Anterior total hip replacement show details Anterior total hip replacement
Nov 25th, 2014

I was encouraged by the option of having an anterior hip replacement because I would not have any of the usual mobility limitations like crossing your legs or bending beyond a certain point. I'm not real active, but I do square dance and would like to ride a bike again. However, no surgery is without risks. When I woke up I was not able to move my leg. My femoral nerve was traumatized. It is 4 weeks post surgery and no one is able to predict if/when my femoral nerve will come back. This means I "have no quad muscle" which is necessary to lift my leg. I am in a brace and a walker. My recommendation is that you listen very closely to all of the surgical risks and understand what is the challenge if they happen to you. Dr. Chenger has been compassionate helping me to adjust to my current situation.

othropedics show details othropedics
by john smith on Aug 26th, 2014

I would tell a friend not to get him for their dr.

double knee replacement 6/2014 show details double knee replacement 6/2014
by Walter Campbell on Jul 25th, 2014

This is the first review I've written for anyone, so obviously I'm thrilled about my recent double knee replacement by Dr. Chenger. Everything went better than expected. In mid June I had surgery, both knees replaced at the same time. Well, first let me backup. Five weeks before surgery I made the decision to get it done, so I began the easy exercise routine provided. In fact I did double the amount of repetitions and even added weight to be ready for recovery. So, had surgery on a Wednesday, while I was in the recovery room I started doing my basic ankle pumps, actually I did 700. Sounds like a lot, but they're super easy. My recommendation is to do the PT exercises as often as possible after surgery, even during the night when the nurse wakes you for meds do some basic leg lifts or ankle pumps. Then when PT comes the next day to get you started on a twice a day minimal workout do it on your own at least a couple of times each day. Remember you're on plenty of pain meds so it's only stretching with no pain. This will keep the scar tissue from adhering and creating a difficult time later. The first few days in the hospital are not for rest and relaxing, it's time to get going so you can get out quickly. Here's the results of my pre surgery exercising and starting immediately after surgery with PT. From the hospital I went to a rehab hospital. They evaulated on monday morning, the during their rounds meeting about patients that same afternoon they decided to discharge me. So my total rehab stay was 2 days, rather than the normal 7-10 days. On day 5 I rode a stationary bike for 5 min, day 6 walked up and down a full flight of stairs using only the hand rail, day 15 began walking, never used a cane, started driving and working half days at 4 weeks, now at 5 weeks I'm 80% and doing yard work, trimming hedges, mowing grass, walking down the block and loving it. If your doctor agrees on doing both knees I would recommend that, first you get the same PT on each leg so the outcome is you should have a matching pair in flexibility, plus when you do both it's over in 6 weeks, if you do them separately you go through the same amount of surgery and PT twice taking 12 weeks to recover. It was scary to think about 'not having a good leg to stand on', as every one would joke, plus everyone would say 'you're brave', but if I had to do it again I would do both knees. Now with Dr. Chenger's minimal cutting my incision is about 4-5 inches with a slight curve to the inside of the knee missing the main quad muscle to make recovery faster. Also, he used 'closed wound suction' devices to pull the fluid from the knees during the first 48 hrs which greatly reduced any swelling and discomfort. Also, he uses blood recycle device which captures your own blood to avoid need of a transfusion. Hope this is helpful and informative as well as encouraging.

So happy now! show details So happy now!
by Patrice J. K. on Jul 18th, 2014

I was told 10 years ago that I needed a new knee but was terrified of the thought of doing it. I have seen several doctors in Knoxville and all had basically the same procedure in mind and I never felt reassured that that was where I was meant to be. On the way to Nashville to meet with Dr Chenger we prayed that we would know if this was meant for me. Both my husband and myself felt 100% sure we were with the right surgeon. He and his entire staff were over the top wonderful, knowledgeable, friendly, reassuring, etc. He did the surgery at Centennial and I am almost 2 weeks post op and all the therapists that work with me are amazed, saying I am 2 to 3 weeks ahead of most total knee replacement patients. I keep hearing the same remarks from so many people that have had their knees or hips done by Dr. Chenger. He promised to manage my pain as best as he could and I can honestly say I have never been over a 4 on the pain scale. I would absolutely recommend Dr. Chenger even if you don't live in Nashville. He and his staff and the staff at Centennial are worth the drive.

Wonderful Ortho Surgeon show details Wonderful Ortho Surgeon
Mar 9th, 2012

When my father-In-Law needed both knees replaced last year (2011), surgeons in Kingsport, TN said they would not do the surgery because he would not make it off the operating table because of his age (83), blood clots, diabetic, etc. Dr Chenger however said yes. His first knee surgery was in last Oct 2011. His 2nd knee surgey was 6 weeks later in early Dec 11. He has made a wonderful recovery and walks better than I do now.

Broken Glass show details Broken Glass
Jul 8th, 2011

What a blessing to be able to walk and stand without feeling like you have broken glass in your knees. Dr Chenger did a double knee replacement for me a little over a year ago and I was on my feet the next day! I was surprised at how fast I recovered.(well, it did take more than a day ,maybe 6 weeks to completely recover,off the cane and back to dancing.)Dr. Chenger is a great Dr. and I would recommend him to everyone. I love Centennial Hospital. If you have to be in the hospital it's a great place to be.Office staff and hospital staff are great.What else can I say. Glad I had the knee replacement done!

by Vance on Nov 2nd, 2010

Procedure used for knee replacement was significantly quicker in recovery and use of the knee post-op. HIghly recommend. Wish we had used him for the 1st knee replacement. Worth the drive from Knoxville.

Best doctor ever for knee surgery. show details Best doctor ever for knee surgery.
Aug 4th, 2010

Dr. Chenger is a great doctor. I owe my wonderful new knees and my ability to walk without pain to this man.

THE BES DOCTOR show details THE BES DOCTOR
by Martin on Apr 9th, 2009

I choose Dr Chenger because 4 friends used him for either or shoulder surgery or knee surgery. Dr Chenger is the best. I will never use anyone else. He is the Greatest.

Amazing experience show details Amazing experience
by Terry Nelms on Oct 22nd, 2008

Dr. Chenger is a very personable surgeon, you will like him. I had BOTH hips replaced and encountered NO PROBLEMS. This is an amazing proceedure and I have returned to virtually full level of activity, the only things I can't do are those that are restricted by the proceedure itself. I encourage those with Osteoarthritis pain to get this done, get your life back!