inactive

Joseph Marzluff MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

June 19th, 2013
Quality of life
I first met Dr. Marzluff in early 2002. Just two years earlier I was an Active Duty G.I. who had been medically discharged due to a "Butchered" lumbar surgery done by a practicing MUSC resident Dr. at the VA hospital. So when my condition worsened to a debilitating state where my fiance had to dress me and put my shoes on every morning, I heard about Dr. Marzluff and went to see him. I was barely 30yrs old and getting ready to go under the knife again in a region of my spine that was butchered by a practicing surgeon. After needing to sleep in a hospital bed for months in the upright position, dozens of injections and having to live on pain meds, I was terrified to say the least when I met Dr. Marzluff. He was firm; a straight shooter, not a sugar coater either but you could still tell he cared about what I was going through. He performed my second surgery with great success. I was able to stand upright, dress myself and even tie my own shoes. That doesn't sound like much to be grateful for until you cannot do those simple tasks yourself. Six years later in 2008 I was faced with another debilitating issue with the region that was destroyed by my first surgeon. Dr. Marzluff told me even though I was only 37, it was time to fuse my lumbar region to try and head some future surgeries off at the pass. I was reluctant for a fusion but I trusted that man with my life and his decision was good by me. I had the fusion that summer of 2008 and knock on wood very limited hospitalizations since then. Fast forward 5 years later; I still have extensive nerve damage caused by my first surgeon and the intrusion from the 2nd and 3rd surgery were still traumatic causing some further neurological "ghost pains". So, now I am 42yrs old and facing a potential implant of a dorsal column stimulator. I remain optimistic and pray for the same kind of results as my second and third surgeries.

January 25th, 2013
!Totally missed it
I recently had a major spinal fusion across seven levels in my thoracic spine. Not by Dr. Marzluff. Because he totally missed the boat back in 2003. My surgeon said I was almost a paraplegic and yet Dr. Marzluff said "lack of loss of perianal sensation mitigates the spine as a primary cause of her bowel and bladder problems." Wrong!!! He missed a compression fracture of T-7, herniated discs between T6-T9, and two torn ligaments. He never ran any tests! And yet he came to this conclusion. After seeing him I vowed never to go to any more doctors and I didn't for many years. Not until I started to go numb below the waist and developed severe tension headaches from trying to ignore it and a very caring neurologist upon seeing my symptoms said, "sometimes you just have to see the entire spine". And she had less information than he had.

April 19th, 2012
I have no complaints
Doctor is a little rough around the edges but he knows what he is doing, I had a disc replacement and 2 carpal tunnel operations and each time I was treated very well and came out better then ever. He is there to take care of your health issue, not be your best friend. I would recommend him to everyone who needs surgery of this type.

November 12th, 2011
NIGHTMARE
Worst experience of "MY" life!!!! If we are allowed to be honest. Very, very rude after my surgery.....when calling to say I was in worse pain than I was before (the day after) HE said "It must be the way we had you positioned on the table" Wow..many many years later.....I STILL HAVE THAT PAIN!!! And multiple doctors visits, blood patches, could go on and on and now about to have another neck surgery! Let's say his bedside manner is aweful...when people see my scar they ask who did it, I can hardly say his name..then several times they had the same doctor and we compare stories. Some are not so pretty. Wish I did research. My husband and I were in the Neurologist office across the hall a few years back, someone got mud on the carpet Dr. Marzluff had just replace, he was in the hall cussing about that!!!!!! WOW AGAIN...why is he still working. Anger management?

February 9th, 2010
Humanitarian
I first met Dr. Marzluff at my father's bedside following a possible brain cancer finding in the ER in Dec 09. Dr. Marzluff was highly recommended and I asked that he take the case if my father decided to go forward with surgery. The doctor was professional and compassionate given the dreadful options for such an illness. Having been briefed by another doctor the night before, my father understood his options and firmly decided that he wanted to have Dr. Marzluff remove the tumor knowing that it was his only option for longer survival. After the surgery the doctor came to the family and provided a report that was clear and thorough, giving us an opportunity to ask questions. We understood that an untreated tumor would lead to the end my father's life in a very short time but that many patients are able to see improvement of their conditions with the surgery, followed by radiation and chemotherapy. I knew from the doctor's tone that this was a very serious illness and that he hoped my father would respond favorably. It was a blessing that we had a few good days in the hospital sharing our innermost feelings and thoughts. Sadly though, my father had given up the desire to fight the cancer and passed little more than a week later. I hate the cancer that ended my father's life, but I am so grateful for Dr. Marzluff for sharing his talent and skills when the outcome was so uncertain.I know that my father died from a very aggressive form of cancer that was advanced. In my opinion, Dr. Marzluff is a humanitarian who put forth his best effort to help. I'd want him to be my doctor if I required the hand of a skilled and experienced surgeon.

December 20th, 2009
Killed my father!
What this doctor did to my father was sadistic and should be outlawed. Instead of helping my father, he caused him extreme pain and made him suffer greatly before killing him. A dog wouldn't have been treated so badly! He needs to retire asap.