Dr. Joseph Masessa MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

October 18th, 2016
Worst experience of my life
First time going to a dermatologist, only to be misdiagnosed! It's easy to get an appointment, but when there is an issue... They won't acknowledge you....

August 25th, 2016
HORRIBLE office staff
Dr. is nice if you can see him. The staff always wants you to see a P.A. who has a 4-year degree instead of seeing the doctor.

August 18th, 2016
Pathetic Practitioner
Physician saw my 7 year old daughter and provided a caustic cream treatment knowingly that it would cause blistering. Dod not mention this until after the fact to my wife. Scared my wife into my child having treatment because the condition could worsen and travel to genitalia.

August 18th, 2016
AWFUL
This was the WORSE experience I have ever had. I took my 7 year old for Eczema this Dr Joseph that spent less than 5 minutes with me basically said we have to take care of the virus and all she will have are a few blisters. My daughter came home in tears the blisters are huge he didnt even send her an antibiotic and the cream he sent is not covered by the insurance. I am married to a man in the medical field and for one minute did I ever think someone could do this to a 7 year old. I called his office and he works only on wed. Waited for a call back and now at 5.45 i call the office and even though it should be till 600 of course I got an answering service. My daughter has not slept missed school and will miss tomorrow again.. Why didnt he tell me all this and why did he order such an invasive procedure I do thank his nurse that advised AGAINST his orders and only did half. If she would have followed his orders GOD knows we would have been in the ER. My husband ordered her KEFLEX and a burn cream and NOW more than 24 hrs later she is not crying even the pharmacist was amazed at what he DID NOT order. NEVER again I will take her to a dermatologist in Miami!

August 13th, 2016
Find another dermatologist
This is a very poorly run practice and only has PA's I have NEVER seen the doctor in the office or at a visit and have been told he is in another state not even here in New Jersey. Also despite asking to receive a call despite calling and leaving multiple messages with the staff and even the office manager.

August 13th, 2016
Traumatized
My primary care doctor gave me a referral to see a dermatologist. When I Left his office I saw that he had referred me to Dr. Masessa. I almost cried as it brought back memories of my horrible experience with him about 6 years ago. it was my second visit to the office, I was laying on the chair and was being prepped for surgery to remove basal cell carcinoma, diagnosed on my first visit. I had not met the doctor on my first visit. I was confident enough as the nurses or assistants were prepping me. They put a cover over my face...no big deal, but then the doctor came in and was getting things ready to do the surgery. I felt a little uncomfortable about the doctor getting ready to cut into me when I hadn't seen his face or introduced myself. So I very pleasantly said I am Joan, can I remove the remove the cover to say hello. Without responding, he picked the cover very quickly then sarcastically said "there is that good enough? " then he put the cover right back over me as quickly as he'd taken it off. I thought that was odd and rude, but I wasn't scared....yet. I just figured he was a busy person and I understood he had to get to work. With my face still covered, he began berating one of the nurses about how she'd prepared me. This concerned me for a few reasons. It brought into question her competence as my nurse, and I was appalled at how unprofessional he was. In addition I didn't want someone that angry cutting into me. But I kept my mouth shut. One of the nurses left the room. He made a small incision on above my eye. He then left the room for a minute, my face still covered, and one of the nurses said to the other, "I don't know how you deal with him". I added that I didn't understand how she dealt with it either. Then one nurse left and a few minutes later another staff member came in and asked me about the conversation that had just taken place. I was scared - for me and for them. But I told her exactly what was said and that it was not a big deal. Then she left. She came back in with the the doctor about 5 minutes after that. He was very angry at me and his staff. And he said to me" you are lying on my table and you are already cut open so I guess if you don't like me you can go somewhere else, is that what you want...even though you are cut open? I didn't know WHAT TO SAY, I was so frightened but tried to stay calm. I said no everything is ok, you can go ahead. But he persisted saying I should have someone else do it. But since I was cut open already I didn't see how I COULD go to someone else. He persisted, so I said I was ok with him doing it and I trusted him - (even though i didn't really want him doing it.) I was in a no win situation. I said if you have someone else in the office that can do that would be ok with me. He said he didn't have another surgeon. The whole thing was really bizarre. I was in a position of being forced to beg him to finish the procedure when I knew he was in a state of anger. He finished what he had to do. I said nothing. I left and was numb, bewildered, shaken up temendously, at what had just occurred. I was in disbelief. I called my husband because I was so upset I didn't feel I should drive yet. He calmed me down. But I did cry whe I got home. I knew I should've reported what happened to someone. I just didn't know who, and I wanted to put it behind me. A few days later though, I called my insurance company and spoke with a representative. I just needed to tell someone. I have thought about that experience many times since. I was angry at me for not standing up for myself when the doctor was reproaching me. I was fearful that this might happen to someone else. This was only my experience. But I have to say, read every review. Be discerning. No doctor should EVER treat a patient or his staff like I was treated that day. I see my experiences in many of these reviews here.

