Dermatologist (skin)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Some ratings provided by Doctor.com. DrScore.
 |  amazing  |  show details
Oct 21st, 2014

Was the best office I have been to in a long time...

|  Best in Athens  |  show details
by Nancy on Sep 12th, 2014

Don't usually write reviews, but this office is worth telling everybody about. Dr. Chastain is very good at what she does. The office staff very friendly and helpful. They made me feel at ease

|  Awesome Dr and staff!  |  show details
Sep 8th, 2014

I love Dr Chastains office. Her and her staff are always so nice vas helpful! I'm always brought back on time which is nice because that very rare.

|  Awesome!  |  show details
by j. . on Aug 28th, 2014 on doctor.com

I love Dr Chastain and her office staff. They're always so kind and courteous! I would definitely recommend her office to anyone.

|  Great office  |  show details
by Hazel on Aug 24th, 2014

Want to write a review and say how great Dr Joy Chastain and her office staff are. Was there last week everyone was nice and friendly. The wait time in waiting room was really short due to the fact the front office staff asked me to go on line to their web site and do my paper work. Was very easy to do and was there when I arrived. Back office staff was equally great. BEST OFFICE I'VE BEEN TO!!

|  Y'all ROCK...best DR, ever!!!!  |  show details
by mandi . on Jul 29th, 2014 on doctor.com

Has been coming for years and have always had a wonderful experance.

|  Wonderful office  |  show details
by janet . on Jun 16th, 2014 on doctor.com

Front desk was very sweet and come to see the doctor and she helped me

|  Great service every time!  |  show details
by Tina H. on Jun 4th, 2014 on doctor.com

Every time I have an appointment with Dr. Chastain or a medical assistant, my visit is very thorough, precise, and they explain everything in a very a ...

by Vicky B. on May 27th, 2014 on doctor.com

Dr. Chastain's office goes out of there way to help, always concerned. They take there time and always very pleasant.

|  nice  |  show details
by Anonymous on May 8th, 2014 on doctor.com

Always a pleasant experience! I enjoy the company of the staff. Very nice front office!

|  Awesome  |  show details
by Anonymous on May 5th, 2014 on doctor.com

I love the kindness, professionalism, how they explain things. They always take the time to put me at ease if im worried. My antiaging exp has been aw ...

|  Cosmetic Patient  |  show details
by Megan D. on May 1st, 2014 on doctor.com

I see Dr Chastains office for laser hair removal. I love the treatment results as well as the office. The girls there are so nice and I very seldom wa ...

|  nurse  |  show details
by megan on Apr 23rd, 2014

I adore Dr Joy and her office staff! The problem with these sites are that you never here about the good things that the Dr does for you, its the crazy disgruntled patients that get on her and blast the Dr. So to the person who complained about the yawning in then room, did you that her father was dying and she was driving back and forth between Athens and Columbus. Please remember that the Dr's are human as well!!! If you read this please note her father did pass away on Jan 23,2014. So, I will end this with saying, I love her office, I appreciate that never wait for 1 hr or longer like i do at the Ob office.

|  Billing experience?  |  show details
Feb 4th, 2014

Original visit was for liquid nitrogen (freezing of rough places on skin and considered cosmetic which means I pay the entire bill which I did) but they had me down for a body scan. Wrong! Went back for some places to be redone (no charge) and they mistakenly filed it with my insurance then sent me a bill for a copay. I had to tell them both times that this was cosmetic and not billed through insurance. I think the girls up front are young and inexperienced. Very frustrating to deal with. Took about a week for the office manager to call me back about the whole mess. The PA is good, she seems to take an interest in your concerns.

|  Rude staff that works for a rude doctor!  |  show details
by Patient J. on Jan 8th, 2014

Worst visit to a doctor's office ever, and I've had lots of crappy doctors in the past. Not only did I have to sit in the patient room for about an hour, when the PA came in she was very rude. She asked me to list all what was wrong. And because the list was long, she got up in the middle of my list, said with her back turned to me "I'm not a doctor" and walked out by shutting the door roughly. When Dr. Chastain finally came in there, her eyes were rolling in the back of her head and she was constantly yawning and paying attention to her yawns more than my symptoms. I told them my symptoms sounded like rosacea, so that's all they heard. They did not care to listen to anything else. She didn't look at my face actually, nor get the full list of things wrong with me... I got sent home with two ointments and a pill to take. I found out that that pill can cause high blood pressure. Something I was on tons of medicine for which I inform all my new doctors of. She never told me to make sure to be monitored on these new pills despite my medical record of having high BP. Come to find out, about 2 or 3 weeks later of using the ointments my face never got better. Turns out it was an allergic reaction, not rosacea. Maybe if she hadn't been half asleep and would have been a doctor and either listened to my list of symptoms or even examined my face she would have seen this or caught on that it wasn't actually rosacea, just something similar caused by an allergic reaction... I will not go back to her, or her office and I recommend no one else does! This doctor needs to never practice medicine and her PA needs to stop as well. Rude people, not very well medically trained either.

|  Attn: Dr. Chastain -Rude and Unconcerned Front office staff  |  show details
by Anne Finnan on Sep 26th, 2013

