Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist, Sports Medicine Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Jill Paris on Jun 23rd, 2016

Everything was excellent!!!!

by edwin stawicki on May 18th, 2016

I was seen by Dr. Guettler for a torn bicept. He knew the pain I was experiencing was not the tear. Following MRI he determined other issues in the shoulder were the cause. This was not my first shoulder problem having been operated on by Dr. Joe 3 years earlier. No operation is fun. But having confidence in your surgeon is paramount.

Knee surgery - ACL and cartilage repair show details Knee surgery - ACL and cartilage repair
Apr 24th, 2016

Dr. Guettler performed two procedures on my knee, an ACL repair and cartilage reconstruction. I consulted with a number of doctors but Dr. Guettler made me feel the most comfortable. He was very confident and was able to recommend the appropriate type of surgery for me. I am now a year out of surgery and my knee feels great. I am slowly starting to get into the activities I was doing before the surgery, such as running, hiking, and bicycling.

Skilled Surgeon show details Skilled Surgeon
by Val C. on Mar 2nd, 2016

I have been a pt of Dr. Guettler's for about 5 years, and I have always received great care and advice. Dr. Guettler has good judgement and skill, listens to concerns, and most importantly; he really cares about his patients! I recommend him to my family and friends all the time! I work in the operating room and I work with many different surgeons in many different specialties, and in my opinion, Dr. Guettler is one of the best!

Feb 8th, 2016

I had a shoulder injury that plagued me for almost a year before I went in. I went to see Dr. Guettler. In short order I was diagnosed(labral tear), had surgery, and was almost totally recovered in about 8 months. Dr. Guettler and his team does good work! It's been almost 3 years since my surgery and still going strong!

by Mary Humbyrd on Feb 8th, 2016

My experience was amazing with Dr. Guettler! I am very active in my career and wasn't about to be slowed down by a split ACL. I was diagnosed and in surgery in less than three weeks. My physical therapy was also wonderful. I was back to work in less than three months and you would never know I had surgery if you see me now. I recommend Dr. Guettler to all my friends! What a blessing!

Confidence, Not Ego show details Confidence, Not Ego
Feb 6th, 2016

Is Dr. Joe confident? Absolutely. He is one of the best orthopedic surgeons around. Is this possibly mistaken for ego as noted in various negative reviews? Likely. Personally, I'd rather have an honest, no nonsense doctor who knows what he is doing. Had nothing but exceptional treatment from everyone in his office. Staff goes the extra mile. When I was a bit unsure of the MRI process, his staff volunteered to call the MRI facility for me and got set everything up. Needed to change several appointments, but I was never made to feel put down or that I had inconvenienced anyone; they were very understanding and helped me reschedule things. The associated physical therapy office down the hall is convenient and experienced with an emphasis on teaching and explaining. When I was in physical therapy I consistently heard not only patients but also the staff talking among themselves saying what a good person and great medical pro Dr. Joe is. I would not hesitate to recommend this practice to others.

by Greg Moore on Feb 3rd, 2016

The office staff takes care of everything and does it right the first time. Dr. Guettler is a highly knowledgable surgeon who tells you exactly what's what, how he'll treat it, and what he expects from you to aid in your own recovery. I highly recommend him based on my own treatment for a blown out shoulder and a torn ACL. He may not "coddle" you, but he WILL treat you correctly and get you back on your game in short order. (This from a SWAT cop who went back to full duty.)

Professional caring practice show details Professional caring practice
by Lisa I. on Feb 3rd, 2016

My children and I all have seen Dr. Guettler (and Dr. Biglin) for a variety of injuries and conditions over the past six years. I trust he and his staff completely. They are professional and courteous and the medical assistants/nursing staff always recognizes us with a warm greeting. This is the orthopaedic practice I refer all my family and friends to.

Student athlete show details Student athlete
by Dan on Feb 3rd, 2016

Dr. Joe is great. He is a good combination of Dr and coach. He has fixed both my knee and shoulder. I am back to playing. The Seaholm Football team really appreciates him being at our home games. We know if we get hurt during the game he is there to help us. Go Maples!

Great surgeon! show details Great surgeon!
by Robert Flannery on Feb 2nd, 2016

Dr Guettler is terrific. He's an excellent surgeon and his staff is great too. It's always distressing to suffer any injury but Dr Guettler is a positive person who helps the patient (and parents!) get through a difficult time.

Feb 1st, 2016

Wonderful! Saw me through my injury and got me running again. Knowledgeable, great guy!

Feb 1st, 2016

Excellent visit with Dr. Joe! Great guy! Got me through track season!

Excellent! show details Excellent!
Feb 1st, 2016

Great Doctor. Very professional, and thorough. Excellent experience with him and his staff.

Meniscus tear show details Meniscus tear
Feb 1st, 2016

Dr. Guettler is a great surgeon who accurately and quickly diagnosed and solved my knee pain.

Highly recommend (and often do) show details Highly recommend (and often do)
Jan 31st, 2016

I saw him when I was in 2nd grade. I had a broken wrist, but it wasn't very swollen or bruised looking. No one believed me that it was broken, they just thought I was exaggerating. I went to see Dr. Guettler, he was very nice about everything, and found a greenstick fracture. If I'm ever injured again (although I hope I'm not), I will definitely see Dr. Guettler again.

Jan 31st, 2016

had my knee scoped after iniatially trying therapy. MRI showed a tear in the miniscus which dr. Guettler cleaned up and got me back running again in about a month. I was 55 yrs old so much wear and tear was there.

