Dr. Julie Pena MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

May 31st, 2017
Referred
I was referred To Dr Pena and was grateful for that. She removed skin cancer with ease and no pain. At the time i had a toothache, it's next. No pain what so ever from surgery and her assistants were very professional also. I would highly recommend Dr Pena for sure........

May 23rd, 2017
Love Love Love
I've tried everything to get my skin cleared up. Been to most doctors in Middle Tennessee. Skin Solutions has the best doctors and PAs! They listen and work with you to get the results you want!

May 22nd, 2017
Do not go here for Mohs Surgery
I wish I read this site and others about Dr. Pena's lack of training in Mohs surgery. She never did a fellowship and it's obvious. I went to another Mohs surgeon for my next issue and the difference in quality of care and surgical technique is vast. I've now left Dr. Pena and visit another fellowship trained Mohs surgeon in Nashville. To quote Dr. Pena from below: "In addition to Dr. Pena's Dermatology residency, she completed a Pathology residency. These eight years of training after her medical school graduation gave her the same skill set that a one year MOHs fellowship receives." If it's the same thing, then why would they call it different things? Pathology does NOT equal a Mohs fellowship, as is obvious on my face. :(

February 13th, 2017
Don't waste your time elsewhere. Hands down the most well trained and smartest dermatologist in middle Tennessee. I went for medical and cosmetic procedures. I am impressed and will be sending everyone I know here

February 8th, 2017
Rash is gone!
Thank you so much for helping me!!!

January 18th, 2017
GREAT DOCTOR

August 15th, 2016
Im so grateful for Dr.Pena
I am so happy I went with Dr.Pena. I have been struggling for a entire year. I have had 3 biopsies, hospitalized, been to ER monthly, been on several antibiotics, ointments, vitamins, changed my diet, tried several anti-depressants. It kept me locked up in my home not enjoying my family. I became extremely depressed because my once clear skin had become full of lesions that swelled my whole face. My children were terrified of me. I had several "answers" to my problem. Each time leaving feeling hopeful. I was told I had herpes and had to take Valtrex, that made me horribly sick but I continued because I wanted a resolution so bad. Then I was told I may have Lupus, and MRSA. So needless to say for a year I was a wreck. I didn't wait long, her staff was amazing, I felt no pressure to buy products. But-after 2 days of using her skin care Likewise.. My face looked AMAZING!!!! Thank you Dr. Pena!!

May 25th, 2016
Excellent group!
Was referred to Dr. Pena and her group and am so glad that I followed thru on referral. From the minute I walked in until the time I left, the appointment was effortless and informative. Entire staff performed as a well organized and friendly group. I work for doctor's myself and was very impressed with everything in this office.

April 7th, 2016
Horrible experience. Literally the doctor was in and out in 2 minutes.
Doctor's Response

We are sorry for your experience. We welcome your input. Please contact us and ask for our Director of Patient Happiness. We want to ensure that you have received the care you need with us or somewhere else. Moreover, we want to continually help our providers understand their shortcomings as they begin each day trying to do the best they can for their patients.

December 6th, 2015
Weird interactions
Staff looks miserable and this is the weirdest bedside manner Doctor ever.
Doctor's Response

Our staff constantly and openly expresses their enthusiasm to our management team. We did have one belligerent employee who was relieved of her position on Friday, December 4th, 2015. While her bedside manner may be weird to you, most of our patients enjoy her direct, educational, and easy to understand interactions.

September 24th, 2015
Avoid unless you want to wait 1 hour for a 90 second visit with a Nurse Practioner
Please avoid. They will try to pawn you off to a PA or NP instead of the doctor. The PA/NP are doing a lot of very intense procedures they are not trained to do. If you are unlucky enough to get Dr. Pena, she will spend about 90 seconds in the room with you. Staff looks terribly unhappy working there.
Doctor's Response

We firmly believe everyone deserves easy, equal access to dermatological care. Rather than have patients wait weeks to be seen, we have a extensively trained team of PAs and NPs who function at very high level. After undergoing our intense training process, they remain under the direct supervision of Dr. Pena and are in constant communication with her. It does not matter if you see a PA, a Doctor, or a NP. Our team works together to provide the best quality care to previously under-served areas and we love doing it!

June 22nd, 2015
Bring that Wallet!!!
Charged $474 for office visit and follow up. Both times waited 1 hr 10 minutes each time. She was in room approx. 5 minutes each time. Prescribed her products for prevention and treatment. One dark spot was close to my eye and she used no covering for my eye when treated. Too busy to explain procedure. Eye swelled for over 2 weeks. The treated spot bled several times and left a huge scab, that finally fell off after 3 weeks. Dark spots returned in 6 weeks. What a waste of money and time!!!
Doctor's Response

We are sorry that we disappointed you and are now offering patient surveys to critique us on wait times the very day of their appointment. This way, we can solve what causes some days to have longer waits than most. Typically dark spots are difficult to treat and require ongoing work. We are pleased that they disappeared completely for 6 weeks and would love to continue working with you on this issue.