eye disease which is very serious and difficult to manage. While under Dr Martinez's care my vision, stress level and overall confidence that my condition can be successfully treated has greatly improved. The possibility of losing one's eyesight or experiencing it deteriorate is a terrifying prospect, however Dr Martinez and his staff have made my experience so much less painful and stressful.

Ms. show details Ms.
by Samantha Minardi on Feb 12th, 2016

Dr. Martinez is a truly caring ,personable doctor. But that isn't what has made me continue to seek his services for the last eight years. I want the very best to help me with my eye disease and I certainly have found it with Dr. Martinez .....and we have gotten some nice results from his treatments. I certainly wouldn't trust anyone else with something as precious as trying to preserve my vision.

Outstanding! show details Outstanding!
by Chuck Croft on Feb 9th, 2016

Excellent "bedside" manner, answers questions clearly and patiently, explains procedures.

by Mike P. on Feb 3rd, 2016

Excellent experience with Dr. Martinez. He repaired a macular hole in my retina. I would recommend Dr. Martinez and his staff without any reservation.

by Robert Gilmore on Feb 3rd, 2016

great doctor, he has saved my vision by his care in taking care of my diabetes retinopathy.

Best bedside manner ever show details Best bedside manner ever
Jan 26th, 2016

My husband's been a patient of Dr. Martinez for years, and we're really happy with him and his staff. He sees a ton of patients daily, but is always warm and answer any questions patiently. He even reworked the way patients are tested and treated during each visit to dramatically speed up the process. Now we're in and out in less than an hour. Every staff member is always warm and friendly, and make a difficult illness a bit easier to bear.

15 years of great service show details 15 years of great service
by A Calhoun on Jan 26th, 2016

I've been visiting this office for 15 years and have consistently had a great experience both with the doctors and the staff. I was struck with a very rare eye disease at a young age and shopped around Austin, Houston and Dallas for the best doctors. I made a final decision to work with Dr. Martinez and I have not once regretted. He embodies everything I hope to have in a physician; expertise, compassion and friendliness. I strongly recommend his services.

by Michelle Copeland on Jan 23rd, 2016

I would not trust anyone else with the care of my eyes!

by WM - Pf on Jul 4th, 2015

I have had two surgeries with this doctor this year and both experiences were excellent. He took time to explain the procedure, risks, etc and both surgeries were very successful. His staff, especially the scheduler (Connie Hess) did an excellent job with getting approval and coordinating with medicare, my ins. co. and the surgical hospital. The experience with Dr. Martinez, his staff and the staff at Northwest Hills Surgical Hospital was excellent.

Retina surgery show details Retina surgery
by Kathryn R on Mar 9th, 2013

Such an awesome doctor and staff. Made a retina surgery less scary. Really put me at ease and made me feel comfortable about the whole surgery process. Just wish the Round Rock office was open earlier on Tues. and also more days available. I know most of us would rather drive to Round Rock than Austin.

Aug 16th, 2012

He moves far too quickly and gives you VERY little time. He averaged considerably less than ten minutes a visit (maybe ten visits total). I never had confidence in what he was doing and should have stopped going sooner. He is not impolite, but he is flippant and moves through the problem seemingly without giving it enough attention. His recommendations and diagnoses conflicted on occasion and I never did figure out the exact nature of the problem. There are too man better choices in town. I would never recommend this guy.