Overall Review

3.6

May 9th, 2016
Dr. Disa did an amazing job! You can hardly see the scar.

March 5th, 2016
excellent surgeon, easy to talk to, very compassionate ,& caring & easy on the EYES TOO !!!

January 29th, 2016
I have had only very great compliments regarding my mastectomy with reconstruction.

August 25th, 2015
the best & most caring doctor
Dr. Disa is the most caring and professional individual a patient who is going through cancer could possibly have. After being diagnosed with breast cancer and having a mastectomy I was introduced to Dr. Disa for my reconstruction. From the moment my husband and I met him we knew Dr.Disa was not only an excellent doctor but a caring and compassionate individual. He never rushed my appts. and the wait time was less than 15 minutes. His staff was exceptional and also very caring. It has been 16 years since my surgery and whenever I have yearly checkups I am greeted with concern and the same interest that was generated when I first saw Dr. Disa. He is a true professional and the nicest person anyone could hope to have as their doctor.

June 24th, 2015
Maimed
First of all, I know I am lucky to still be here - I had Stage 4 breast cancer. 15 years later, I'm still alive. I went to Dr. Disa because I wanted immediate reconstruction following a mastectomy. Because I am thin and had naturally large breasts I could only do an implant. Well, I got multiple staph infections and had to lose the implant. When he removed the implant, my newly radiated skin essentially gave chest the look of a very wrinkled knee - I screamed when I first saw myself! I had to allow my body to recover 6 months before I could have another surgery, this time a tram flap. I had to gain weight which was easy to do because I was now depressed. He cut my previously thin abdomen from side to side and created the look of "ears" on each of my sides presumably to have tissue for a nipple. (I never got the nipple because by this time I was over having surgery.) So here I am, a beautiful woman who got the chance to live but now I'm maimed. No nipple, excess skin on each side of my now thin-again waist. I don't want my husband to see me naked anymore and I refuse to look at myself. I just don't want to scream again. This was all because of Dr. Disa. I think that he isn't concerned with esthetics at all and so I would never recommend him for a reconstruction of the breast. He's a nice enough guy and I'm sure a decent surgeon but plastics is not where his talents lie.

April 6th, 2015
Fits the image - more science, less fear
I consulted with Dr. Disa on a controversial procedure and found him to be a perfect fit with MSKCC’s Madison-Avenue image of “more science, less fear.” He is knowledgeable and professional, and I like his “think-straight, talk-straight” mindset. Other than the stress that goes with a cancer diagnosis, the thing I hated most about my treatment was being patronized by specialists who think that anything in their field is much too complicated to explain to mere mortals like me. . . If you feel that way too, you will like Dr. Disa. He is a well-respected surgeon. And he responds to questions candidly and respectfully, even if you feel a little timid about asking them and even if you don’t speak fluent Medical-eze. To me, these are the traits that matter most when the issues concern cancer and the risk of recurrence. . . Regarding the scheduling delays, we need to consider why he is running late. Is it because he was scheduled too tightly and he took longer than the allotted time to respond to another patient’s questions and concerns? If so, then his rating should not necessarily be downgraded for that. On the contrary, that is to his credit. It shows he cares and is willing to go the extra mile to help his patients. I agree it is frustrating sometimes that our healthcare delivery systems seem so unduly compartmentalized, rigid, and bureaucratic. But that is a separate matter and one that may require an Act of Congress, plus the cooperation of a consortium of insurance companies, to remedy. In the areas for which he is personally accountable, I give Dr. Disa a solid 5-star rating.

February 19th, 2014
eh...
Very quick with me...reconstruction was okay. Almost a dismissive attitude...seems offended when you ask a couple of questions

November 26th, 2013
Disa
I had a double masechtomy with reconstruction immediately there after performed by dr. disa. Four days after the surgery I was in an excruciating amount of pain- pain more severe than what would normally be expected after a double masechtomy surgery. The diagnosis from disa's staff?? i should not be so dependent on vicadin four days after surgery and that i should resort to taking anti-anxiety medication. well not two days after this stellar recommendation, i found myself with a 102 temperature and back in the hospital with an infection. i waited two more days in the hospital (still in the same amount of pain i was feeling days before) until they made the call to bring me back in the operating room and remove my right separator. the separator was removed and i was directed to have a follow up meeting with dr. disa two weeks later. the appointment was for 12:30 and we ended up meeting with him at 3pm. wonderful. after meeting with dr. disa for 15minutes he scheduled us for a second follow up appointment two weeks later. this time we made it for 4pm because his staff said it was better to make it for a later time. when we returned for a second visit we ended up waiting till 5:30pm then decided to leave because we have a 4 month baby at home and needed to get back to him. fast forward one month later and i find myself in severe pain once again. i feel an infection is coming on again and have now decided to write this review because i am so incredibly angry at the way i have been treated by dr. disa and his staff. i cant hold my 4month old son and take care of him without wincing in pain. it is sickening to know how healthy i was not too long ago- cancer aside. now i find myself slouching and short of breath because of the carelessness and total disregard of a patient by dr disa. i don't know how else to express the shear anger i have towards him and his amateur staff so i decided to write this blog. now don't get me wrong, im sure many patients have had incredible experiences with dr. disa, but take it from a patient who experienced a terrible infection post surgery- thats the true test of a good doctor. how do they respond when a patient has an infection from surgery? well, dr. disa faced that situation with me and failed miserably when it came to truly caring for a patient's feelings, condition and needs.

