Overall Review

3.3

January 13th, 2016
Have been seeing this doctor for many years. Excellent diagnosis and care. Would highly recommend him.

August 15th, 2013
First and Last Visit
I chose Dr. Calkins as my insurance changed and he was an In-Network provider. As an ophthalmologist, I had high hopes that I would receive even better care than my previous optometrist. I was highly disappointed with the care and service that I received. My usual routine eye check became a four visit fiasco. On my first visit, I was told that he was unable to give me a prescription for contact lenses at that time as I was wearing my glasses during the visit and I did not have my last pair of contact lenses with me. I informed him that I was unaware that I was to bring my last pair of contact lenses with me in order to get a prescription. I returned after a few days wearing my contact lenses and was told that I he was still unable to write a contact lenses prescription for me unless I return with the box that the contact lenses in or my last prescription from my previous doctor. I told Dr. Calkins that I no longer have the box that the contact lenses came in because I was on my last pair and this is why I came in to have an exam and new prescription. Dr. Calkins informed me that I should go to my previous doctor and ask them to give me my old prescription and then he will be able to write a prescription for me. The next day I contacted my previous doctor and asked them to fax Dr. Calkins the prescription as he needed this to write me a contact lenses prescription. I was informed by the front desk that they have never heard that this is needed in order to write a new prescription but they faxed the requested information to Dr. Calkins. I contacted Dr. Calkins office to inform that this will be faxed to them and was to that I would receive a call back once received. I didn't receive a call back after a couple days so I called again to see if they received the fax and that I'm almost done with my last pair of contacts. I was informed that they didn't receive this and was asked to refax. So after they finally received the fax, I was informed that Dr. Calkins will order me the contact lenses and I can pick them up at the office. I was told to call prior to picking them up to make sure they are open after 5pm as I work during the day. I called the office today to inquire what time the office was open and was informed that they would be open until 6pm so I can come to pick up my contact lenses. I went to Dr. Calkins office and was there by 5:45 and to my disappointment, they were already closed. So unfortunately, I have to return a fourth time to pick up my contact lenses. My usual one day visit for my routine check up has turned to a few very bad experiences. I am almost afraid to wear my contact lenses in fear that I will not be accurately diagnoses as I no longer trust in him due to the service and experiences I had.

July 8th, 2010
Cataract Surgery Gone Wrong
Dr Calkins relentlessly checked the pressure of my eye for 12 days after the cataract surgery.Finally at my request he sent me to Hershey Med Ctr. Two specialists there immediately saw the problem: debris had fallen into the vitreous. Virectomy Macular Pucker was done immediately. Otherwise I would have lost my eye! Now a year later I am faced for the rest of my life using Timoptic in Ocudose and TravatanZ very expensive eye drops and still doctoring! I would not recommend Jos. Calkins to anyone and will broadcast my experience. He never bothered to see how I was doing in Hershey Med Center.

October 4th, 2009
Excellent care! Would highly recommend
The doctor did my whole exam,(not a technician, as in the previous office I went to). Dr. Calkins spent plenty of time with me and answered all my questions. I did not feel rushed at all. The office staff was also very helpful and pleasant. I got A+ care and would highly recommend Joseph L. Calkins to anyonr who needs an ophthalmologist!!