Dr. Joseph Whalen MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery Jacksonville, FL

May 27th, 2016
I have seen Dr. Whalen many times. He has never failed to help me.

April 28th, 2016
Excellent doctor who displays compassion and knowledge. I have been to many doctors within the last year who had no understanding of my condition (I,e,tarsal tunnel). Dr. Whalen actually took the time to review prior medical records and make diagnosis within several moments and developed a plan of action.

July 18th, 2015
Most wonderful doctor!
I traveled 13 hours one-way to be seen at Mayo Clinic. I have had undiagnosed foot pain for over 5 years and finally fell into Dr. Whalen's care. After several doctors were unsure what my diagnosis should be, Dr. Whalen was the first doctor with a definite answer. For 5 years I had 2 orthopedic surgeons, 2 podiatrists, a rheumatologist and 3 radiologists MISS A FRACTURE ON BOTH OF MY FEET! Dr. Whalen did not read my chart and just give me an answer. No, he actually asked me questions and showed true concern about my chronic pain. I don't know how the other folks could fathom that Dr. Whalen is anything but a compassionate doctor. He was the only doctor to give me positive news that I would not live in chronic pain. Every other doctor said I would just have to "suck it up" or "live with it." Dr. Whalen was a BLESSING! After walking on fractured bones for 5 years I no longer have to live my life as a vegetable. A simple fusing of the broken joint and a stretching of myAchilles in each leg (done as outpatient) I have my life back. He is beyond caring and understanding. I will never regret that I drove 2 days to see Dr. Whalen instead of continuing to see a less than competent doctor at Barnes Jewish in Missouri.

February 28th, 2014
Patient
Dr. Whalen rates 5 stars and more in all the categories listed. He listens and answers your questions. He and his staff go beyond courteous...they make you feel as though you are their only patient for the day. If you walk in with concerns, you will walk out confident in knowing your health issues are in extremely competent hands. I would recommend Dr. Whalen to my family if they have issues in his area of expertise. After many years of experience and practice, he still retains his passion for healing. I highly recommend Dr. Joseph l. Whalen.

November 18th, 2013
Keep looking...
I went to Dr. Whalen for a 2nd opinion.... and what I learned was that my regular doctor was a far better choice. Dr. Whalen stated that the ONLY solution for my foot/toe problem was to fuse the big toe, that recovery would be 6 weeks- and that I had to stay off it for that time, and that if I didn't do exactly as he directed, surgery to re-correct it would be worst than the first. I had surgery 2 weeks ago today, performed by my regular foot doctor- a new joint in my big toe/2nd toe had a wedge cut out/screwed back together so it's now pointing correctly- I'm going back to work tomorrow. Oh, Dr. Whalen's final words to me- "If anyone tells you differently, they're WRONG". Well, HE was wrong. VERY wrong. He was NOT what I expected from Mayo Clinic.

August 20th, 2012
Benedetto
I am an ankle implant patient of Dr. Whalen's and he is at the "top of my list." He and his staff have taken very good care of me and are never too busy to explain and answer any questions I may have. He is a very special doctor!

November 19th, 2011
Ankle diaagnosis
I went to the Mayo Clinic and seen Dr Whalen about my ankle. This was the best medical experienace I have ever had, it was amazing. Everyone was on time, no waiting, courtious, clean, friendly. Every business should take lessons, this was truly amazing.

June 2nd, 2011
Pennie B. Shaw, B.S., R.N,
Dr. Whalen is the first person in three years to answer in the affirmative when I asked, "Do I have a chance to walk again"? Having been injured in a household accident, I found Dr. Whalen empathetic. He will do surgery, and I have hope now that I can get off a walker,perhaps back into my own shoes and be rid of the terrible change this accident brought about in my life.I will be with him all the way.

December 30th, 2010
Dr walked in the room & asked "how are you feeling, I stated, could be better. His next reply was "nothing is broke nothing is torn, so what else do you want". He looked at my MRI, when I asked if he read the report, he said No. When he did look at it, he stated "ok the tendon was torn, but is healing could take 6 months". He might be a good surgeon, but severly lacks bedside manners & professonalism. When I asked if he knew the MD who referred me, he made a face with a condesending "yeah". I would never again travel 83 miles to be treated like a second class citizen. No I would never recommend him!

November 1st, 2010
Intimidating
This doctor sprung a major surgery opinion on me and forced me to ask him questions about everything. He was not forthcoming at all. He was sarcastic at times and had no empathy for me with the difficult diagnosis I was given. I cried all the way home.