Some ratings provided by DrScore.
What a Dump! show details What a Dump!
Apr 15th, 2016

I have seen kennels that were cleaner than that dreary South Toms River Office. This place is a disgrace and looks like a third world mill. Assembly line medicine.

No doctors in the office only PA's show details No doctors in the office only PA's
Apr 1st, 2016

Worst experience ever , went three times being told we would see a doctor and never was one there only PA? Asked doctor to call back and left 4 messages and no one ever called

Highly impressed! show details Highly impressed!
by George L. in SC on Jan 28th, 2016

Dr. Masessa is the third Dermatologist I've seen since moving to SC sixteen years ago. The previous two left a lot to be desired. He is very professional, very knowledgeable, a proficient surgeon with a sense of humor. He did three Mohs surgeries on me yesterday and after two cuts I was out in about 2 hours. I might add that I have not had one iota of discomfort at any of the wound sites. I am equally impressed with his staff. They are very respectful and polite. His facility is very neat and clean. And, I was very surprised today when I received a call from his P.A. inquiring about my condition. .....I have visited a Dermatologist semiannually for the past 40 years and recommend Dr. Masessa very highly.

Dr Masessa show details Dr Masessa
by Herb Druckman on Jan 28th, 2016

I think the practice has changed over the years. In the beginning I had appointments with him in Oak Ridge Road and Green Pond. He was very busy and it was always crowded. They treated you well and even had coffee ,etc for the patients I was happy with the treatment and the Staff. Dr Masessa was a little Hyper but I attributed that to his wanting to treat as many patients as possible in the day. (and his personality).I was always satisfied with what he did and did not suspect him of any over doing it as suggested in some reviews. Certainly his staff has never been rude to me and some people may be upset by the up tempo of the office and mistake that for rudeness. I enjoyed his personality and his dedication. I eventually ended up seeking his service in Rockaway even though it is further from my home .It is my understanding that Dr Masessa does not work in NJ anymore but is active in Myrtle Beach and Florida. I continue to use The Rockaway office because I have developed a confidence in Dr Xin Guan.

Jan 13th, 2016

Some people very impatient. They don 't realize sometimes doctor's need extra time with a patient. Sometimes the wait for different doctors are (in other practices) can be up to two hours. They do have emergencies. A good doctor is well worth the wait. If you go to a doctor and there is noone in the waiting room, that tells you something.

Turn over of staff show details Turn over of staff
Nov 21st, 2015

My first appointment I waited over half hour to even get checked in then when my name was called the front staff person yelled my name out . she had a very strong accent when I stated I needed to go get my insurance card she told me no card no service. I said I have to get it out of my car she said I should have been ready I'm wasting her time .I asked her name she said it wasn't in portant. I was so upset . I have told my friends and family will never go back.

patient show details patient
by Star on Aug 17th, 2015

I was a dermatology sales representative in the 1990's calling on all the dermatologist in NJ. I was always impressed by Dr, Massesa's science knowledge of all the medications in the market place, unlike most other dermatologists. I always said to myself, that if I ever need a dermatologist, I would have Dr, Massesa, treat me. I have been seeing him for 20 years...and I continue admiring his knowledge! I recommend that you do your homework before seeing him.! Yes, he will only see you for a few short minutes...but his eagle eyes will diagnose you instantly!

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!' show details RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!'
May 13th, 2015

This place is an absolute nightmare and chop shop!! I went for the "free body scam" and yes I meant to say scam!! After waiting 45 minutes I was brought back and asked to change into the paper gown. As I was changing people were walking in and out of the room without knocking and leaving the door open while I was exposed. Then the NP can in and briefly scanned my body and started pointing out almost every mole I had saying I needed biopsies. I started to panic and asked for the Dr. After an eye roll, they got Masessa. He came in bothered that I asked for him and took a glance at me and said I agree these all need looked at. He said it is what it is and that's why you came right? Uh WHAT??? He ran out of the room and then the panic is setting in more. When the PA came in she said well just let us know when you want to do it. It's $400 a mole. Again, WHAT???? You're telling me I need a ton of biopsies but come whenever I want to do it?? Mind you this was after I let them know I didn't have insurance. Well, I walked out of the office sobbing like a baby thinking I had months to live and started reading the reviews. Oh boy, I should have done that first. I contacted a Dr. Friend who suggested another Derm in my area and called them. They assured me this was crazy and they also said this was not the first time they've heard this. In fact before I even told her who it was she knew right away!! That says something. Please stay away from this office. They want to cut you to pieces to make a buck and send you out with no regard for you and your worry. They were too busy to spend time talking to me and handed me a pamphlet on ugly moles. Again REALLY??? Any Dr. that let's a pamphlet speak for them is a joke. They should have spent time talking to me and finding out my history. Most all of these moles have been there 20 years and have never changed. I'm not saying that I don't need some looked at but more than 10 seems to be excessive. If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it must be a duck!! I call money making scheme on this place. He may have helped other people before but he will NEVER come at me with a scalpel or any other instrument for that matter. Worst experience of my life. And yes Dr. Masessa, I will be reporting the behavior to the board. Leaving someone on a table exposed and doors wide open breaks all kinds of laws and my sir you are very unprofessional as is your staff.

