Dr. Joseph Godfrey MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Thomasville, NC

3.3

February 21st, 2016
misdiagnosed my wife. uses bipolar and lithium as a blanket treatment. run away screaming if anyone even suggests this quack

December 15th, 2014
Wonderful doctor
One of the kindest doctors I ever had, very sharp and able to discern what you need based on your symptoms. Appointments are short but he does all that is needed. He is truly an excellent physician.

July 7th, 2013
Avoid Dr. Joseph L. Godfrey if you need a good Dr.
I recently went to Dr. Joseph L. Godfrey for the first time due to experiencing some depression. The reason I chose a Psychiatrist rather than my trusted family Dr. was to get the expertise on my problem. Due to currently not having medical insurance I paid out of pocket. After arriving to Dr. Godfrey's office I paid $341.00 up front for my initial evaluation. Once I was brought in Dr. Godfrey's office I was asked about 15 to 20 routine questions. Dr. Godfrey mumbled something about being on a new computer program. I didn't think too much of it at the time. In response to one of his questions I told him I had taken Lexapro 10 to 12 yrs ago w/ positive results. As Dr. Godfrey struggled to put my info in he asked what pharmacy I used. I told him the pharmacy and address I've used in the past. After 5 minutes of Dr. Godfrey trying to find my pharmacy I hear him say "it is sent". I'm thinking what did he send, as we haven't even starting talking. At this point he is just entering my medical history. Once Dr. Godfrey finished my history I am expecting to be evaluated and talk for a few minutes about my question and any concerns. Instead to my shock, Dr. Godfrey got up and starts to walk me out. I then ask what he sent. He states Lexapro. At this point I walk out dumbfounded at my experience. Walk to the front desk where they make me another apt. Also, look down at my phone and realize I had only been in there 27 min. for my initial evaluation. Thirty minutes after leaving I call the office staff and speak to Michelle. I go over what happened and she confirms they are on a new program and it has been more difficult than they initially expected. She also states that an initial is always 30 minutes, which in my opinion speaks volumes of Dr. Godfrey. I explain that my complaint is not the new program. It is the entire appointment that in my opinion Dr. Godfrey being negligent. I asked that she speak to Dr. Godfrey and tell him I was asking for my $341.00 back. A couple hours later Dr. Godfrey calls to say that I would not get my money back. Saying I had "used the time". I left Dr. Godfrey's office with $341.00 less in my pocket and still having to go to the Dr. I found Dr. Godfrey a poor communicator, cold and not the LEAST BIT CONCERNED ABOUT HIS PATIENT.

June 21st, 2013
For the people complaining about about Dr. Godfrey only interested in prescribing medications: HE IS A PSYCHIATRIST, NOT A THERAPIST!!! A psychiatrist is responsible for MEDICATION MANAGEMENT. Also, it is true he is not affiliated with any hospitals, if there is an EMERGENCY, such as an OD or something else, YOU SHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL. Dr. Godfrey or his staff cannot do anything in such situations OVER THE PHONE, etc. USE COMMON SENSE PEOPLE! He is a great Dr! Having so many patients, everyone is not going to be pleased!

March 18th, 2013
Excellent/Caring Doctor and Staff
I've been going to this doctor for a few years. He is caring, attentive and listens/asks questions. He explains the reasons for the medication carefully. He only adjusts my medication as needed and listens to any and all concerns I may have. His staff has always been kind, and schedules all appointments at a time that is convenient for my work schedule. I highly recommend.

May 23rd, 2011
very poor communicator; big into multi drug treatments; did not seem to care about me as an individual-asked the same rote questions at each visit-which last about 5 minutes.

September 26th, 2010
Caring and Competent
This is the third psychiatrist I have seen for a difficult to treat depression and he was by far the most concerned. He took the time to explain both my condition and the medication he was prescribing. I felt like he was really listening to me. I left feeling more positive than I have in a long time.

September 17th, 2010
Misdiagnosed, uncaring, unprofessional, a quack!
DO NOT LET THIS "DR" CARE FOR ANYONE YOU CARE ABOUT!!His answer to everythign is a high dose of Lithium, not knowing or caring about the patients physical response to the litany of prescribed medications, this "DR" uses pharmacology as an answer to EVERYTHING.No time with patients or family is spent, he is inaccessable, rude and does not care, he's only in it for the money.