To Dr. Chastain: My husband and I and our three daughters as well as my parents, have all been patients of your practice for years and believed that we had chosen a health care provider that respected and valued our family as individuals. We have NEVER had any history of having a lingering balance or an incident of any of our BCBS insurance cards not being valid. Yesterday, our 25 year old daughter Hannah woke with a rash on her face and ears that was vivid and uncomfortable enough for her to cancel all of her clients for the day in order to be treated at Dr. Chastain's office. When she arrived for her appointment, she discovered at check-in that her Blue Cross Blue Shield card was missing from her wallet. Even though she told the front office staff that it was the exact same coverage and card that she had for years, asked to run next door to Dr. Baker's office who is her primary care doctor who had a very recent copy of her insurance card AND additionally got our insurance agent on the phone who could fax verification, she was told that she was not going to be seen unless she was prepared to pay full price as an uninsured patient. Hannah also informed the staff that our entire family have been patients there for years. She lost a full day's pay in order to be treated. She called back after leaving in order to complain to the office manager who listened, and responded with, "Would you like to reschedule" As someone in the healthcare industry myself and a business owner in Clarke County, I understand first hand the trials and frustrations of insurance filing and receiving payment for services rendered. I also understand set policy but this incidence was ridiculous. We have pictures of her face and it is obvious that she needed to be seen yesterday. The problem that I have with this is the fact that this was a disrespectful and unconcerned response to a long time patient. It displayed several unsavory characteristics of how your office is representing itself: 1) Your business does not value your patients as individuals who have chosen you with trust to care for their emergency situations EVEN if they have established record of never having a poor payment history. 2) Either you, your office manager or your front office staff have become so complacent and comfortable with the business that you DO have that nobody feels the need to value patients with humanity any more. 3) Apparently, you have so much business and too much going on to take a few extra minutes to verify insurance in a rare emergency incident like my daughter had yesterday. I guess it doesn't matter if you have a waiting list of patients that you can just replace currently existing patients with. Nobody has a few extra minutes to spend on someone who unexpectedly has a rare incident of a misplaced insurance card right? My question is, that was this incident simply your office staff following your or your office manager's instructions as common policy OR was this a situation of insufficient supervision? Is there no employee training enforced that address considerations and ethical awareness o patient treatment in your waiting room? My family has recommended your office for years any time we hear of someone looking for a trusted dermatologist in this area. None of us can do this any longer with a clear conscience. This incidence was a display of non-concern that was degrading and callous. You have lost our entire family's trust and future business. You may not care, with all of the patients that you might have lined up to cycle through rapidly without time or energy to spend one iota of an extra minute on. I believe that this life is about treating loyal clients with a touch of individual respect particularly when you are in a specialty business. Sincerely Disappointed, Anne Finnan anne@sesol.net

|  Rudest front desk  |  show details
Sep 25th, 2013

I will never go back to joy chastains office. I showed up at my appointment and realized I had left my insurance card for them to update. I told them my primary physician was next door and I could get them a copy a front and back copy of. They REFUSED even though my whole family has been going there for years. They said they needed the actual copy or I could pay full price for my appointment! They never offered to call my insurance company or take a faxed copy either, which I have never heard of. It was rude and uncomfortable esp taking a whole day off work for the visit.

|  AMAZING  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2012

HAD THE BEST VISIT EVER

Aug 14th, 2012

HAVE BEEN GOING TO DR. CHASTAINS OFFICE FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAD A BAD VISIT. THE OFFICE STAFF IS AMAZING AND SO IS DR. CHASTAIN

Jul 9th, 2012

I ALWAYS HAVE A WONDERFUL VISIT WHEN I GO TO DR. CHASTAINS OFFICE THE GIRLS ARE ALWAYS NICE AND HAVING A GOOD TIME

|  Best office  |  show details
Jun 17th, 2012

Had the best visit at this office. Great, fun girls and the doc has the best bed side manner. Will go over and over

May 25th, 2012

I went to Dr. Chastain with high expectations but unfortunately the visit was a total letdown. Honestly, it was the worst doctor visit I've ever had in my life. The lady at the front desk was not friendly at all, but giving her the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she was just having a bad day. The only positive to the visit was that I did not have to wait over 15 minutes before before being called back, and Dr. Chastain arrived shortly after. However, once the exam started other office workers and nurses were constantly in and out of the room and even interrupting to comment on other patients or ask questions about other issues. Dr. Chastain did not seem to take a personal interest in me as a patient, not did she seem to take my concerns seriously or even answer them properly due to all the staff interruptions. When checking out I had to wait quite a while as the lady was on the phone with another patient. I left feeling very disappointed and determined that I would immediately find another dermatologist. I have never given a negative review on a doctor or staff before so believe me, this is not the norm for me.

|  Wonderful  |  show details
May 14th, 2012

I have benn going to dr chastains office for several years never had a problem. The girls up from always are on their game, I know they multi task everyday..... the girls in the back have always got me back, and out on a timely manner...... Dr chastain has always gotten to the point gave me what I needed and has always been the nicest.... Will be the only dermatology I see

|  Smart doc  |  show details
Jun 13th, 2011

Dr chastain is very smart and in command of her field yet she does not come off as being haughty.I've also seen her PA a couple of times and was satisfied with my treatment. The staff has always been helpful and calls me with my bloodwork, biopsy results,etc... Which I like. Have referred a lot of friends and family to her office and will continue to do so.

