Dr. Joseph Abularrage Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Joseph Abularrage?

Asthma

Asthma

Have you seen Dr. Joseph Abularrage?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

Neutral

May 19th, 2016

This bad review is truly about Angie the outrageously rude office manager. She is the reason we left the practice. Where to start with her I don't know because I don't have one good thing to say about her. She smokes outside of building, always smells of smoke, gross smokers cough, and long unsanitary yellow nails. She is demeaning to staff in front of patients, rude and difficult with patients. My husband had to put her in her place several times because of the way she tried to speak to him. The last straw for my family was when she hung up the phone on me when confronted with a lie regarding some insurance issues! Crazy I know! She has a serious control complex. The doctors are decent, especially Dr. Takla and Sinesi. Dr. Abularrages wife Peggy is sweet, but when I talked to her about my concerns, and the very bad reviews they were getting online about Angie she basically said- "well we don't read the reviews" aka we don't care. In this age of online everything, I think they should care. Besides why would you not care if your patients are unhappy? Every time I walked into the office the tension was so thick I could cut it with a knife! The rest of the office staff was a constant revolving door. No wonder why. In the end we decided we were not going to pay to send our daughters here anymore. There are so many wonderful doctors in NY, there is just no reason to deal with this type of stuff. I feel silly now staying there for so long. We absolutely love our new pediatrician, and the nice, normal office staff. It makes all the difference. Angie would be great working at the DMV or a used car dealership with her nasty personality. Not with sweet children and their parents. Last word on this practice, stay away!!!!!

September 1st, 2015

Staff is extremely rude, especially Angie. To the point that you cringe when you hear the way she speaks to other patients. Doctors call back hours after contacted for emergency .

April 15th, 2014

Dr. Abularrage gives a lot of consideration to his patients as well as their parents. His office gives the kind of medical care that I know many other patients do not have the advantage of having.

April 11th, 2014

Dr. Abularrage

Dr. Abularrage is a very kind and affectionate pediatrician. He works efficiantly and patiently with all his patients and makes sure to do everything he can to help them with what they need.

November 19th, 2013

Sad that parents dont feel comfortable at the pediatrician

It is sad to say but I hate visits to Dr. A's office because of his rude staff particularly, Angie. She is interrogative and pawns on money especially missed appointments. She makes it difficult to see the doctors if you owe the 20 dollars for missing appointments. More over she is aggressive and disrespectful.