Mark as Helpful  | 14 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Never going there again show details Never going there again
Feb 21st, 2015

After waiting for more than an hour...Went there seeing Dr Fox . She never Introduce her self.. Rushing me to make a decision on the spot. When I told her I needed a minute she was annoyed . I left there knowing I will never return!!!!

Jan 22nd, 2014

Excellent doctor and office. The staff is always a pleasure and I haven't had a bad experience yet and I have been going there for years now! I highly recommend this office! And YES he does have offices in Florida and more recently in South Carolina also and he does go to all offices by flying..I have been told. But again, GREAT EXPERIENCE!!

Can't believe he is still in business show details Can't believe he is still in business
Jan 14th, 2014

Just like the other reviews say.. he performs procedures that are not necessary. He plays on your fears. Stay away from him. He is unethical.

Mark as Helpful  | 15 people found this helpful Report Abuse
don't see this doctor show details don't see this doctor
Oct 6th, 2013

been almost a year going to this doctor, never saw this doctor, another doctor(woman) taking care of me, and she still does not know what is my problem, in all this time she game several wrong diagnosis, and a lot of medicines that been messing with my health, if you reading this review go somewhere else.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Oct 1st, 2013

Never saw the Dr. , PA did all the work. Impossible to get an appt. except with the most recent Dr. In his practice who gave me an inaccurate diagnosis. Will never go there again.

Never Saw Him but once in a year show details Never Saw Him but once in a year
Sep 25th, 2013

I went to this doctor for a year. I only saw him once. other times i was treated by his assistants. they did injections for my hair. One time I saw him and the assistant showed him a tag I wanted removed. He yelled at her, so remove it and she did. He never examined me once just talked to me once. His assistants always treated me but he billed for him doing surguries for removing moles and skin tags.

Apr 29th, 2013

horrible experience

these reviews show details these reviews
by Mr Observation on Apr 11th, 2013

what a joke....you cant believe any of this....all the good reviews come on the same days.....I believe only the bad ones. This is rediculous to think anyone is so dumb as not to see the pattern...Dr Massesa you have to be smarter than this...lol

Oct 16th, 2012

Having never had surgery before I was nervous but the Dr. and his staff are excellent at putting you at ease and I can honestly say it was painless.I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs mohs surgery.

very caring and compassionate doctor show details very caring and compassionate doctor
May 13th, 2012

Has always been empathetic and very patient with my health questions. He is the absolute best and I wouldn't go anywhere else. I trust his opinion and discretion.

glad that i met him show details glad that i met him
May 12th, 2012

ProfessionalCaringSense of humor (important for the patients)

Clifton, NJ office show details Clifton, NJ office
May 11th, 2012

Never saw the dr who I made the appt to see. Saw a nurse practitioner who diagnosed me with out ever even running or suggesting a blood test. Got a second opinion. First thing that dr did? Ordered blood work..

2/14/12 show details 2/14/12
Feb 14th, 2012

Left office very anxious after waiting an hour and 15 minutes, waited 15 minutes at front counter before even being addressed.After 45 minutes, was told I was next, then watched 3 patients get called while waiting the additional half hour. Never even saw the doctor, even after complaining, was just offered an assistant, even though I waited for an appointment to see a doctor. I would not reccomend this dr to anyone that cannot dedicate their day to a dr. visit.

very poor experience, avoid at all cost show details very poor experience, avoid at all cost
Jan 7th, 2012

Dr offices are filthy, staff puts on gloves then touch door knobs, use unsafe practices. Dr did not discuss options for mohs surgery and grafted skin himself which failed and left scaring. his forms are vague but cover him and his incompetance. Avoid at all cost.

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! show details GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!
Dec 13th, 2011

The Doctor had no bedside manner!! He cared more about opening his new offices in FL then the patient that was right in front of him. I have a number of moles removed and I have huge scars to prove it. He played on my emotions and fear of skin cancer just to get me under the knife. I had a problem after one of my procedures and the doctor DID NOT CALL me back only the office manager called. The staffs in the Rockaway and Hillsdale office were both catty and unhelpful. I would find another office.

Dont go to this DR. show details Dont go to this DR.
Nov 6th, 2011

Staff is rude, they don't want to talk to you or be bothered by you. They just want you to come in and sit down and be quiet. Had to wait over an hour every time I went. Dr. has no bed side manner at all, unprofessional. Comes in and barely speaks to you and treats you as if you are an idiot.

