Internists, Infectious Disease Specialist (virus, bacteria, parasites)
Video profile
Stanford University
300 Pasteur Dr
Stanford, CA 94305
650-723-6961
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

|  Acute vs chronic care  |  show details
Oct 21st, 2010

I have many life-threatening medical conditions. I therefore see many doctors. In my lifetime, I have seen at least 50 or more different doctors. Most of these doctors do not want to see you until your medical condition is way advanced. Dr. Montoya is a rare person and doctor, in that he does not place that condition on care for the patient.If you have to wait for him, know that he will run YOUR appointment as long as need be to take care of YOU, which will run him even more late for the next person. Do you want him to do that? My advice is to work around any type of annoyance to get to see a doctor that really does practice medicine proactively. Good luck finding someone else who will do just that.

|  show details
Sep 11th, 2010

Dr. Montoya is a gifted diagnostician who listens carefully, usually answers questions thoroughly and maintains contact with my other doctors. I see an attending/resident before seeing Dr. Montoya, however Stanford is a teaching hospital so I think that's to be expected. It's also acceptable since Dr. Montoya then spends sufficient time with me himself.Scheduling appointments is a logistical nightmare.The most difficult aspect of being one of Dr. Montoya's patients is his total inaccessibility between appointments. Questions can only be relayed through one, sometimes two, layers of people. Therefore, answers are limited and at times include phrases such as, "Well, I assume Dr. Montoya meant...." If the answer generates a new question, then the relay process begins again. I know Dr. Montoya is an extremely busy person, however since he specializes in difficult diagnoses and prescribes intense courses of treatment, there needs to be some way for patients to contact him. If his accessibility issues can be resolved, then I would recommend him highly to anyone who asked.

|  Dr Montoya is very poor in patient care  |  show details
Jun 11th, 2010

I went to Dr. Montoya on recommendation & reference from my endocrine specialist. I got an appointment after 2 months.On the day of my appointment, I was made to wait for >2 hrs in a clinic room because Dr. Montoya was late (reason given to me was very vague); Before he saw me, he sent his medical assistant (resident dr.) who spent 30minutes with me (it seemed as if he was stalling for Dr. Montoya); when Dr. Montoya finally arrived, he spent no more than 5minutes..yes, a total of no more than 5minutes. He focused on one quantiferon (TB) test that was done earlier and that was it...I have been ill for over 3months and Dr. Montoya could not bother listen to any of my history??Beyond that, he ordered a CT scan for my chest; Now, the order of the scan did not go to the radiology because it had not cleared Dr. Montoya's clinic..reason being that my insurance company requested a call with Dr. Montoya. It has been over 10 days, and Dr. Montoya has not called the insurance company to clear the CT scan. All-in-all, Dr. Montoya has displayed very poor patient care. I am also really frustrated with the Stanford system of medical care, where it takes several weeks to get an appointment. My recommendation is to go through private practices or maybe PAMF.