August 14th, 2013
So glad to help
I am glad my 5/1/13 review was helpful to Disappointed and Determined. I wish her the best. I can follow-up by sharing that my "unfortunate" reconstruction has been revised by a cosmetic surgeon and is so much better. Dr. Disa was perfectly happy with the reconstruction he (or the fellow) performed and was ready to proceed with nipples. I was disappointed; I just couldn't move forward right away. I am so glad I took the time to seek the cosmetic surgeons' opinions. I was reluctant to go through another surgery and was scared to experience the same disappointment, but now that it is over I am so glad that I did. I hope other women will advocate for themselves and pursue more than one opinion -- seek the specific expertise of cosmetic surgeons. Dr. Disa is a good guy and talented - I like him -- if you have a medically complicated reconstruction - Dr. Disa is your man. If you don't have a medically complicated situation, I hope my experience helps you in your path to reconstruction.

July 20th, 2013
Thank You for May 1 Review.....
The review written 5/1/13 articulated exactly what I have been feeling. I had a unilateral mastectomy almost 1 month ago with immediate reconstruction started by Dr. Disa with Expander placement and nipple sparing. The 2 appointments I have had with Disa since have been disheartening and disappointing. The Wait-time is annoying, but once you know you just plan around it. But it has become obvious to me that he could care less about spending any time discussing aesthetics. I need to make decisions about size/fills on Mastectomy side, which are related to what to do on the other non-mastectomy breast. Unless I want to look like a Cubist painting I will have to surgically alter that one as well. Breast reconstruction is not like other surgeries in that there are choices, nuance relating to size, shape, position. I KNOW these are unimportant in comparison to CANCER decisions. But, they are VERY important to me as a woman; my self-esteem, my sexuality, my body-image, etc. I am sure Dr. Disa is a VERY skilled surgeon but, of the 47 patients he saw on the day he saw me, I felt like "Number 27" and that I was inconveniencing him and annoying him by trying to get him to explain the choices and how to best make these decisions based on what I want. I left in tears and decided to seek at least another consult elsewhere. Maybe it is the MSKCC Patient Care Model, but I also think Dr. Disa feels it is somehow "beneath him" to put effort into the cosmetic side of breast reconstruction. And I think it is a shame, because I am certain he is very skilled when he cares. And, I now have something else on my plate during this very stressful time, trying to figure out insurance, etc. for changing surgeons mid-stream. Reading these reviews helped me to see that is not just me being overly sensitive .

May 1st, 2013
Dr. Disa is great but....
Dr. Disa is pleasant and well skilled. I've had 2 surgeries (breast) with him and have been a patient at MSCKK for many years. I have read the comments on this site and find some of them fair and others ridiculous. Here's my take, the patient care model in the plastic surgery department doesn't allow the doctors or really even the nurses to spend enough time with the patients. While everyone in Dr. Disa's office is caring, they don't really connect with the patients - I believe this purely to be due the time restrictions. Additionally, there is an issue of philosophy/approach. If you have a medically complicated reconstruction -- Dr. Disa is your man. If you don't have a medically complicated reconstruction and hope to optimize your asthetic result or have a complicated reconstruction from an asthetic standpoint, I hope you will at least consult with one or two (or more) cosmetic plastic surgeons. It has been my experience having consulted with Dr. Disa and cosmetic plastic surgeons that the cosmetic surgeons have an understanding and approach that is materially different from Dr. Disa's. The difference appears to me to be more focused on the patient's desired outcome and seems to set the bar higher for an asthetic outcome. To his credit, Dr. Disa has dedicated his medical career to fighting cancer and he deserves kudos for that effort.

July 17th, 2012
Wonderful doctor
After my melanoma surgery my donor site would not heal. This went on for a few months and was then told to go to a wound center. When that failed I was referred to Dr.Disa and came back to Sloan He diagnosed the problem and I was on my way to healing. He was very caring and concerned about my pain. Reconstructive surgery was avoided due to his care! He is great!