Never go to Dr MASSESSA - he is after your money only show details Never go to Dr MASSESSA - he is after your money only
Oct 2nd, 2011

Wow, I wish I had read the reviews from '09 and early '10. If I had, I would have never gone to this doctor. For some reason I was also delayed in writing my review. But now I am writing because I want everyone to know about this doctor. What a person he is. Oh my God. You give yourself in the hands of a doctor thinking that he will do the justice to his profession and will provide you the care and advice you need, but this doctor is a bad name to his profession. He purely is after your money. He never spent more than 10 minutes with me in total. All the time it was either his NP or a bunch of illiterate nurses who want to just poke your body everywhere. He treated me as a case of psoriasis which I never was. This wrong diagnosis took a good amount of my time from me because I just kept going to him and kept on suffering. Thankfully, it was my PCP who recommended me to another doctor who was a God send. The new doctor is a gem. The biggest thing is that he listens to me. And thank goodness, after my new doctor's right diagnosis, my life is back to normal and I can enjoy my life with my family. PLEASE NEVER EVER GO TO DOCTOR MASSESSA. I don't know who gave him his doctor degree. I wish if there was a yearly review by his college, he would have failed with a 'F'.

Sep 17th, 2011

Prior to meeting Dr. Masessa I found out I had stage 3 melanoma. It was devastating news and I knew I needed to find a top dermatologist. Thank God a friend recommended him and I switched drs. From the first time I met him I knew he was tops and I definitely feel that he is looking after my best interest at all times. Dr.Masessa is extremely thorough in his evaluation and takes the time to explain exactly what he is doing and why he is doing it. He is also extremely kind and compassionate. I have recommended him to many friends and all have been very happy with him as well.

Saw him in Boynton Beach, FL show details Saw him in Boynton Beach, FL
Jun 23rd, 2011

He is fabulous. Very professional. I saw a Boca Derm regarding Rosacea and a mark on my face. He immediately bio'd my mark, and got me on better treatment for Rosacea. Additonally he added some Dystport to help my forehead and around the eyes. I went to work and no less than 8 people came up to me asking why I look so different and rejuvenated. Dr. Masessa definitely was generous, kind and knew his dermatology! I have already sent 8 friends there. They are all very pleased as well.

5 star! show details 5 star!
Feb 9th, 2011

Dr. Masessa is the most knowledgable, kind and generous doctor out there! Not only does he take the time to listen to your concerns, but he and his staff go 1 step above tho make your visits that much better! IVe been going for over 5 years now and have never had a negative experience!! 5 STAR DOCTOR ALL THE WAY!

Great doctor - excellent care show details Great doctor - excellent care
by Tom McMillian on Feb 7th, 2011

Two weeks ago I met with Dr Masessa to have a mole removed. Dr Masessa put me at ease and removed the mole quickly and with no pain. I highly recommend him.

Wonderful person, wonderful doctor! show details Wonderful person, wonderful doctor!
Dec 9th, 2010

Dr. Masessa and his office staff always make me feel very special (rare these days). Actuallly, the attitude of the staff is always great; I went to him about two and a half years ago and the ladies at the front desk STILL remembered me! Dr. Masessa has really changed my life. My self esteem went from rock-bottom to the highest point it could reach as I had an ugly mole on my forehead and a round sun spot the size of a quarter on the side of my face that took away me ever wanting pictures taken of myself or with family and friends at events or anywhere. I was referred to Dr. Masessa through a friend and took the leap. I'm so glad I did! This doctor took the time with me to really explain everything in detail that would take place in the removing of my mole and sun spot. He answered all my cares, concerns, and questions without all the sugar-coating most doctors use. He is very professional. The day of removing my mole and sun spot, I was greeted by his staff who made me feel relaxed and put me at ease because I am a little jumpy when it comes to this sort of thing. Anyway, Dr. Masessa came in the room and before I knew it, it was all over in less than 15 minutes. Recovery was quick and the follow-up with the staff was excellent to say the least and I received numerous calls to see how I was doing. I don't know if that's common practice with doctors these days but I really appreciated it. So, thank you, Dr. Masessa and staff for taking such good care of me! I'm now showing up in more family photos, happily greeting customers at work and I have more confidence generally. Thank you so much!

Life changer show details Life changer
Dec 8th, 2010

Dr.Masessa truly changed my life and gave me the confidence to feel beautiful inside out. He was effective and precise in his treatment and gave me solutions to take care of the pigmentation. When I first went to him I had face full of acne. He started me on chemicals peels and Microderms. My skin had never looked better before. I have recommeded all my friends to go to him and they all love him. One by one I saw how he changed the faces and lives of my friends. He is the best.

Creme de la creme show details Creme de la creme
Dec 8th, 2010

I've been going to Dr. Masessa for years and that in itself is telling. I relocated from Los Angeles to New Jersey and along w/the move came cystic acne. I had never struggled w/acne before, so dealing w/it as an adult was devastating. I tried a few different dermatologists before finding Dr. Masessa, none of which were able to clear up my skin. Within the first few visits to Dr. Masessa, I was diagnosed and placed on two creams that worked instantly - not only that but my acne scars were fading fast. I was more than relieved! The Estheticians have been my saviors! They're so personable and phenomenal at what they do. Dr. Masessa's practice really is the creme de la creme!

Dec 8th, 2010

LOVE Dr Masessa! Very professional. Friendy and helpful staff. My friend referred me a few months ago and I"m so glad she did! I look forward to my monthly micros!

