Dr. Joseph Acquaviva MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

June 25th, 2015
PUTRID PRACTICE
Abusive staff. This led me to further research the practice, terrible reviews on other sites . Its not worth it, $400, dollars up front to be abused, thank you but no. They have horrible reviews so beware and do your research. Abusive staff = abusive doctors. This practice is not affiiated with any hospital, who would have them, and do not participate in insurance again who would have them, If you need a doctor search at the hackensack hospital website.

April 20th, 2015
Diligent and Creative
I have been treated by Dr. Acquaviva since late 2005. He is very thorough and always looking for new ways to handle my persistent depression and anxiety. I have had high and low points, but I attribute this to the disease, not to the care. He has always treated me with respect and never made me feel rushed. He is available for emergency calls and always has suggestions. My biggest problem is with his office staff, which is currently in transition, thank goodness. I'm very grateful for his intelligence and creative thinking. I would not hesitate to recommend a friend.

February 5th, 2015
Fabulous Doctor
Dr. A is a great MD! He has helped me tremendously. He has a wonderful bedside manner and is very easy to talk to. He's very knowledgable and current with all the latest research/studies. For anyone to give him a bad review it could not have been him. I think it was more the patient with an issue.

September 10th, 2014
He used to care
I had seen Dr. A over 15 years ago after a MDD episode. He suggested a newer medication at that time and it worked. I was very thankful for Dr. A's suggestion and appreciative of his care and his caring attitude. Years went by with no health issues until recently where I had a slightly different health issue and decided to contact the doctor. Unfortunately, this time my experience differed greatly. He suggested a medication that simply was not working. Even after weeks of this medication and no change, he had no alternatives and basically expressed frustration. Keep in mind I had seen him only twice in 15 years. And with this recent issue, I saw him ~9 times. My impression is that he is burnt out or frustrated with his profession. It is, undoubtedly, a challenging career, however, his sincerity does not seem the same as when I first saw him over 15 years ago. I might also add that his staff is terrible. His 'office manager' is simply curt and rude and, unfortunately, the other receptionists follow her lead. It is too bad really. He was, at one time, a very good doctor.

April 15th, 2013
Review Treatment Process Carefully
Prescribed dangerously high dosage of medication that is intended for severe psychotic and mood disorder as opposed to condition with a psychotic feature. Medication IS NOT FDA approved for this use, but instead is commonly pushed by pharmaceutical company as off-use drug. Patient was hospitalized as a result. Obviously the drug has different effects for different patients, but the risk is large for off-use. This doctor is simply a capitalist. He diagnoses (correctly or incorrectly), makes his money, and moves on. For many lucky patients, this is great, but not for all.

February 9th, 2011
Sorry...
I have been seeing Dr. A for 16 years. When others misdiagnosed me as bi-polar, he correctly diagnosed me and got me on the right medication. Because I have a chronic condition, I continue to see him and I have found him compassionate and caring. I'm sorry these other people have had bad experiences but this doctor literally saved my life. I am certain I wouldn't be here today if not for Dr. A.

December 30th, 2010
Pass This Doctor By!
Be aware that this is a doctor, by profession, who should be compassionate but falls far below standards! If you are late for an appt. for a legitimate reason, you only get the remaining portion of time for the full fee even after you call the office to explain and aplogize. If you don't make it on time, you are charged for the lost appointment in lieu of trying to reschedule you. No second chances here! Ironically you will sit and wait for as long as he needs to move on to the next patient...you! Your time obviously does't count!!! A sad lack of consideration!! As a result of his noncaring policy, he dismissed me as a patient after only one visit...nice guy! Totally inflexible. He takes no insurance nor does the office file. The office staff, like him, leaves a lot to be desired. This doctor obviously cares about the dollar and not his patients! Don't waste your time or money. Find someone who shows an interest in you!!

June 21st, 2010
Near Fatal Misdiagnosis- incompetant doctor
Dr. Acquaviva consistently misdiagnosed my mental illness, over a five year period. My new doctor (along with two second opinions) said that as a result I was improperly medicated. Because I was placed on an antidepressant in Dr. Acquaviva's care instead of a mood stabilizer, I became severely manic, suicidal and was hospitalized. He failed to recognized my bipolar condition even though other doctors describe my symptoms as hallmarks of the illness. In addition, I found him to be largely unavailable when I was in acute crisis after-hours. I would recommend you turn elsewhere if you are experiencing any form of severe depression. I have never negatively reviewed a doctor before.