Dr. Juan Varon, MD
Internist, Endocrinologist
Video profile

3.0

Aug 20th, 2015

I have a complex medical history with multiple diagnoses and am on disability due to the different issues. I went in to see Dr. Varon for pre diabetes and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. My first visit I saw the nurse practitioner who was nice and listened to me as I tried my best to explain all of the different things going on with my situation. But this visit I saw the doctor for the first time, and the last time. As a life long patient with a long list of health problems I have seen a fair amount of different doctors. I have also seen many different types of patients in the waiting rooms. I know that doctors struggle with some patients who over exaggerate their problems or want to discuss every ache and pain they have. I get it. But this doctor didn't have any interest in hearing about my other medical conditions that could affect my blood sugar, like that I have gastroparesis and nerve problems in my digestive track making food digestion difficult, thus causing blood sugar trouble. While I was trying to explain what I had going on he cut me off and talked over me until I stopped talking so he could inform me that we were only going to discuss the things that were relevant to diabetes and thyroid. When he finally "allowed" me to speak and I told him about the gastroparesis he admitted that it was relevant but then proceeded to argue about there being a cure for it with the implantable pacemaker (um, is that even covered by medicare? On top of that I have a rare headache disorder that is affected by the trigeminal and vagus nerve which probably wouldn't even make me a candidate for that procedure. I didn't have a chance to explain that because he was not at all interested in hearing about my other issues). On top of all this....this was my first visit with him. And he pulled up my weight information and said "Let's see how much weight you have lost". And then upon realizing I haven't lost any weight he looks at me and commented on no loss and then condescendingly told me that managing diabetes is about weight loss and exercise. Um....I was in this office 1 other time and no one put me on any special diet or told me to see a nutritionist or referred me to a physical therapist who could work with my other health problems so that I could get exercise. Why would I come to this appointment 3 months later and have lost weight? I had no idea there was an expectation that I would have lost weight. My metformin was increased but still. The appointment went downhill from here as I realized that any doctor specializing in diabetes and thyroid problems that approaches the subject of weight loss this way, with this level of ignorance and insensitivity, was never going to be a doctor I could continue to go to. Doctors like this, ones that won't even listen to a patients background and challenges, ones that don't realize that the medical field is only just starting to break the surface of understanding of the obesity problems, are a disgrace to medicine. Don't waste your time with this doctor if you have complex health issues because he isn't interested in understanding your big picture. And if you are the type of patient who advocates for themselves and appreciates doctors who will listen and try to be aware of your whole medical history this is definitely not the doctor you want in your corner.

diabetic show details diabetic
by Madelin Rodriguez on Aug 17th, 2015

It was wonderful my visit

not sayisfy show details not sayisfy
Apr 19th, 2015

Im hispanic. And i dont like this doctor. I stood with him for 2 min and that was it. I told him to checked my neck to do things and nothing. Me as a new patient i believe he was supposed to send me to get a ultrasound or something and nothing was done. I decide to go with another doctor.

he's rude show details he's rude
May 22nd, 2014

the way he spoke to us on every appt. was very frustrating. my husband is diabetic, and he got him in a new pump, he never got the right training and the doc talked to him like he was stupid! he's English is bad, and his attitude worse. we hated every appt because of the intense of his attitude!

Bad Attitude show details Bad Attitude
by Dell Meyers on Jan 11th, 2014

Dr. Varon, shows indifference to patients that are not hispanic, and so does his ill mannered office staff, if you dont speak spanish...dont go to this office for any medical reason....HISPANIC they make you feel like CRAP....this is the first doctor, I have ever seen. greet a patient with a frown on his face, and a bad attitude

Very Satisfied! show details Very Satisfied!
by Oquendo S. on Mar 19th, 2013

Dr. Varon is very professional and polite...he is great at talking through the biopsy and exams and putting you at ease making you feel relax and if I had to wait I would because its worth the wait...after reading some of his negative reviews I can definitely say I DO NOT agree with them and would recommend his service and staff without hesitation.

Pretty bad staff; Will never go back again show details Pretty bad staff; Will never go back again
Oct 30th, 2012

The "lady" who does the schedule, "Jessy", has very bad manners, She cancel my appointment without reason and did not notify me. She treated me like trash when I as her why she did it. I want to let Dr. Varon know that this "lady" is destroying his bussiness. I do think that Dr. Varon is an Excellent physician but i will never ever will be back to his office

Apr 24th, 2012

Lamentablemente mi experiencia con el Dr. Varon ha sido muy negativa. Por ua diferencia de cinco minutos en mi cita que tenia previamente se nego atenderme cuando en realidaad era para informarme del resultado de una biobcia que ya me habia realizado es un momento difisil y muy importante para mi, me informa atravez de su personal que regrese otro dia el Dr. Varon carece de profecionalismo sencivilidad y trato a sus pacientes. Mi recomendacion para el es Negativa les recomiendo a todos que antes de ver al Dr. Varon busquen otro Dr. con mas Vocacion' Apesar de ests penosa situacion con el Dr. su personal ha sido muy atento en todo momento.