Thank you Dr Masessa show details Thank you Dr Masessa
Dec 8th, 2010

Dr Masessa and his staff are truly a blessing and have taken excellent care of me from my first visit to his office. Now, 2 1/2 yars later, I still highly recommend Dr. Masessa and his staff to care for all of your skin care needs. I am so grateful for Dr. Masessa and his commitment to my care and the continuing to do his best to fight my skin problems and lookout for skin cancer, which runs in my family. Thank you Dr. Masessa for your care, knowledge and commitment to my health care

I keep going back show details I keep going back
Dec 8th, 2010

Dr Masessas the best! I have been going to Dr. Masessa for 2 years now. Although my original problem is resolved, I still come in for a facial with his facialist (then Dr Masessa checks in for any problems). Dr Masessa is popular and that's why it's sometimes hard to get a tmely appointment but will make room for you in case of emergency. He is very professional, friendly, and indeed talks fast. He explains what your problem is then gives you treatment options. He hands over free samples (sometimes even a month's supply). I highly recommend him.

Travel a long way to see him show details Travel a long way to see him
Dec 8th, 2010

I've been living in Central America and despite the sunblock I've slathered on, I've become more tan and freckled than anyone should ever be.... and I keep thinking- when I book my plane ticket back to the States, I should ALSO book an appointment with Dr. Masessa. He's a priority for me! And his staff totally rock. Very professional, non-judgemental and they check up on me every 6 months. Couldnt ask for better service!

Dr Masessa fixed me show details Dr Masessa fixed me
Dec 8th, 2010

I was a hopeless case or so I thought, dogged as I was into my 30s by teenage acne. Dr Masessa has really fixed my face up. What started as sad acne face, literally ruining most of my life, making me have to accept I'm going to be like this forever. But when I went to him, he gave me some meds and it was fixed. YAY! I am EXTREMLY happy about the way that I look. I had tried everything else but what I needed was somebody to really listen to me, examine me thoroughly and really realise what was wrong. That person was Dr Masessa and I go back now just for check ups. I am very happy to have discovered him and his great staff.

I still love Dr Masessa show details I still love Dr Masessa
Dec 8th, 2010

I still think Dr. Masessa is a wonderful dermatologist. I feel really comfortable under his care and appreciate that he takes my budget into consideration. He's very easy to talk to and is always thorough in answering my questions and addressing my concerns -- this is so important when considering any kind of doctor. Honestly, I'm very happy with Dr.Masessa. If you were allowed to make a dermatologist your primary care physician, I would make him mine.

Unhappy with this Doctor. show details Unhappy with this Doctor.
Dec 1st, 2010

My first visit and he did not even look at my face. Took a long time to see me since he was on the phone.I had probably 4 different nurses come in and ask the same questions. His PA does a better job.

Nov 29th, 2010

What a great experience! I did not use the plentiful spa services offered there, but the medical side of things lived up to my expectations. The staff was courteous and professional. They were also fast. I called for an appointment on Thursday and I saw Dr Masessa on Friday. The Doctor listented to my problem, correctly diagnosed it, reviewed my treatment options, and prescribed a course of treatment with great efficiency. I also had ample time to ask questions. If you have a skin problem, don't procrastinate -- Dr Masessa and his staff made the process quick and painless.

Been here twice, going back again next week. show details Been here twice, going back again next week.
Nov 29th, 2010

Dr. Masessa was very nice, and he really listened to me when I talked about my skin. He even had someone in training with him during my appt, which I thought was pretty cool. At the time I was uninsured, so I was paying for everything out of pocket. He offered to chat with me over the phone the next time I needed an appt, instead of making my pay for an office visit. Super thoughtful. All in all great clinic, a nice clean space. One thing I will say is the receptionists could have been nicer. They were ok over the phone when making an appt, but weren't very friendly in person. They assumed I knew what to do when I got there (on my first visit to the clinic) and I had to figure it all out myself.

Dermatologist knows best show details Dermatologist knows best
Nov 29th, 2010

At first, I wasn't so sure about seeing a dermatologist. I was on this big natural health care kick (which I'm still on, for that matter) and I was very anti-everything-they-tried-to-prescribe me. However, after about six months of no improvement in my post-college acne attack, I sought their help once again. I thought, "OK, these are professionals and maybe I should do what they say instead of drinking so much apple cider vinegar." And guess what---it worked.I went to see Dr Masessa and he has been able to help me put things back into whack, so to speak. He even prescribed this topical treatment that is usually used for rosacea but ended up working miracles on me. I've been very, VERY happy with the results. There are plenty of cosmetic treatments you can get here, if you're into that. Make sure you grab a handful of samples from their big bowl of mini lotions and sunscreen on the way out!

