Dr. Joseph Disa Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Joseph Disa?

Acne

Acne

Have you seen Dr. Joseph Disa?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

April 5th, 2017

Incredible physician and human being!

Dr. Disa is truly a wonderful doctor, as well as, an honest and forthright human being. When I was informed that I needed to make a life altering decision, he presented my options, in a clear and empathetic manner. He made sure that I understood the risks involved and that I was as sure about my decision, as one could possibly be. In my opinion, he is the best there is. I highly recommend Dr. Joseph Disa, for anyone requiring a mastectomy and any form of reconstruction.

December 28th, 2016

Outstanding!

December 24th, 2016

Caring, smart and patient

I first met Dr. Disa in 2010 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My breast surgeon connected me with Dr. Disa to handle my reconstruction. From day one I felt very lucky to be in his care. I never felt rushed or like my questions were silly or unimportant. He answered every question thoroughly and in a way that made sense. He spoke in layman's terms, but I never felt talked down to. His office was always responsive to my calls and he seemed very invested in my health and the outcome of the reconstruction. I will admit that the extensive waits at appointments is painful and frustrating, but once you know what to expect you can plan accordingly. Once in you will not be rushed out of his office. I read some not so favorable reviews and I could not relate to any of them. I would highly recommend any women considering breast reconstruction following a mastectomy to see Dr. Disa.

May 9th, 2016

Dr. Disa did an amazing job! You can hardly see the scar.

March 5th, 2016

excellent surgeon, easy to talk to, very compassionate ,& caring & easy on the EYES TOO !!!

January 29th, 2016

I have had only very great compliments regarding my mastectomy with reconstruction.

August 25th, 2015

the best & most caring doctor

Dr. Disa is the most caring and professional individual a patient who is going through cancer could possibly have. After being diagnosed with breast cancer and having a mastectomy I was introduced to Dr. Disa for my reconstruction. From the moment my husband and I met him we knew Dr.Disa was not only an excellent doctor but a caring and compassionate individual. He never rushed my appts. and the wait time was less than 15 minutes. His staff was exceptional and also very caring. It has been 16 years since my surgery and whenever I have yearly checkups I am greeted with concern and the same interest that was generated when I first saw Dr. Disa. He is a true professional and the nicest person anyone could hope to have as their doctor.

June 24th, 2015

Maimed

First of all, I know I am lucky to still be here - I had Stage 4 breast cancer. 15 years later, I'm still alive. I went to Dr. Disa because I wanted immediate reconstruction following a mastectomy. Because I am thin and had naturally large breasts I could only do an implant. Well, I got multiple staph infections and had to lose the implant. When he removed the implant, my newly radiated skin essentially gave chest the look of a very wrinkled knee - I screamed when I first saw myself! I had to allow my body to recover 6 months before I could have another surgery, this time a tram flap. I had to gain weight which was easy to do because I was now depressed. He cut my previously thin abdomen from side to side and created the look of "ears" on each of my sides presumably to have tissue for a nipple. (I never got the nipple because by this time I was over having surgery.) So here I am, a beautiful woman who got the chance to live but now I'm maimed. No nipple, excess skin on each side of my now thin-again waist. I don't want my husband to see me naked anymore and I refuse to look at myself. I just don't want to scream again. This was all because of Dr. Disa. I think that he isn't concerned with esthetics at all and so I would never recommend him for a reconstruction of the breast. He's a nice enough guy and I'm sure a decent surgeon but plastics is not where his talents lie.

April 6th, 2015

Fits the image - more science, less fear

I consulted with Dr. Disa on a controversial procedure and found him to be a perfect fit with MSKCC’s Madison-Avenue image of “more science, less fear.” He is knowledgeable and professional, and I like his “think-straight, talk-straight” mindset. Other than the stress that goes with a cancer diagnosis, the thing I hated most about my treatment was being patronized by specialists who think that anything in their field is much too complicated to explain to mere mortals like me. . . If you feel that way too, you will like Dr. Disa. He is a well-respected surgeon. And he responds to questions candidly and respectfully, even if you feel a little timid about asking them and even if you don’t speak fluent Medical-eze. To me, these are the traits that matter most when the issues concern cancer and the risk of recurrence. . . Regarding the scheduling delays, we need to consider why he is running late. Is it because he was scheduled too tightly and he took longer than the allotted time to respond to another patient’s questions and concerns? If so, then his rating should not necessarily be downgraded for that. On the contrary, that is to his credit. It shows he cares and is willing to go the extra mile to help his patients. I agree it is frustrating sometimes that our healthcare delivery systems seem so unduly compartmentalized, rigid, and bureaucratic. But that is a separate matter and one that may require an Act of Congress, plus the cooperation of a consortium of insurance companies, to remedy. In the areas for which he is personally accountable, I give Dr. Disa a solid 5-star rating.

February 19th, 2014

eh...

Very quick with me...reconstruction was okay. Almost a dismissive attitude...seems offended when you ask a couple of questions

November 27th, 2013

Disa

I had a double masechtomy with reconstruction immediately there after performed by dr. disa. Four days after the surgery I was in an excruciating amount of pain- pain more severe than what would normally be expected after a double masechtomy surgery. The diagnosis from disa's staff?? i should not be so dependent on vicadin four days after surgery and that i should resort to taking anti-anxiety medication. well not two days after this stellar recommendation, i found myself with a 102 temperature and back in the hospital with an infection. i waited two more days in the hospital (still in the same amount of pain i was feeling days before) until they made the call to bring me back in the operating room and remove my right separator. the separator was removed and i was directed to have a follow up meeting with dr. disa two weeks later. the appointment was for 12:30 and we ended up meeting with him at 3pm. wonderful. after meeting with dr. disa for 15minutes he scheduled us for a second follow up appointment two weeks later. this time we made it for 4pm because his staff said it was better to make it for a later time. when we returned for a second visit we ended up waiting till 5:30pm then decided to leave because we have a 4 month baby at home and needed to get back to him. fast forward one month later and i find myself in severe pain once again. i feel an infection is coming on again and have now decided to write this review because i am so incredibly angry at the way i have been treated by dr. disa and his staff. i cant hold my 4month old son and take care of him without wincing in pain. it is sickening to know how healthy i was not too long ago- cancer aside. now i find myself slouching and short of breath because of the carelessness and total disregard of a patient by dr disa. i don't know how else to express the shear anger i have towards him and his amateur staff so i decided to write this blog. now don't get me wrong, im sure many patients have had incredible experiences with dr. disa, but take it from a patient who experienced a terrible infection post surgery- thats the true test of a good doctor. how do they respond when a patient has an infection from surgery? well, dr. disa faced that situation with me and failed miserably when it came to truly caring for a patient's feelings, condition and needs.

August 14th, 2013

So glad to help

I am glad my 5/1/13 review was helpful to Disappointed and Determined. I wish her the best. I can follow-up by sharing that my "unfortunate" reconstruction has been revised by a cosmetic surgeon and is so much better. Dr. Disa was perfectly happy with the reconstruction he (or the fellow) performed and was ready to proceed with nipples. I was disappointed; I just couldn't move forward right away. I am so glad I took the time to seek the cosmetic surgeons' opinions. I was reluctant to go through another surgery and was scared to experience the same disappointment, but now that it is over I am so glad that I did. I hope other women will advocate for themselves and pursue more than one opinion -- seek the specific expertise of cosmetic surgeons. Dr. Disa is a good guy and talented - I like him -- if you have a medically complicated reconstruction - Dr. Disa is your man. If you don't have a medically complicated situation, I hope my experience helps you in your path to reconstruction.