Dr. J Merrell MD Patient Reviews

• Plastic Surgery Suffolk, VA

• Good
  • Bad

June 14th, 2016
He is worth the wait. He just spends the time needed with you. This makes him run behind but you feel that you are his number one priority when you are finally back!

March 30th, 2016
Awesome Dr. Very knowledgable.

March 16th, 2016
The Very BEST
A doctor who makes you feel like family!! Outstanding STAFF!

January 28th, 2016
Exceptional
He is an exceptional Doctor with a wonderful bedside manner. He really cares about his patients and provides only the best first class service. I don't usually think anyone is "excellent at everything" - but this man really is.

July 13th, 2015
Thanks Dr Merrill. I am grateful and appreciative for what you have done for me.

April 8th, 2015
Mommy makeover
I'm beyond thrilled with the entire experience. I have my pre-baby body back. Fantastic work.

June 19th, 2014
Barber/stylist
For starters excellent consultation & explain well, answers all questions takes time with you. I feel he has brought me from a nightmare & back .Literally he saved my life. I had 2 types of breast cancer, one very rare & he caught it where others didn't. Not to mention early melanoma.Waiting is not a thing with me even though it happens. I travel from Richmond Va. & I value the care I get. What's more important ? I have time but 1 life. He also took the time to follow up with other doctors while in his care& prompt. He also has the best bedside manners I feel and I would recommend him for sure.

June 18th, 2014
Amazing!
I went to Dr. Merrell for a breast augmentation after having and nursing two children, from my initial consultation I felt very comfortable and at ease with Dr. Merrell and his staff. Dr. Merrell is amazing! I went from barely a "B" ski slope breasts to a full, beautiful and natural looking D cup! He made my breasts completely proportioned to my body and they're beautiful! I highly recommend you see Dr. Merrell if you are considering a breast augmentation, he's very meticulous and thorough. Dr. Merrell and his staff will take great care of you!

June 6th, 2014
Augmentation
From the very first time I stepped foot into Dr. Merrell's office I knew that I should be there. His staff was friendly and caring and immediately made me feel like a part of their "family." Dr. Merrell was very thorough and took plenty of time to explain everything to me in detail. I felt so comfortable and knew that I wanted him to be my surgeon. I got the most amazing results from Dr. Merrell doing my breast augmentation. I wish I had gone to see him years ago! I will continue to see Dr. Merrell in the future and he is the ONLY physician I will refer my friends and family to.

April 3rd, 2013
Dr. Merrell is a bad choice for facial surgery
An obvious unprofessional money grubber. Totally indifferent to any concerns you may have. Ridicules if you have a complaint. I doubt he keeps up with the latest technology. I doubt he does anything he doesn't get paid for.
Doctor's Response

We cannot speak to your specific situation because you are hiding behind the "anonymous" name so often taken by those who wish to take cheap shots at medical professionals. Join me on my next Operation Smile Mission - where I pay my own expenses and forego what I could have earned in my practice for many weeks and you will begin to appreciate how far your impressions are from the truth. No hard feelings, take off the mask of anonymity and come see us again - as always there will be no charge for your consultation consultation. PSAT

March 3rd, 2013
Mastectomy Breast Reconstruction
My search for a plastic surgeon started on the internet. My nightmare began when I learned the difference between “breast reconstruction” and “mastectomy breast reconstruction.” It got worse as I interviewed plastic surgeons. All of the plastic surgeons I met said they couldn’t reconstruct my breasts to their normal size without “rippling” disfigurement using saline or silicone implants, but none of them offered gel implants which would virtually eliminate the risk. They used tattoos to mimic the dark circle around the nipples. That looked like red marker dots painted on Barbie boobs with little lumps on them. None of the doctors did microsurgery and all left conspicuous scars. I was surprised when one of the surgeons said he considered reconstruction consultation as a means to prepare patients for disappointment. I almost gave up. Then I found Dr. Merrell. Meeting him and his staff was comforting beyond measure! Dr. Merrell was very generous with his time answering questions, making sure he understood what I wanted , making sure I understood what to expect and he has a great sense of humor. He uses the new gel implants; also known as gummy implants. He said I wouldn’t have to worry about rippling disfigurement with gel implants. I could have any size I wanted. I will never forget the moment he threw one on the floor, stomped it and said, “These will never burst or leak.” It was a good time for a laugh. I had a good one. His portfolio demonstrated beautiful results, but I wanted to meet one of his patients to his work in person. He arranged a meeting with a former patient with a similar body type as mine. She and I shared our experiences and she unveiled some of the most beautiful breasts I had ever seen! Her scars were nearly invisible. Her nipples and areola looked natural. Everything about her breasts looked and felt natural all the way down to the finest detail. If I didn’t already know she had a mastectomy, I wouldn’t believe it if someone told me. Whenever I have to wait a long time in the waiting room, I am thankful because I know he is taking extra time with someone else who needs it like I did when we first met.

March 27th, 2010
DIEP FLAP SURGERY
Dr. Merrell performed Diep Flap surgery on me 9 years ago. He was the most professional, courteous, caring doctor I ever met. The results of the surgery were wonderful - he made me whole again and I'll be forever grateful for having chosen him as my surgeon! Thank you!!!!