Eczema cure show details Eczema cure
Nov 29th, 2010

I have had eczema / weird skin stuff suddenly crop up all my life. Dr. Masessa was the first doctor to suggest testing me to find out what actually causes the breakouts. in the past doctors would just write a prescription but never try to find the source.Dr. Masessa seemed to genuinely listen and care about me as a patient. What a change from my typical experience visiting a clinic. Very impressive!The assistants and nurses were kind and well-informed too.

very reassuring bedside manner show details very reassuring bedside manner
Nov 26th, 2010

Vitals.com guided me here, and here I am back on Vitals to share the love. The staff is great and has a great sense of humor, and was very accomodating of my fear of needles and of flaky insurance (I must have asked "will they cover this?!" at least three times). Dr. Masessa had a great bedside manner and removed a small mole very quickly and painlessly. Even the rooms have pretty, colorful paintings in them, as opposed to anatomical charts and posters advertising medication. I was worried that no derm could live up to my old one on the west coast, but I think I'll be okay!

Nov 26th, 2010

I chose Dr. Masessa based on abundant praise from friends. The staff is all professional, personable, and friendly which is important, since you often spend a lot of time with the staff at doctor's offices. Dr. Masessa always takes his time when discussing any concerns and answering your questions. He performs my annual checkup, completely cleared up mild acne I had years ago, and has removed several moles, both small and large. The level of care and professionalism is fantastic, and I've referred many friends to him over the years, all of whom are now happy, fellow patients. Our skin is our largest organ, and Dr. Masessa is the person I trust to maintain my healthy skin.

Goes the distance and then some show details Goes the distance and then some
Nov 26th, 2010

I brought my 14 year old daughter in for a skin condition I noticed. We met with Joe Masessa. He was very friendly and professional and went the extra mile by taking cultures of my daughter's skin problem in addition to giving us the ointment we needed. He followed up by calling me today which he said that he would which I really appreciate. I usually have to call doctors offices to find out the results and was impressed that he called me when he said she would. Parking is easy and everyone in the office was friendly.

Thanks Vitals! show details Thanks Vitals!
Nov 26th, 2010

I found this dermatology office on vitals.com and it was easy to become a new patient, and I didn't have to wait long for an appointment that fit my schedule. When I arrived, everyone was friendly, and even gave me compliments on my hair. Really can't go wrong with flattery. I have NEVER been seen so quickly at any Dr's office. They were right on time, and I didn't have to wait in the room for another half hour waiting for the Dr to come. I saw Dr. Joe Masessa and found him to be very personable, knowledgeable and eager to answer any questions I had. No one in the office pressured me to buy their many products available or cosmetic procedures. The nurse even gave me a ridiculous amount of free samples of lotions and face wash. And although I have no reason to go back (mole was ok guys, no worries.), I would strongly recommend them to anyone looking for a dermatologist.

I only trust Doctor Masessa show details I only trust Doctor Masessa
Nov 24th, 2010

I love Dr. Joe! I've been going to him since I was younger and to this day he's still incredibly warm and gentle to doctorphobic people like myself. I still make it a point to see him for any dermatological issues even though I live in LA now. I can't imagine anyone else making me feel more comfortable and confident that any skin issue has a straightforward solution. I really can't recommend Dr. Masessa highly enough!

Really good experience show details Really good experience
Nov 23rd, 2010

I had my follow up appointment yesterday and Dr Masessa is more amazing than ever. He took the time to sit and talk with me and make sure that everything was going ok with my medication. I had a 2pm appointment he was in the room with my by 2:05pm. I had another cyst on my arm that I wanted removed and he took care of it for me. He even let me lay down and catch my breath when I almost passed out from getting the stitch for it! (No, I can't handle blood/stitches). With how hard it is to find even a decent doctor, I can't believe how blessed I am to have found such an excellent doctor.

Nov 19th, 2010

Dr. Masessa is an excellent dermatologist. I found him through Vitals.com where 9 patients rated him very highly. I agree with them and am very satisfied with the care I received.Dr. Masessa is friendly and very professional. He examined my skin thoroughly and explained everything with a very high level of detail that I appreciated. I also had a skin biopsy (sample) done this morning, and the procedure was done well (as far as I could tell).His office is clean and modern, if that matters to you. Highly recommended

Great recommendation show details Great recommendation
Nov 19th, 2010

I went to Dr. Masessa on the recommendation of a colleague and he was fabulous! Within moments of entering the exam room, he was able to diagnose that which had baffled both my primary physician and dentist. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. Best of all, he gave me samples of the prescription he recommended, which worked immediately so I never had to fill the prescription. I was literally in and out in about 15 min. His staff is very friendly, as well.

Thanks for your help Vitals! show details Thanks for your help Vitals!
Nov 19th, 2010

I recently moved out to the Parsippany area and I'm not too familiar with where everything is yet, so I've been checking Vitals.com for dermatologists.I recently discovered that I'm allergic to my boyfriend's cat, and it had caused me some discomfort with some rashes that were starting to appear in different areas of my body. So I went out and researched a bunch of different dermatologists and I decided to see Dr. Masessa based on his reviews from his previous clients on Vitals.The office staff was friendly, and the wait was short. I was in and out with my prescription, and all of my questions answered in about 30 minutes. I had to fill out paperwork since I was a new patient, but that didn't take long either.Dr. Masessa was very straight to the point, and he didn't try to get me to do anything different to my skin that may worsen my rash. He prescribed me my prescription and told me that if things should get worse which he didn't see happening that I could just come back in and we'd try something new. He was helpful, but he also just confirmed many of the things I already knew. Really reassuring and worthwhile