January 23rd, 2013

Not what he once was in his younger days

When we first found Dr. A. we were very impressed with his year after year rating of being one of NY's best doctors. But, after going there for several years that has now faded. I have come to be very dissapointed with him. There are 3 doctors in that office. About him: Dr. A. really loves to boast about his many degrees and status at being Chairman of this and that and being the Head of Pediatrics. While it is impressive, he is definitely not humble. I have noticed that he likes to take the most important cases himself, like the "Apr 9, 2011-YOUR A GODSEND" review below. Of course she was impressed. He actually paid special attention to this child. But, that is not the case with all the patients. When one goes to a doctor's office, especially a pediatrician, you would like for the Dr. to have a certain way with the child. You want the Dr. to make you feel like he really cares for your child. Well, his favorite saying how he gives the same things (vaccines, medicine, etc) to his grandchildren has already gotten old with me. You can tell that underlying his personality is that of not such a nice person or is a very patient person. At the time of the visit, it's quick and to the point. But, he will not brush you off and I think he is cognizant of that so as to not offend you directly. He stresses the flu shot constantly. And, it's quite annoying, almost to the point of harrassment. I don't believe in the flu shot and should have my wishes as a parent respected and not constantly asked if my children received a flu shot. It feels like he doesn't thoroughly check the child and spends a lot of time writing in the child's chart. He is obsessed with following the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics. But, if you're knowledgeable of them they change their recommendations yearly, such as how long a mother should breastfeed for the benefit of her child. Everything is the AAP this and the AAP that. I'm so fed up with this constant trying to coerce me into doing things to my child because the AAP recommends it. He bedside manners are nil to none. He is not warm with the children. He just checks them and has discussions with the parents. There is no warmness, no joking, no talking to the child, just analyzing. The visits are very quick and to the point. I'm almost afraid to ask him things because he seems to be in a rush all the time. Office staff: The biggest and only crux in the office staff is the Head of the front office, Angie. While I sympathize with her defeating cancer and a stroke, I am infuriated with her behavior and attitude towards parents and her subordinates. When I refused the flu shots, she said I had to sign a "legal document" which had the AAP (again) as its letterhead. I asked her how is this a legal document. She had no justifiable answer. I asked her what if I don't sign it. She said it would be noted in the file. Well, this threat of intimidation did not sit well with me at all! How dare you try to inimidate me with this bogus threat like we're back in the McCarthy era. She is very rude and does not treat her subordinates nicely. If you've been going there for a long time you should have noticed the HIGH turnover in staff. People don't like to work with her. I've talked intimately with staff over the years and they have expressed her overbearance and how she tries to control them. It's a pity to treat nice people like crap. She is a smoker and when she comes back from smoking she reeks of it. Her fingernails are yellow-brown and are about 2-3 inches long. They are a very ugly sight and very unprofessional looking. Office policy: You must show your insurance card for them to verify it's what they have on file EVERY SINGLE VISIT. This is the first time I have encountered such a policy anywhere during my entire life. It's ridiculous! It's annoying and frustrating. Angie knows who you are by name and yet, it never fails, you must show the insurance card. They do not like it if you don't have the copay for the visit. They only take cash. But, it's ok for them if they don't have change. They will credit your next visit. In this case, what's good for the goose is NOT good for the gander. They do hold your spot for 15 minutesif you're late. But, after that everyone else goes before you and you could be there easily for over an hour. They are open on Saturdays. But, the policy is to not answer the phone. You have to leave a message and wait more than a half hour to receive a return call. I've had situations where my child needed to see the Dr. due to illness and had to wait like an idiot for a phone call. The child's urgency or importance is lacking here. They have no call center to reach any of the Drs in case of an urgency, but not an emergency. After hours there is no way to contact any doctors or staff. You have to go to the hospital. They make follow-up visits for the most ridiculous things. They will not combine several things in one visit. You need a visit for very little thing so they can bill the insurance company separately. This is really frustrating because it's costly (copay and gas) and time consuming. My experience: They misdiagnosed, or I should say, gave no clear diagnosis about my child and he ended up in the hospital for 3 nights with pneumonia. He had a raging fever that wasn't going away for 4 days. Within those 4 days, we went to Dr. A's office and was seen by the 2 other doctors and first was prescribed an antibiotic that did nothing becuase he wasn't sure what was wrong, and then 2nd Dr. suggested we could go to the ER if we felt the need. My child looked very very sick and this was his suggestion. He should have insisted we go to the ER immediately. When we arrived at the ER, the nurse immediately knew he had pneumonia by his symptoms and he was given an xray and an IV and antibiotics immediately. This experience has left such a sour taste in my mouth at their capabilities of being great doctors that we are switching doctors.

October 24th, 2012

mother of a 5 year old patient

dr. abularrage has horrible attitudes and he never knows my kids name. He isn't very friendly and he is nasty to his staff infront of patients. His bedside manner needs alot of work. The hospital needs to see him in action to know who he really is.

August 13th, 2012

He wants to overcharge you with non-necessary office visits

May 29th, 2012

Angie the so called office manager is rude, clueless and has no bedside manner. Di=r Abularrage is ok, however his thing is sending you to a specialsist and then he makes you make s follow up visit. He makes up what he does at visits and charges the insurance company false claims. He will not combine 2 things in one visit ie flu shot and filling out a school form. Everything is a seperate visit to charge more.

November 1st, 2011

Rude staff

The doctor & the other doctors in his practice are all pretty good and is caring. But the Staff (the skinny one named Andrea?) is so nasty, that I dread calling or having anything to do with her. The rest are professional, so that is the only reason why I deal with them. He needs to get rid of her or his practice will most likely suffer.

September 17th, 2011

Just doesn't care

Doctor was recommend by family member with older kids but they admitted that they have not seen him in a while. Practice has a number of doctors. As my newborn got sick I looked for some guidance from the doctor but received none. Just received calls telling me that I'm late for there appointments while my baby was int the hospital. I told them a number of times and asked for a call back. I finally received one after two weeks. Doctor made sure to tell me how great he is and how many awards he received while i was trying to ask him what to do about my sick baby. He seems more concerned with him self then any sick patient. He has definitely lost the love to practice a long time ago.

April 23rd, 2011

Smart, not snuggly

I've had an overall positive experience with Dr. Abularrage, though I think the addition of Sinesi is clutch. The follow up visit policy is onerous, at the same time, I've blown them off and what do you know it - my kid's ear infection is back. Angie is rough, very rough to deal with. He doesn't mess around with touchy feely stuff but he keeps up on the lit in the field and he's quite sharp. He called me back on Easter Sunday two years ago by the way.