Dr. Joseph Lamelas MD Patient Reviews

• Vascular Surgery Houston, TX

November 3rd, 2016
What a disappointment!
The say he is one of the best surgeons in Miami. Perhaps that is why, after two (2) cancellations for two consecutive weeks, the day of the appointment we had to wait three hours for him. And after 2 weeks and 3 hours waiting for him, we only had the chance to talk with him for 3 minutes (his assistant was with us 10 minutes). I got the impression he was exhausted and he just did not want to deal with us anymore. For me it was important to feel he was not just knowledgeable, but also that he would be able to listen to my concerns... That I was important as a human being too. :(

July 3rd, 2016
Dr. Lamelas repair my mitral valve three weeks ago. My surgery was successful and also my recovery. Very grateful!

April 25th, 2016
The Best
Changed my aortic valve and has given me 15-20 more years. People from all over the world scramble to get this talented surgeon to save them.

March 14th, 2016
One of the best Drs. I've found in S Florida
He saved my life, He was recommended by top Beverly Hills Cardioligist. I met his associates, all caring and great.

October 14th, 2015
I am 43 years old and had a mitral valve repaired by Dr. Lamelas. He repaired it correctly, however in the process or shortly after I suffered heart damage. This heart damage is irreversible. I am not sure how or why this happen but Dr. Lamelas was not interested, nor was his team in even doing a follow up. I was told my repair was fixed and basically they did not care how the heart was functioning after that. The entire time I was in the hospital his staff did not once come to my bedside and speak to me , they stood at the door way with coffee in hand and got the reports from my nurses. No one even discussed what happened during surgery with me. I only found out at my appointment 3 weeks later by the PA. I drove over 6 hours to not even have a doctor show me the courtesy of speaking with me. My heart function is worse than before surgery and I am told it will not get better. I regret my decision to have Dr. Lamelas do my repair.

February 11th, 2015
I do NOT recommend this surgeon. Please read this review.
My cardiologist referred me to Dr Lamelas for minimally invasive Valve Replacement Surgery. The experience was definitely a negative one. 1) The first problem occurred when Dr Lamelas ordered a very invasive pre-op test that I did not need. I questioned the need for this test and called my cardiologist, the cardiologist agreed with me that I didn't need it. Dr Lamelas retracted the order and said he had another patient with the same name and had confused the files. This is frightening!! 2) After I had been taken to the OR, the OR nurse called my family to the waiting room phone to ask if any of them had copies of the tests that had been performed prior to the surgery. Don't they have that before I am taken to the OR? 3) About 8 weeks after surgery my cardiologist ordered an echocardiogram to check on my valve. The Echo shows that the valve is a "mismatch." (That is the terminology on the Echo report.) The valve is not the right size. There are regurgitation consequences to this mismatch. 4) I was never told that I cannot ever have an MRI. Even though I have a biologic valve, there is a small stent in it, which has metal. I should have been told this crucial information during the follow up visit to the surgeon's office. I have to say that Dr LaPietri, who is one of Dr Lamelas' partners, was very good during the daily visits while I was in the hospital. The office staff is hit and miss. Most of them are courteous and professional some are not.

October 12th, 2013
Mitral Valve Repair
Very competent, able to do procedures that other drs wouldn't attempt. Highly recommend dr Lamelas for mitral valve repairs.