Down to earth dermatologist show details Down to earth dermatologist
Nov 18th, 2010

Dr. Masessa is the BEST dermatogist ever!!!!! I've gone to several derms in the past in NJ but have never met such a caring doctor. Some were good and supposedly very smart but kind of stuck up bc they went to Harvard Med school or wherever. I went to go see him this past Friday. I was seen promptly. It was a pleasant surprise. I had expected to wait at least since most doctors offices make you wait forever even if you show up on time. I have insurance (HMO) but I just did self-pay because I dind't want to go through the hassle of getting referred and etc. It was definitely worth it.I hadn't seen Dr. M in 3 years. He asked me what I'm up to now since I was in school when he saw me last. I almost felt like i was catching up with an old friend who I haven't seen in a while. It was GREAT! Dr. Masessa is the most self-confident professional I have encountered so close to home. He has a no-nonsense personal approach to his practice. I visited the Rockaway location where the office is clean, bright and the staff is exceptional. They are passionate about their practice, well-informed of insurance policies, and welcoming. Without question, Dr. Masessa is the ONLY dermatologist I would reccomend.He performed (2) biopsies with ease and precision and I have a follow-up visit within 10 days. I will have several cysts removed from my scalp, too. With a history of skin cancer (10 years ago), I know he will uncover my issues and I will be on the road to better health.My advice: stop searching the net! Call for an appointment today! He's the best of the best.My only regret is that I didn't find him sooner.

Great beside manner show details Great beside manner
Nov 17th, 2010

Dr. Masessa is an awesome dermatologist. I had been to several derms before I found him. I'm sticking to this one!! Very friendly staff. Not the best looking office but hey, his experience and professionalism speaks volumes. Wonderful, funny, attentive doctor that really cares about your well-being overall, not just your skin...

Best derm yet show details Best derm yet
Nov 17th, 2010

Really clear skin show details Really clear skin
Nov 17th, 2010

Joe Masessa is a great listener, I never feel pressured, is inherently kind, and genuinely CARES about YOU getting clearer healthier skin. I went to see him for a facial to help clean out my jawline cystic acne and he shared so many tips to help me rethink how I take care of my skin. If I wanted my skin to change, I had to change, and no one had ever told me that before. Nothing too major, little things like cleaning off my cell phone and modifying my night time routine. I needed to reteach my skin to be healthy and strong after years of acne. His services seem reasonable and I am seeing results! Since seeing Dr Masessa, my skin is smoother, no longer plagued with painful bumps, and I am seeing positive changes. Dr Masessa is THE guide to the clear healthy skin you want. I'm seeing changes, and I like it!

Very good service show details Very good service
Nov 16th, 2010

I went to see Dr Masessa on the recommendation of my regular doctor. I called to make an appointment and I was easily able to get a very convenient appointment time very quickly. I've been here twice for treatment and was able to get in and out very easily. Everyone who works here from the front desk staff to the nurses to the doctor have been very friendly.I saw Dr. Masessa on the first visit and then returned a second time for the surgical procedure with the Physician Assistant.I had a cyst removed from my back right on my spine and the Physician Assistant was very gentle in removing it and I had no pain whatsoever during the procedure. She made me feel very comfortable and was very gentle. I was on a deadline to get some moles removed before my insurance ran out and Dr. Masessa himself called me to let me know they had earlier appointments open up due to cancellation. Now that is service. I highly recommend this clinic to anyone looking for a dermatologist.

Life saver show details Life saver
Nov 16th, 2010

I've been going to Dr. Masessa for 4 or 5 years now and I think he's the best. I've been to quite a few dermatologists - most of them in my teens and twenties due to acne. Now that I'm older (and I'm not saying how old) both my husband and I started getting annual full body skin exams. Good thing I was doing it because last year Dr. Masessa cut off a suspicious mole (one I couldn't even see!) which turned out to be early stage melanoma. I honestly believe he could have saved my life so of course I love her even more! I appreciate that his office is always running on time - I've never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to see him.

Very good value show details Very good value
Nov 15th, 2010

One of the best dermatologist I have been too. The staff is friendly and the doctor is amazing. He is very concerned that you do not spend a lot of money and him and his staff personally take care of calling the pharmacy to get things straightened out when a medication was not approved by the insurance. I can honestly say that Dr. Masessa and his staff are an amazing bunch of people.

