Dr. Julie Pena MD Patient Reviews

February 13th, 2017
Don't waste your time elsewhere. Hands down the most well trained and smartest dermatologist in middle Tennessee. I went for medical and cosmetic procedures. I am impressed and will be sending everyone I know here

February 8th, 2017
Rash is gone!
Thank you so much for helping me!!!

August 15th, 2016
Im so grateful for Dr.Pena
I am so happy I went with Dr.Pena. I have been struggling for a entire year. I have had 3 biopsies, hospitalized, been to ER monthly, been on several antibiotics, ointments, vitamins, changed my diet, tried several anti-depressants. It kept me locked up in my home not enjoying my family. I became extremely depressed because my once clear skin had become full of lesions that swelled my whole face. My children were terrified of me. I had several "answers" to my problem. Each time leaving feeling hopeful. I was told I had herpes and had to take Valtrex, that made me horribly sick but I continued because I wanted a resolution so bad. Then I was told I may have Lupus, and MRSA. So needless to say for a year I was a wreck. I didn't wait long, her staff was amazing, I felt no pressure to buy products. But-after 2 days of using her skin care Likewise.. My face looked AMAZING!!!! Thank you Dr. Pena!!

May 25th, 2016
Excellent group!
Was referred to Dr. Pena and her group and am so glad that I followed thru on referral. From the minute I walked in until the time I left, the appointment was effortless and informative. Entire staff performed as a well organized and friendly group. I work for doctor's myself and was very impressed with everything in this office.

April 6th, 2016
Horrible experience. Literally the doctor was in and out in 2 minutes.
Doctor's Response

We are sorry for your experience. We welcome your input. Please contact us and ask for our Director of Patient Happiness. We want to ensure that you have received the care you need with us or somewhere else. Moreover, we want to continually help our providers understand their shortcomings as they begin each day trying to do the best they can for their patients.

April 5th, 2016
Not a real MOHs Surgeon, a true Capitalist!
Please do not go here for any MOHs surgery. Dr. Pena is not trained in the MOHs procedure and she uses a Physician Assistant to close the surgeries she opens. This is just a way to make more money: 1) she does MOHs, which pays her what a FELLOWSHIP trained MOHs surgeon should be making, 2) by using a Physician Assistant she gets to charge a second provider doing the service. Trust me, I got the bill and asked my insurance company why I was paying so much. Go to a fellowship trained surgeon.
Doctor's Response

Your statement about CHARGES regarding a second provider is inaccurate. Somehow information has been misconstrued, leading to your false accusation. Please contact us directly for clarification. In addition to Dr. Pena's Dermatology residency, she completed a Pathology residency. These eight years of training after her medical school graduation gave her the same skill set that a one year MOHs fellowship receives. She has been performing MOHs surgery at Skin Solutions for sixteen years. Physician Assistants play an integral role in our practice. We want everyone to know before coming to Skin Solutions that a Physician Assistant will play a role in your healthcare. These are highly trained individuals who are cherished by many patients. We would appreciate you contacting us directly if you have a specific issue with any of our staff. This allows us to improve our services offered more aptly. If finances are an issue for you, we ask you to take the time to investigate the cost of MOHs surgery at other practices or medical institutions. You may find that the cost of having MOHs surgery at Skin Solutions is less than some others.

December 6th, 2015
Weird interactions
Staff looks miserable and this is the weirdest bedside manner Doctor ever.
Doctor's Response

Our staff constantly and openly expresses their enthusiasm to our management team. We did have one belligerent employee who was relieved of her position on Friday, December 4th, 2015. While her bedside manner may be weird to you, most of our patients enjoy her direct, educational, and easy to understand interactions.

September 24th, 2015
Avoid unless you want to wait 1 hour for a 90 second visit with a Nurse Practioner
Please avoid. They will try to pawn you off to a PA or NP instead of the doctor. The PA/NP are doing a lot of very intense procedures they are not trained to do. If you are unlucky enough to get Dr. Pena, she will spend about 90 seconds in the room with you. Staff looks terribly unhappy working there.
Doctor's Response

We firmly believe everyone deserves easy, equal access to dermatological care. Rather than have patients wait weeks to be seen, we have a extensively trained team of PAs and NPs who function at very high level. After undergoing our intense training process, they remain under the direct supervision of Dr. Pena and are in constant communication with her. It does not matter if you see a PA, a Doctor, or a NP. Our team works together to provide the best quality care to previously under-served areas and we love doing it!

June 22nd, 2015
Bring that Wallet!!!
Charged $474 for office visit and follow up. Both times waited 1 hr 10 minutes each time. She was in room approx. 5 minutes each time. Prescribed her products for prevention and treatment. One dark spot was close to my eye and she used no covering for my eye when treated. Too busy to explain procedure. Eye swelled for over 2 weeks. The treated spot bled several times and left a huge scab, that finally fell off after 3 weeks. Dark spots returned in 6 weeks. What a waste of money and time!!!
Doctor's Response

We are sorry that we disappointed you and are now offering patient surveys to critique us on wait times the very day of their appointment. This way, we can solve what causes some days to have longer waits than most. Typically dark spots are difficult to treat and require ongoing work. We are pleased that they disappeared completely for 6 weeks and would love to continue working with you on this issue.

April 6th, 2015
Great doctor and surgeon.

March 12th, 2015
Great if you want a facial
I have a history of skin cancer, she wanted to sell stuff
Doctor's Response

I evaluate every patients' skin history, prescribe any necessary medications, and develop a personalized skincare regimen for each patient. I carefully researched each product in my office to ensure it is the best on the market. Everything I recommend is based off of your skin and what I believe is best for it. Remember, it is only a recommendation and not a sales pitch. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear skin cancer is the need for a zinc-based sunscreen.

February 10th, 2015
INSURANCE FRAUD
INSURANCE FRAUD This "doctor" was trying to charge every single patient a $100 co-pay even though that is not what their real co-pay is INSURANCE FRAUD they said it was required by eveybody's insurance to collect it to meet their deductable which is untrue. I work for a health insirance company and will report this. INSURANCE FRAUD