Dr. Julia Mikell MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

August 2nd, 2013
Narcolepsy and Patient neglect.
After my Neurologist (for 7 years) retired from practicing medicine, he referred me to another Neurologist with"Savannah Neurology". I was to be seen by her two months after seeing my retirring physician. I had been on a medication named Xyrem, in which it is so controlled it can only be shipped from one location in the U.S. (more details please go to xyrem.com.). Shortly after the retirement of my Neurologist/sleep specialist, the address where my controlled medication were being mailed from was totally different then where the Xyrem Success Program Pharmacy address had been being mailed from for the previous 7 plus years, and not anyone from Savannah Neurology would verify if this address was correct or not. Requirements for a Neurologist to prescribe this certain rare type of medication, have to be a sleep specialist as well as more stringent requirements. Sending in documentation as how the patient is doing on the medication as well as faxing in the prescription for the medication to the only Pharmacy in the U.S. It is is a requirement, for the patient to be seen for follow up, every three months. Needing support with this very rare controlled medication, which had the incorrect address , on the bottle where it was being mailed from and I also suspected diversion and or the liquid medication being tampered with, the drug that I had been taking for over 7 years developed a strong odor of clorox and was very thin in consistency than had been in the past 7 years. At times the medication even smelled of alcohol and was not sealed . Fedex delivery services forged my name when they delivered this drug and three times just left it at my door steps, which very strict guidelines are for the patient to sign for, and then the Xyrem Success Program verifies and matches your name to your signature. The Xyrem medication is delivered once a month and if for some reason the patient is not available to sign for this medication it is to go back directly to the Xyrem Success Program Pharmacy. Over night delivery is only allowed, in which on several occasions, to my surprise it took two to three days to arrive, and without Fedex even receiving my signature, only leaving it at my door, this problem only started occurring after my Neurologist/ sleep specialist retired. For the first time in over 7 years of being on this controlled substance, there had NEVER been a problem with delivery, signing for this medication, follow up with Dr. and support with the medication. since it is also considered a very highly sault after street drug ( GHB) And is only FDA approved after being diagnosed after a series of studies and tests , for narcolepsy and cataplexy, Which is a very rare dehabilitating condition. Xyrem was a miracle drug for me before illegal activities started to occur. After receiving six reschedule appointments letters , every month or two from Dr. mikells stating that their was a conflict in her schedule, and other excuses for her having to reschedule it became very confusing to when exactly my appointment was. over a 15 month period of time Dr. Mikell continued to prescribe this very stringent controlled medication, without ever seeing or speaking to me. I called on numerous occasions requesting to speak with Dr. Mikell, which I was told I was only allowed to speak with two certain office people regarding Xyrem Medication. During this 15 month period in time I had never laid eyes on Dr. Mikell or even got a return phone call. I even went to Savannah Neurology in hopes to speak with someone, regarding the rescheduling letters that I had been receiving from Dr. mikell. Again, I was only allowed to speak with the same two office staff members and was refused to speak with Dr. mikell regarding that I needed an appointment with her concerning my suspicions of this strict controlled medication, not being mailed from the proper Xyrem Success Program Pharmacy, which had the incorrect address on the bottle stating it was being mailed from, Express Scripts, Specialty Distribution Services, Inc. 8931 Springdale Avenue., Suite A St. Louis MO 63134. This is NOT the correct address that Xyrem Success program mails this stringent controlled medication from. The office staff would not confirm the correct address which was stated on the bottle, nor did they express any concerns for suspicions of the liquid being a different taste, different odor, as well as not being effective. Shortly right before my appointment with Dr. Mikell I received a letter stating she could no longer be my Doctor because I had missed one appointment, in which my appointment was not until a week later. My husband, who is also a physician left a message for Dr. Mikell to return his phone call In hopes that the confusion of all Mrs. Mikells rescheduling appointments could be resolved and hopefully I could receive support on the medication she had been prescribing me for over 15 months, without ever seeing me, could be resolved. Dr. Mikells returned my husbands' telephone call, and during the first minute or two of the conversation she was very apologetic, as she stated she had been very busy and would be glad to see me as a patient and stated their must have been miscommunication between her and her staff. She inquired how was I doing on the medication. As my husband politely expressed his concerns regarding the strange odor of the medication and my concerns over the strange taste, and having Xyrem being delivered with forged signatures and three times with no signature, left at my door, and not being sealed, Dr. Mikells, in a very loud voice screamed over the telephone that She would not see me as a patient and slammed the phone down. As I previously read a post, on this website regarding her hostile behaviors I can empathize with the patient and her husband, and Dr. Mikell lack for concern and not taking responsibility is very evident from the short interaction that my husband experienced, over the telephone with Dr. mikell, as well as her failure for never following up with me personally. For obvious malpractice issues regarding Dr. Mikell I am very doubtful this will get posted and or remain posted. I indeed have to mention that the neurologist/sleep specialist that who retired was the best physician that I have ever been to and was spot on with his diagnoses and support. He was a very special Doctor who geniunely cared and advocated for his patients. It is very sad that I have not been able to locate a sleep specialist who has not even been close to his expertise, kindness and wisdom! Thank you Dr. S, you are special!

May 10th, 2011
Finally - someone figured out what was wrong with me!
After being treated by several doctors to figure out tremendous pain I was experiencing, Dr. Mikell asked me a series or questions and really listened to my answers. Within one hour and a couple of tests, we had a diagnosis and plan of treatment.She changed my quality of life! I am most thankful for her and her willingness to not give up on me!

November 10th, 2010
Review
Great doctor to diagnose & treat issues. Staff could use some work. They tend to not return phone calls/messages left on their voice mail. Almost impossible to call in and speak to a person.

July 10th, 2009
Highly Recommend
Having any type of condition that requires this type of specialist is a scary experience, yet Dr. Mikell was warm, reasurring, and generally made the situation so much better. Not to mention that she correctly diagnosed a condition that was previously misdiagnosed.