The best at what he does show details The best at what he does
Nov 15th, 2010

Dr. Masessa has been my doctor for many years. I initially chose Dr. Masessa because of his exceptional educational background and experience; and, after many visits for many years, I have had nothing but perfect, professional experiences. In practice now for many years, he is quite well known in NewJersey and I have heard the same from many people (when we've found out by chance we share the same doctor). In fact, I have been so pleased with Dr. Masessa that I often recommend him to friends. Dr. Masessa is always positive and receptive, careful to listen to any medical concerns and very focused to treat his patients in the best possible way. His staff is also outstanding and I appreciate seeing the same smiling faces and to always be treated with the utmost courtesy and care - this can be the exception so I appreciate their very friendly but professional demeanor. In one specific case when I needed to have an emergency appointment, him office immediately accommodated me and for that I was very grateful. On average, I have never had to wait longer time than in any other doctors office (would say the wait is actually shorter than most). A wait at the doctors office does not bother me but actually puts me at ease understanding that a doctor may have to spend extra time with some patients that cannot be pre-factored into scheduling. I appreciate this in that skin cancer is such a terrible risk, and in these cases I know Dr. Masessa is extremely vigilant to address any such concerns. In sum, this is a doctor I highly recommend. In addition the office is very nice while maintaining the clean, sterile atmosphime expected. For any person with medical or cosmetic concerns, Dr. Masessa is the best option in our area in my opinion.

Nov 14th, 2010

Growing up I was a kid that was ALWAYS in the sun...playing sports, playing with friends in our backyards, and lifeguarding...and even though my cajun heritage has blessed me with an olive complexion that hardly burns, I have now realized that I'm not immune to skin cancer worries.I was pretty worried about a spot that had shown up on my leg and Dr. Masessa was thorough and comforting. He scanned my entire epidermis for potential spots of concern and provided his advice from many years of experience. Thank goodness that my somethinsomethin-oma was not anything to worry about!!A word of advice, you probably shouldn't go to a dermatologist after spending a weekend in the sun and if you do, prepare yourself for getting a Masessa talkin' to. I decided to go with a slightly peeling nose...whoops!! Go get an exam folks...it's definitely worth it!!

Great service show details Great service
Nov 13th, 2010

I don't have a primary dermatologist never less a primary physician but when I needed a dermatologist to look at my rash on my neck, I knew that going on Vitals.com wouldn't let me down.Dr. Masessa is very cool. When I say cool, I mean he's down to earth and knows what's up. This guy and his team is very knowledgeable and treats you with care. I had a nasty rash on my neck and back for over 6 months. I know I should have gone sooner but when it started to act up I had to go find a doctor.I came to him and he basically diagnosed it within 5 minutes. I had a crazy case of eczema and he prescribed me a creme to use. However he gave me samples as well to use so that if it does go away, I wouldn't have to fill the Rx. That's pretty cool. My eczema practically went away within a couple of days. I would recommend Dr. Afsahi to anyone who doesn't have a dermatologist yet.

Nov 13th, 2010

I found Dr. Masessa here on Vitals as well...the power of the internet working at its best!As a very pale redhead, I do have skin cancer concerns, so it makes me feel like a responsible adult to get the full body scan of my moles and whatever else! The first time I was there, Dr. Masessa did find a troublesome mole, so they removed it right away. I was also able to get an appointment on quite short notice for a weird thing on my neck which he quickly remedied.I take the best care of my freckled skin but a girl needs help from time to time and Dr Masessa is my go to guy. It's worth it for a Dr that actually pays attention and cares!

Job well done show details Job well done
Nov 12th, 2010

Our daughter had been suffering with moderate eczema for almost three years. We saw our local dermatologist and pediatrician for all this time with no success. Nothing that the offered provided any relief for our daughter.Then my wife discovered the New Jersey Dermatology Center and Dr. Joe Masessa. The information that we were provided there for free was a million times better than what we had been getting from other doctors. Dr. Masessa and all the people at the Dermatology Center were friendly and welcoming. I went there by myself the first time to check it out and everyone there came up and introduced themselves and seem genuinely concerned about my daughter that they had never met.We ended up scheduling our daughter to see Dr. Masessa. With the cleansing routine, medication and moisturization schedule he provided our daughters skin was clear within a month!!We are thankful that we live so close to the Dermatology center in Rockaway and have access to doctors of this high caliber.

Another satisfied patient show details Another satisfied patient
Nov 12th, 2010

I agree with Dr Massesas other patients about him being great. He is a specialist with lasers, sun damage, broken capillaries, etc. I am an esthetician and have always seen great work by him on my clients and I recommend him to new clients if I see they need his kind of help. He also has a lot of integrity and If he can't fix something he will tell you. Dr Masessas waiting list to get in is quite long so I know a lot of other people like him too. I found him to be very sweet! I bet if you don't take care of your skin or especially if you tan he will have something to say about it but, if you pay tons of money for laser treatments why wouldn't you wear sunblock every day? Anyway, great doctor if you are serious about fixing your skin.

A real face saver show details A real face saver
by Judith K on Nov 9th, 2010

Dr M is the best dermatologist I have ever visited. My sun damage was extensive and I though I was a hopeless case but Dr Masessa very kindly walked me through the procedures, explained the pros and cons as well as the cost to me. He was not at all pushy about securing payment for a treatment package up front and I really appreciated that. As a PR executive my face is very important to me as I am often the first point of contact for both the great and the good in our fair state and Dr Masessa has restored my confidence completely. My treatments were a pleasure to experience and I would not hesitate to recommend him to my friends and family. Dr Masessa in now an integral part of my regime. Thanks very much!

