Dr. Joseph Shanahan Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Joseph Shanahan?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

September 7th, 2016

Not the best Practice!

Dr. Shanahan was a nice doctor, but I believe to be effective as a physician your support staff should be top notch. Sadly, they are not at Dr. Shanahan's office. No one ever answers the phone when you call. It is almost impossible to receive a return call. When you are in the office for an appointment the staff at the front desk are very rude and never helpful.He wasn't really helping my RA because I did not respond to the super drugs. He just sort of gave up on me and I felt that he did not really care anymore. These are just a few of the reasons I do not see him anymore. I never had the experience some of the reviews had with a cancelled appointments, but while waiting in the waiting room, several of his patients informed be of his "less than professional" policy about cancelled appointments.

July 30th, 2016

Go nowhere else but here!!!!

I cannot say enough amazing things about this practice. Michelle (especially Michelle who is a seriously fabulous asset to this practice) and Dr. Shanahan may be the only rheumatologists out there who care and know how to treat patients with complicated diseases. I am so forever in their debt. I was debilitated with my RA for years and now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and my grandkids are so happy to play with me again!

June 5th, 2015

HORRIBLE experience - left in tears

I had a HORRIBLE experience with Dr. Shanahan. His staff was unprofessional, rude and dismissed my suggestion to use a smaller needle while taking my blood. When they dismissed my suggestion - they ended up digging underneath my skin leaving a massive bruise and telling me it was "time to get used to a grown-up needle". I will never go back - my mom left the appointment in tears after watching the way I was treated. Not to mention they completely overlooked a GI issue that was later discovered by another doctor that did a more thorough evaluation.

August 27th, 2014

Likes his Research better than treating regular patients

He was my doctor for 4 years, however, as time went on it seemed to me that he like the research he is doing better than treating his regular patients. In addition his practice because of the clinical trials he is doing has gotten very large and it almost seems as if he is trying to slim down the number of patients he has. He does seem knowledgeable.

December 3rd, 2013

Solid Doctor with a weak Staff

Dr. Shannahan is a skilled physician and is very bright. I have received excellent care from him, but his staff is defective. On a few occasions, I have had an urgent need for care, and it was very difficult to get timely help. Overall, Dr. Shannahan is an outstanding clinician, yet the poor quality of his staff makes it difficult to get help when you need it most.

September 25th, 2013

horrible front office staff

I've been going to this dr. for over 4 years it is impossible to get a live person on the phone and when you do they disconnect you or transfer you to someone else because they don't want to be bothered. The front office workers are awful there is a huge turnaround in this office. If you miss your appointment the dr will no longer see you unless you pay 60 dollars and you must write a note explaining why you missed your appointment and its up to the dr. to decided if he will see you. What a disgrace!!!! I thought his job was to help people!!!!

September 17th, 2013

Highly recommend

Dr Shanahan is a wonderful doctor. He has helped me enormously. If you like a doctor who listens, explains, and takes his time with you, he definitely measures up. He ran many tests as a part of my initial visit and I am sure that was in order to have the info he needed to make an accurate diagnosis. I highly recommend him.

August 13th, 2013

Wasteful

Ordered $800 of labs most of which were unnecessary in one visit. I had no symptoms or signs or relapse at this visit. Ordered labs for hep b which I have been vaccinated and am immune too. Now I am struggling to pay for these unnecessary tests. Also wanted to do a chest ct scan. I have no cough of lung symptoms. Why would I want to subject my body to unnecessary radiation? Also his PA was not able to answer my questions intelligently. I am switching rheumatologists!

July 7th, 2013

Wonderful for my mother!

My Mom has been seeing Dr. Shanahan for years---when he moved to Wilmington, she drove 3 hours for her appointments because she wanted to remain under his car. She's thrilled he is back in the Triangle! He is patient with her and clearly explains medical results, changes in treatment, etc. It is refreshing to find a medical professional who still cares about the PEOPLE he treats and is not just trying to speed through appointments for the money. I highly recommend Dr. Shanahan!

March 18th, 2013

Beware of cancelling your appointment

My mom was a patient. It is very hard here in Raleigh NC to find a good doctor but we have managed to find a couple, Dr Shanahan, I thought was one of them. My mom was very happy with him and so was I, I see that he takes time and thoroughly explains the situation to his patient. However, and this is a BIG however, never cancel an appointment! My mom depends on me or my wife to take her to the doctor, when we were unable to do so on one occasion, my wife called to re-schedule and like always you have to leave a message, no one answers the phone. So when they called back they said, to my surprise, that because my mom cancelled she will no longer be treated by Doctor Shanahan. If she wants to be reinstated as a patient she will need to send in a letter of explanation and $60 fee! This is outrageous! In all the decades that I have been taking my mother and father to the doctors I have never heard of anything like this! Then I received a called that the Doctor reviewed the letter and will not continue to see her. So because she missed one appointment he cancelled her??

July 15th, 2012

Great doctor, but...

His staff, particularly the people that answer the phones and make the appointments, really suck!I called twice in once week to make an appointment. The first day(on a Tuesday) the person who answered said that now you have to go on a list and the doctor reviews and you will get a call bacvk. I guess he is THAT busy! Okay, waited 48 hours and called back Thursday. I was then told that he reviewed the list at the end of the week and I would get a call back at the beginning of the following week. They couldn't have told me that in the first place???!! No call.I called again the following Tuesday afternoon, and the woman said, sorry, I wasn't on the list, who was I again??Really I have been a patient of his for over two years and they couldn't even write my name down??Called back several times that day til I finally got the woman to speak with the doctor and I was told I could make the appointment! Really?? Thanks.I wanted the appointment on a Tuesday and was told he no longer works on Tuesdays. So busy that he only works 3.5 days a week. So frustrated. I have Scleroderma and it is hard to find good doctor that knows much about it. It is a 4.5 hour drive for me so we spend the money to stay overnight. I hope his services are not going downhill altogether...He really needs to train his office staff better.

April 23rd, 2012

Great doctor but not an organized office

I was thrilled when I found Dr. Shanahan because he really spent time with me and understood my issues. Since then, I have become less than thrilled. His one person who does infusions was unable to give me an infusion. They had a substitute nurse in one day and she got it on the first try. Nobody else has ever had a problem finding my vein, but Dr. Shanahan insisted that we needed to use a different medicine on me, since his nurse was unable to give me an infusion. They rarely return phone calls and Dr. Shanahan has never returned a call to me. Today, I called to reschedule an appointment and find out that they are no longer scheduling appointments. WHAT?? Not sure if he is closing shop or if he's just decided that he has enough appointments that he doesn't have to see his existing patients.