Dr. Joseph Caperna MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

4.8

August 16th, 2015
BEST Dr. I have ever been to. Seen him since 2006 and he is amazing!

February 16th, 2015
Great Primary Care Physician! Most compassionate and caring Doctor I have met and have an honour to know, and have as a doctor.

January 19th, 2015
I use t be a patient of Dr. Caperna's while he was at The Ownen clinic. I always liked him! Would like to see him again if possible? I live in Long Beach but might be relocating back to San Diego?

November 8th, 2013
joe caperna is simply the best dr. i have ever had. full stop.

January 29th, 2013
Dr. Caperna is one of the most compassionate and caring doctors that I have ever met.

March 2nd, 2012
I unconditionally recommend Dr. Caperna
I have been going to Dr. Caperna "Joe" for over 12 years now. Yes, I have waited sometimes and yes sometimes he has many patients, it's a public clinic after all! However, these issues are NOT his fault, as others here have said, UCSD is to blame here for the poor management of the Owen Clinic in which Dr. Caperna works. However, I must confess that in my opinion, even Owen Clinic is not as bad as it was a few years ago.Once, way back in 2002, I am sure that some of his other patients had to wait while Dr. Caperna saved my life, making sure I was quickly admitted to the hospital and taken care of. So now, I do not mind waiting for him at all. He has always taken whatever time I have needed from him to make sure that all of my questions are answered, my needs are met and my medications are refilled. I have referred several friends to him and they have had very good experiences as well. I've been HIV+ for over 14 years now and for me, there is NO OTHER DOCTOR I would trust with my care, no matter where I may choose to live in this world, Joe will always be my doctor. Clearly, from my interactions with him and my friends interactions with him, he cares first and foremost about his patients! Making money is not even on his radar screen. Furthermore, I greatly admire that he GIVES his time and knowledge to other doctors and patients in Africa, Mexico and elsewhere.

June 27th, 2011
Without Dr. Caperna's Help I would have died Years ago. He is not condescending when talking to you. he explains things until he knows you understand.

April 5th, 2011
Best doctor I've ever seen
Reading other comments by patients, I wonder how much responsibility they take for themselves, or realize that doctors at UCSD work in a public health setting, with huge challenges. DR. Caperna provides world class care in a setting with litle support staff. Dr. Caperna saved my life. YEs, I have waited for him. HE cares, he is very thorough and he is worth it.

February 4th, 2011
Recommended highly
Dr. Caperna is one of the best doctors I've ever seen. He diagnosed my lymphoma after several doctors missed it. UCSD HIV clinic is a public health clinic setting. The doctors are great. I recommend Dr. Caperna to any HIV patient or cancer patient, his specialties.

January 25th, 2011
Mis-Diagnosed
I was misdiagnosed by Dr. Caperna and left with permanant nuerological damage. He has a very kind bed-side manner, but given his huge case-loads, he is not thorough. He is "harried, hurried and frantic most times I see him. My last visit was conducted by an intern, in which I spent almost 15 minutes going over my "issues". Upon entering my room, Caperna apologized and said he had 3 other patients in other rooms and another waiting in the lobby. He said that the intern had communicated my current physical problems to him. Apparently not very well and much was lost in translation, as I had to reiterate everything, ultimately forgetting some problems as.... at this point I was exhausted. I always end up being horribly depressed after I leave UCSD. Unfortunatly beggers cannot be choosers. I have Medi-Medi and we are considered second class citizens. Not many HIV clinics to chooose from in San Diego.

April 15th, 2010
Outstanding Doctor
Very pleasant with all of the patients even if not under his direct care. I recommend those who need a doctor that is for you and not big business he's the guy