Seems OK to me . . . show details Seems OK to me . . .
Oct 28th, 2010

For me, waiting time is the most important and I haven't had to wait. I usually see the nurse practitioner who is fine. Yes, they tend to take chunks, but then all dermatologists do . . .

I absolutely love him! show details I absolutely love him!
Oct 20th, 2010

Great doctor and the staff was wonderful. They were very helpful and treated me like a friend and not just a patient. I absolutely love him! He is very professional, attentive, and knowledgeable. Each and every staff member that I had contact with was professional, courteous, and helpful. I am very pleased with my results. Top notch facility and staff. I definitely will return and will highly recommend him.

Stay away!! show details Stay away!!
May 14th, 2010

He is the rudest, most unprofessional doctor I've ever encountered! Spends about 1 minute with you, gets annoyed if you ask questions and is beyond disrespectful to his staff! I will never go back to him or recommend him to anyone even my enemies!!!

My entire family loves him show details My entire family loves him
May 6th, 2010

Dr. Masessa has treated my entire family which includes my wife and three children. He is a brilliant Dr. and extremely competent in MOH's surgery. My children have been treated by the nurse practitioners for acne with excellent results.

Dec 16th, 2009

Do not go to him!!!! I expected to get a full body check but all he did was examine me from the waist up (this must have taken all of two minutes) and then he started to leave. When I said I expected a full normal examination, he said to come back in six months. I repeat, DO NOT GO TO HIM!!!!

Patient BEWARE!!! show details Patient BEWARE!!!
Sep 23rd, 2009

This doctor is all out for money!!! He is a butcher and goes overboard with the "little" removals of suspicious moles. I have a 2 inch scar on my back that was unnecessary! I am sure he recieves a larger amount of money for the larger size incision. Find another doctor and listen to the ratings. ALL TRUE!!!

Aug 5th, 2009

I went to visit Dr. Masessa's office some time ago and found him and the staff to be rude, rude, rude. I thought I was the only one by the looks of the crowded waiting room, but see by the reviews I have company. I have not, and will not, return.

Jul 6th, 2009

Please do not go to this DR. He is extremely rude and unprofessional.

The Dr. in front of his name makes me want to vomit show details The Dr. in front of his name makes me want to vomit
by Patient-10035 on May 14th, 2009

I went to the office because I had a skin infection. When I got into the patient room I felt like a university test subject because there were four nurse practitioners looking my face up and down. This seems like it would be something good, but it was not. They were hesitant about a course of action and lacked the confidence and know how I needed, wanted, and expected. This is the way it is with Dr.Masessa-- nurse practitioners deal with the patients on a day-to-day basis and he is rarely seen unless he feels obligated or if it is a severe case in his eyes. The nurses injected me with 6 needles and within minutes I was swollen along my jaw line and up to my ear. I was also unable to talk because the region around my mouth and neck had become inflamed. Masessa was sent for at this time, but there was bickering between him and the nurse practitioners which was very unprofessional. He poked his head in for one minute and after realizing my condition said with severity i had to go to the hospital because my condition was life threatening and that people die from this. He told me the hospital was 5 minutes away and had an office assistant write me the address. No EMS was sent for and i drove myself to the hospital. I was hospitalized for three days and during that time I developed an abscess. During that time Masessa never called, nor anyone from his office and in fact they called my mother to see if I was going to hold my appointment scheduled two days out--what a joke. I had two infectious disease doctors take care of me and a plastic surgeon used a scalpel to clear out the abscess (excruciating pain). Three days of agony, cutting of my face to remove an abscess, numerous needles to draw blood, and the anxiety he caused my family will never be forgiven. Right now I am recovering, but have a hole in my face where the abscess formed. Please do not go to this doctor! He doesn't provide his patients with the care they deserve and make sure to research any doctor you plan on seeing.

The worst! Stay far away!!! show details The worst! Stay far away!!!
by Amelia on Feb 26th, 2009

My husband & I both started going last year to body-map suspicious moles. I made sure to get a receipt each time I paid by cash & told my husband to do the same. Sure enough, everytime the copay was paid by cash (including a few that were paid by credit cd) we recieved a bill as if the money was never paid. After this happened a second time I cancelled all our appointments. The one time I met Masessa he was very rude to me. I had one mole that he decided was OK even though the lab report stated that there were abnormalities, he never bothered to explain why he made this decision and the staff really wasn't sure either. When I had a tick removed and my second blood test came back with 3 out of 4 indications for Lyme's, they weren't really sure what to say and I was told to go to my GP and ask. In my husband's case they told him that they needed to remove a mole and it was a simple proceedure. Armed with this information he planned to go right to work afterwards. He had no idea he would be given anesthesia, have a huge hunk cut out of his side and be in terrible pain for the next 2 weeks with bandages that had to be changedeach day and stiches that had to be removed 4 weeks later. Groggy with pain, he left the facility in Rockaway and drove all the way to work. In every case I have had an outpatient proceedure/surgery elsewhere I have always had everything explained prior and been told they would not allow me to drive afterwards. Nothing was explained to my husband, he had to push for what little incorrect information he was given.