|  wonderful  |  show details
Jun 9th, 2011

i saw dr. chastain i had a wonderful visit. i love how i was in and didnt have to wait an hour to been seen. the girls up front was nice and took me right back. dr. chastain came in advised we of what i have told me a treatment and went about her day. she didnt make me feel like i had to do the treatment(unlike her p.a.) dr. chastain had wonderful bed side manners and got straight to the point. her staff is one of the best teams i have ever seen in an office. they look the part and work wonderful together. i love how the girl have there own style hair and all, they get to be theirselfs and everytime i am in there they are laughing and having a good time that is what makes the office over all i would recommend dr. chastain any day.

Jun 9th, 2011

My visit with Dr. Chastain's office was very pleasant. By the time I walked in turned in my paperwork and sat down I was being called back. The nurse that brought me back was very sweet. She and Dr. Chastain showed great concern for my problems. I had another appointment some months later and saw her assistant who was also pleasant, but I waited a lot longer to be seen. I also felt a little pressured into her recommended treatments. I will definitely go back but to see Dr. Chastain.

|  not so professional for one who sells appearance  |  show details
May 31st, 2011

I think the office staff needs to have a more professional appearance . The tongue rings, and the customer service is lacking.

|  Long time cosmetic patient...  |  show details
May 16th, 2011

I have been seeing dr chastain every 6 months or so for Botox and chemical peels. The prices are reasonable and dr. Chastain is very pleasant. However, I can understand how some comments here are not so positive. There have been times when my wait has been over 30 min and the front office staff is not the warmest I have encountered so I can see how someone with a true medical problem may be put off by the experience. As a cosmetic procedure patient I have been very pleased with the outcome at dr. Chastains office.

Jan 26th, 2011

Had a nice visit. Dr. Chastain was very informative and knowledgable, yet also very efficient. Will recommend to others and will go back.

|  Love the doctor, hate her staff.  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2010

Overall I enjoyed Dr. Chastain. Her staff left a lot to be desired. It took forever for her office to call my husbands prescriptions over to the pharmacy. Her staff had to receive special authorization through my insurance for my treatment. They left me a message saying the procedure was authorized and to call and make my appointment. They neglected to say I needed to bring my medication with me and her tech attempted to berate me about not getting it from my mail order pharmacy. Had to inform her that not all insurance had one, mine definitely didn't. Luckily I had the message that the tech left me still on my cell phone which did not state that I needed to bring my meds with me. Dr. Chastain said they would use the meds they had on hand. I didn't realize that meant that I would pay 100% for the medication since it came from their office. Had I known I would have rescheduled and picked up the meds from my pharmacy.

Nov 4th, 2010

Can not say enough about this office. No problem getting an appointment. The wait time in wating room was very short. Everyone friendly and helpful.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Greg55 on Sep 18th, 2010

I had a very good experience from the front desk to the back office staff. This was then followed by a thorough exam by dr chastain. Found a couple of skin cancers. Am self pay so was very happy to find out that they give 40% off to self pay patients. This helps out a lot, and I will continue to go to her office for all my dermatology needs and will highly recommend my family to also do so.

Aug 28th, 2010

Dr. Chastain and her staff and very nice. I never wait over 5 min in the waiting room or in the exam room. Dr Chastain has great bed side manner and never tries to force me into something, she gives it to me straight. She wonderful and her nurses are very knowledgeable.

|  Beware  |  show details
by chamelion on Aug 9th, 2010

My husband went to this dermatologist and was prescribed some antibiotics. He was not warned about side effects or given nausea meds...consequently he spent the weekend vomiting due to the effect of the meds. When I called to get guidance from the office they put me to voice mail and finally when they called back told us to go to First Care and discontinue the meds. They could not give us new antibio. to take b.c the doc was out. Nice. Don't go here with anything serious!

|  Worst Doctor's Office I have ever been to.  |  show details
May 13th, 2010

I do not recommend Dr. Chastain's office whatsoever. The doctors spent less than 60 seconds in the room with me (I am not exaggerating). My first visit, I didn't even know that I had seen the doctor. It was not the person I made an appointment with and she was in there for all of 45 seconds. Therefore, I was not able to ask questions. My second visit, this time with the actual doctor I was meant to see, the doctor didn't spend more than one minute with me; therefore, I was also not able to ask questions. The staff is not courteous or nice. I had to wait over five minutes to even get someone to come to the front desk, and the only reason someone came is because I had to call their phone number to get someone to come up and answer it. Once she realized it was me, I did not even get an apology or even a smile. The staff in the back probably violated privacy regulations by asking me personal questions in the middle of the hallway and telling me my test results in the middle of the hallway. They also did not give me all the information I needed to get my medication (after I had to wait a month to get it), and then flat out told me that they gave me all the information and that it was my fault. I will never return to this office, and do not recommend anyone else do so either.