Dr. Judith Mcbean MD Patient Reviews

• Obstetrics and Gynecology Brattleboro, VT

• Good
  • Bad

January 28th, 2015
Couldn't ask for a better doctor

February 25th, 2014
Rude, arrogant, entitled
I had multiple visits with this provider. Options are limited in small towns. I waited six weeks after being referred. My records were misplaced in the office. I had to return for a second visit because they couldn't locate the chart they made and was charged for both visits ($500 by the end of it even though they should have taken responsibility for the second visit). I felt like my views of my own body and health were ignored and mocked as ignorant. Dr. McBean behaved as though she had rights to perform procedures without my consent. When I voiced my opinion it was argued away with words and phrases about 'research' ignoring my personal history and preference for my own body. Her skill set did not include current training in minimally invasive procedures. When I inquired about this approach, she stated it wasn't possible. Thank goodness I didn't take her word at this. I found a provider who was skilled in minimally invasive surgery. Instead of a 6-8 inch incision from navel to pelvis, I have four teeny incision sites. Be a conscientious healthcare consumer. Not all providers are created equal.

April 25th, 2013
An outstanding doctor
I have a significant disability and I see Dr. McBean for regular annual examinations. She and her staff are extremely accommodating and very respectful. If further proedures are necessary they make every effort to do them in the same visit. Dr. McBean always takes the time to thoroughly discuss issues and educate about potential solutions. Her advice is clearly informed by the latest research but she takes a prudent approach to unnecessarily ramping up medications or interventions. I travel a considerable distance to see her because the experience is so good.

August 21st, 2012
she was the best in brattleboro vermont and her staff that works there are also

August 9th, 2012
Dr. McBean is smart, caring and attuned to treating the whole patient. She puts you at ease immediately and listens to what you have to say. Unusual in doctors these days, unfortunately.

December 6th, 2011
Thank you Dr McBean!
My daughter had terrible menstral periods. I understood, because I had them to as a young girl. When I was a young girl, my parents brought me to the doctor only for him to say "When she gets married it should be resolved".I suffered needlessly, the pain was terrible and I use to pass out they were so bad.I told this to my daughters pediatrician and she referred me to Dr Mc Bean. She was amazing, and made my daughter feel at ease. The prescription she prescribed worked miracles, and now the doctor is helping us with the insurance company to get it covered as BCBS of MA will not cover birth control. I can not say enough about her, she knows her stuff, and is smart, warm and will do everything she can to help you.

May 15th, 2011
Unprofessional, benign arrogance
I saw Dr McBean a number of times after an initial appt with one of the on staff midwives examined me, and found what I suspected was a fibroid tumor. A few weeks later I was scheduled for a myomectomy surgery. To my knowledge the surgery went well and I spent time on the couch convalescing. My husband later told me that post-surgically, the Dr came to him and was unable to report if I was fine or not. All he was hoping for was a "the surgery went fine and she's resting". But the conversation was vague and disheartening. In the end, he was able to determine that everything was okay, but he claimed it was like pulling teeth to get info from her. In the meantime, we had been trying to conceive for a couple years with no luck, and at 43 time was of the essence. After many failed attempts, I had another appointment with the Dr for an annual exam and to follow up on my post surgical status. Alas, I began menstruating a couple days early. Dr McBean declined to examine me and seemed to be rushing me through the appointment, during which she told me I should basically give up trying to conceive and forget IVF because "after 43-44 we really don't like to do it," but if I were to get pregnant I'd have to "have a C-section because there's a risk of rupture" because of the myomectomy scar tissue. That didn't smell right to me, but what bothered me more was her (perhaps unwittingly) condescending demeanor. I mentioned casually that perhaps having acupuncture might help my chances of conception and she rolled her eyes. Knowing people for whom this has worked (however coincidently), I was frankly baffled at her arrogance, particularly since most fertility centers provide integrated therapy/medicine these days. She then told me (as if I didn't have a clue) that adoption can be very expensive. At this point I'm deflated and angry, but it gets worse. She tells me the receptionist needs to speak with me on my way out. The receptionist informs me that I have an outstanding bill from the surgery two(!) years ago. Turns out, they screwed up my paperwork and didn't have accurate information on my insurance. I faxed them the paperwork showing that not only did my insurance cover the surgery, but actually payed in excess of the bill! I also had to contact them to make sure they got the information; no confirmation call. Okay, now I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. Having recently read an encouraging article by a prominent fertility specialist regarding age and other contraindications in late pregnancies, I am hesitant to refer Dr McBean to others, and I will not be rescheduling with her.

June 24th, 2010
Dr. McBean made it possible for us to conceive 2 of my 3 girls (one was a complete suprise!) I first went to her when my other doctor couldn't diagnose my problem. Dr. McBean was able to confirm my suspisions after 2 appts. I have stage 5 Endometriosis. I love everyone in this office - they have the most professional, caring staff. I have never had a bad experience. I love going to this office.

April 19th, 2010
Good but not enough
I was just another appointment and that is what it felt like....It wasn't a good experience. Like it isn't stressful enough trying to conceive and then working with this office made it feel even more challenging.

January 3rd, 2017