Jan 31st, 2016

A great Christian guy and an amazing surgeon. He has operated on both a knee and a shoulder for me. I have sent numerous family and friends for me. Joe is my go to ortho guy

Dec 28th, 2015

I got an appointment right away. Dr. Guettler explained my condition and I received treatment. The outcome was very positive.

Thank you, Dr. Guettler! show details Thank you, Dr. Guettler!
by Amy S. on May 3rd, 2015

Incredibly friendly and thorough. Excellent surgeon. Answers all my questions. VERY GRATEFUL! Exceptional office staff.

Apr 2nd, 2015

Like everyone else has said, Dr. Guettler's bedside manner is horrible. He couldn't even bother to introduce himself when he walked in the room. He may be a great surgeon, but I wouldn't give him that opportunity. The office staff was great, very friendly, but I would see a different doctor at that practice

Jan 27th, 2015

bed side manner is not the best. Didn't care about your pain.

FULL OF HIMSELF show details FULL OF HIMSELF
by Jean on Dec 29th, 2014

Just like many have said, this guy just did not see me or even wanted me to tell him what is wrong. Worst experience ever.

I cannot recommend him! show details I cannot recommend him!
Apr 29th, 2014

They will not allow you to be honest in these reviews, so let me just say I cannot recommend him; he has no compassion for his patients! I would give negative stars if it were possible.

Barkley Surgeries show details Barkley Surgeries
by Barkley on Sep 2nd, 2013

I am very satisfied with Dr.G after my son at 16 ruptured his Patella Tendon Dr. G was positive and supportive of my son. My son is now in his junior year in college AND is a student athlete at Grand Valley State University. I've also had two surgeries as well and he's been wonderful !

patients show details patients
Jun 26th, 2013

I agree with everyone else Dr is full of himself and does not listen to the patients. He is more concerned in doing his radio/internet gigs then care about his patients. I dont doubt he knows his stuff but would not want him dealing with me ever again... found another dr that cares and is just as good if not better than dr guettler and he cares about his patients way more!!!!!!

by Frank on Feb 14th, 2013

big ego. Not very friendly. Would not recommend

Nov 3rd, 2012

Dr. Guettler is a great surgeon he came highly recommended from a friend of mine. I was having a lot of pain in my knee and he said it was from over use and to take it easy for a while. He gave me a few samples of Voltaren Gel to help with the inflammation. It worked, if I have pain again or ever require surgery I will without a doubt be going back to see him. His staff is wonderful from the front office to the girls in the back.

Doesn't seem to care about his patients! show details Doesn't seem to care about his patients!
Jul 18th, 2012

As many patients have already remarked, this guy has a big ego, and he does not listen to his patients. He'd rather tell you how good everything is than than to listen to you explain what's ailing you, because hearing that you still have problems after surgery does nothing for his enormous ego. I wouldn't recommend him at all.

Jul 18th, 2012

As many patients have already remarked, this guy has a big ego, and he does not listen to his patients. He'd rather tell you how good everything is than than to listen to you explain what's ailing you, because heating that you still have problems after surgery does nothing for his enormous ego. I wouldn't recommend him at all.

Latest Use of Technology show details Latest Use of Technology
Feb 3rd, 2012

Dr. Guettler order appropiate MRI and quickly diagnosed my rotator cuff tear. I will require surgery. He talked about injecting a blood plasma (my own blood) into the wound after the surgery to help speed recovery. This technique is still a bit experimental but has no neg. effects. I like the fact Dr. Guettler stays up to date with latest medical advances and he has great experience with local university sports teams.

No bedside manner and very egotistical show details No bedside manner and very egotistical
Aug 16th, 2011

This DR was absolutely mean when we visited. He did not want to be bothered with draining a knee as he was a "orthopedic surgeon" and "draining a knee is nurses work". When draining the knee he was not caring at all...he hurt me very badly where other orthopedic surgeons did not when I have had my knee drained. SO, to all that may read this ...don't expect any compassion, caring, or bedside manners. Expect pain, and a very condescending attitude.

Arthritis show details Arthritis
Jun 7th, 2011

Dr. Guettler has helped me out with my arthritic knee pain. Quick and to the point - he knows what he is talking about. He is now helping me out with an arthritic rotator cuff. I will probably have surgery and would not go to anyone else.

disappointed show details disappointed
May 17th, 2011

I am very disappointed in this surgeon. I had ACL reconstruction 2 years ago and I have been having problems with my knee recently. I went to see him and he told me that I just needed to go to therapy and he ordered an MRI. He called me back with the results telling me everything looked great. I was not content with this diagnosis with as much pain as I was in. I went to another highly recommended surgeon and he told me that my ACL was indeed loose and that it looks as if I have a tear in my medial meniscus. He also recommeneded surgery. How do you go to two highly ranked doctors, with the same MRI, and get two different outcomes? I went to both of these doctors before I had my first surgery and they both had the same diagnosis then. I am shocked.

Great Surgeon/Dr show details Great Surgeon/Dr
by H Kornblum on Nov 4th, 2010

This guy was unbelievable. Fast, accurate, fun. my surgery was a huge success. I only use Drs that do professional athletes and this guy is great

Mar 9th, 2010

Very easy to get in, not a long wait time. I want a doctor that is sure of himself and good at his job, but I have a hard time with his arrogance. That's just me personally. Otherwise everything else is great.