June 16th, 2016
Went to clifton office today with a bad itch. The PA (i didn't get her name) was in a rush but showed such a genuine concern for me and gave me the meds I needed. The wait was long but I gotta say it meant a lot knowing she cared. Hopefully the problem with be solved. But def good bedside manner PA! Keep it up! Reminds me of why I'm going to med school.

May 11th, 2016
Recent patient, never again
Where to start. Well. Anyone who thinks this doctor is anything other than a chop shop is just as blind as I was. Having never been to a dermatologist before I went to have some spots looked at. They never hesitated to start chopping away. In less than a year I had over 20 biopsies done and a plastic surgery ordered. Over half of the biopsies came back fine yet they still aggressively continued to order biopsies of additional "spots" My plastic surgery that I was extremely urged to get was on a mole that I had since I was born, and while large it had never changed. Instead of watching it or taking any other path they used scare tactics to make me think a complete removal was my only option. After seeing another doctor for a second opinion I realize that they used my lack of knowledge and their pushiness to complete unnecessary procedures. Unless something is coming back positive you do not need to remove ever mole on a persons body.

April 15th, 2016
What a Dump!
I have seen kennels that were cleaner than that dreary South Toms River Office. This place is a disgrace and looks like a third world mill. Assembly line medicine.

April 1st, 2016
No doctors in the office only PA's
Worst experience ever , went three times being told we would see a doctor and never was one there only PA? Asked doctor to call back and left 4 messages and no one ever called

January 28th, 2016
Highly impressed!
Dr. Masessa is the third Dermatologist I've seen since moving to SC sixteen years ago. The previous two left a lot to be desired. He is very professional, very knowledgeable, a proficient surgeon with a sense of humor. He did three Mohs surgeries on me yesterday and after two cuts I was out in about 2 hours. I might add that I have not had one iota of discomfort at any of the wound sites. I am equally impressed with his staff. They are very respectful and polite. His facility is very neat and clean. And, I was very surprised today when I received a call from his P.A. inquiring about my condition. .....I have visited a Dermatologist semiannually for the past 40 years and recommend Dr. Masessa very highly.

January 28th, 2016
Dr Masessa
I think the practice has changed over the years. In the beginning I had appointments with him in Oak Ridge Road and Green Pond. He was very busy and it was always crowded. They treated you well and even had coffee ,etc for the patients I was happy with the treatment and the Staff. Dr Masessa was a little Hyper but I attributed that to his wanting to treat as many patients as possible in the day. (and his personality).I was always satisfied with what he did and did not suspect him of any over doing it as suggested in some reviews. Certainly his staff has never been rude to me and some people may be upset by the up tempo of the office and mistake that for rudeness. I enjoyed his personality and his dedication. I eventually ended up seeking his service in Rockaway even though it is further from my home .It is my understanding that Dr Masessa does not work in NJ anymore but is active in Myrtle Beach and Florida. I continue to use The Rockaway office because I have developed a confidence in Dr Xin Guan.