Psychiatrist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.0

Some ratings provided by Doctor.com.
 |  Instructions not clear  |  show details
Sep 6th, 2014

I saw Dr Artin several times over a 3 yr period. The first consultation with him was good. When I returned for a short medication consult, I felt like he did not really remember my information. He seemed distracted and did not listen. He rapidly gave me instructions on how to taper off medication. I left feeling not sure of the instructions. He is a warm person but my instincts tell me that he is too much impressed with himself .My opinion is that making money and womanizing gets in the way of time spent on an accurate diagnosis .

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
by Patient on Mar 20th, 2014

I read the reviews before visiting with Dr. Artin. I was a little weary at first, but after our appointment I was relieved. He was wonderful. He listened and took meticulous notes. Discussed my feelings, thoughts and questions with me. And, I loved his dog, he made me feel comfortable. Dr. Artin is a "real" person and I'm happy to have been referred to him to help me.

|  UNCOMFORATABLE AND UNPROFESSIONAL  |  show details
May 29th, 2013

Stay clear of this Dr, he is only after the insurance money and does not care about his patients and also makes you feel uncomfortable. He seems perverted!

Apr 3rd, 2013

Often cut off the appointment quickly to try to schedule the next. Insurance required authorization from the doctor, which the doctor requested of me another appoint to fill out a 1 page form. Long waits 30 minutes post appointed time.

Apr 1st, 2013

I've been seeing this doctor for major depressive disorder, and he has been great for me. Don't listen to the negative reviews, most of them seem to be coming from people who are upset because he didn't give them the drugs they wanted...

Dec 2nd, 2012

I have been defintively diagnosed with the "suicide disease" Trigeminal Neuralgia. In additon to the Trigeminal nerualgia I have neuralgias of the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 11th nerves bilaterally. My neuralgias are also the type 2 variant (continous pain versus episodic pain).I was using up to 270 mg of Methadone/day to control the pain. When I decided that opiates were not a long term solution and the side effects became overwhelming I tapered off and quit without any intervention and assistance.I then became anxious and depressed which is a common and expected side effect of detoxification. I voluntarily had myself admitted to the hospital and met Dr. Artin. He seemed caring and concerned but his diagnosis and treatment completely missed the mark. He subjected me to 17 electroconvulsive shock therapies, prescribed powerful meds, told me I'd be on antidepressants the rest of my life, and if he had his way, he'd be repeating the ECTs monthly indefinately.He did his best to convince me my problems with pain were psychological in nature. He ignored the post operative reports/diagnosis of Dr. Peter Jannetta (the worlds pioneer in the gold standard treatment for trigeminal neuralgia) who preformed a microvascular decompression (brain surgery) and noted several problems that could more than account for the pain I experience. In additon he ignored the post operative reports/diagnosis of Dr. Aaron Filler (a pioneer in the use of MRI technology to identify abnormalities of the peripheral nerves) and Dr. Ake Nystrom. These doctors are the preeminent experts in their respective fields.He informed my disability provider that my pain was "subjective" and seemed to be doing his best to sabotoge me with my disabilty insurance provider.After leaving Dr. Artin's "care" I sought out another doctor who, after hearing my history, summarized it with "sound's to me like your between a rock and a hard place". We discontinued all of the meds that Dr. Artin had prescribed and I have been med free (with the exception of a few trials with meds to see if they'd help with the pain but nothing short of opiates are effective for me) for the past 8 plus years and coping reasonably/remarkably well for one with so many problems with the cranial nerves.I also sought help from several psychologists with expertise in chronic pain (including an MMPI evaluation) and the concensus was that I'm pretty well adjusted for one experiencing the levels of pain that I do. No significant issues save the chronic, severe, unrelenting pain.I would never subject myself or anyone I care about to Dr. Artin's treatment Read more: http://www.vitals.com/doctor/profile/1285876813/reviews/1285876813#ixzz2DvRp9ra6

Nov 13th, 2012

I have been a patient for 4 years. I was not recommended to him by anyone but selected him myself based on his experience. Initially, I had a few little tiffs with him about wait time, etc. But we explained each other and gained mutual respect from one another. (Incidentally, the wait time issue has definitely resolved since they have been in their new offices). I completely trust him; he is funny, intelligent, kind, and has an aura of wellness about him that makes me feel all will be OK. It is true, that unless you tell the appointment desk ahead of time that you wish to be able to talk to him at length, you will get a short visit and a medication checkup. But, if you let them know, they will give you a longer time slot. I also do not feel he is quick to prescribe meds, nor is he willing to prescribe combinations that he feel will be harmful or addictive. I also like his dog - who does sit in the chair in his office, and he is very clean, AND, if you look at the website, it indicates that "Dr. Fluffy" is also generally present, so if you do not like dogs or are allergic to them, don't go!!Overall, I think Dr. Artin is very smart, has an open mind, good education, and an impressive life experience, all of which have enabled him to give me valuable advice over the years. And for a psychiatrist, he pays more attention to, and spends more time with his patients than any of the other psychiatrists I have seen in the last 20 years.[And for the patient who claimed that he wanted to know all about her sex life, I find that quite hard to believe. My experience was that I had some complaints regarding that issue as a side-effect from my antidepressant some years back (common side-effect of antidepressants), and his questions were brief and to the point, and directed at finding a solution. So, for others, I would take that individual's comment with a grain of salt, and consider that it might have been one's perception, rather than fact.]I have also never ever written a commentary about any dr before, but when I saw the negative comments people had put up about Dr. Artin, I had to respond to share my positive experiences...although again...we had a little time period of getting to know one another, and learn not to be prickly. But I am glad I stayed!!

|  Rude, Insensitive Dr.  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2012

I called Dr. Artin because I have a severe anxiety disorder, and another Dr. had been prescribing me to high a dose of benzos. I called Dr. Artin because I wanted to taper off.Keep in mind when you read this, I was really anxious, and scared when I called his office. You could hear it in my office. I was on the verge of tears because I couldn't find anyone to help me.His office assistant, who was very nice, told the Dr. how many mg. I was on a day, and he told her to tell me to go to a hospital. I had already explained to her that I couldn't afford to go to an inpatient facility and she made him aware of that. (they wanted $15,000 and my wife and I are already having financial difficulties)I asked her to clarify what he meant by hospital, and she came back and said "...he said so they can put you in inpatient care." I said I can't afford that, and that was why I was calling in the first place. She said she would have him call me.At 5:56 p.m. on Friday he called me. I picked up the phone, and said, "Hello?" not knowing who was calling.The voice on the other end replied in a very rude, irritated voice, "This is Dr. Artin, how can I help you?!" I replied, "Dr Artin, thank you so much for calling." I then started to explain how another Dr. had kept increasing my dose of alprazolam, that I had been on it for two years, needed to get off..." Dr. Artin cut me off in the middle of my sentence, and curtly replied, "Normally, I would send you to the hospital, but I understand you can't afford it, so here's what I'll do, start you off on 50 mg of librium, then 40, then 30, then 20 and your done if this is acceptable to you we can start next week!."Confused I asked, "Is that per day?" He retorted, "No! that's per week!" I then asked, "What's librium?" Trying to rush me off the phone, he replied, "It's like xanax!"He then said, "So, do you want to do this or not?!"Feeling like I had no other option, I replied, "Okay, I'll come in."We said our goodbyes and he hung up.To be fair, he did call me back at almost 6:00 p.m. on a Friday night; but to be honest, I almost wished he hadn'tThe way he interrupted me, talked to me like I was some person buying pills from some dealer on a street corner, and left me with more questions than answers, all made me more upset and anxious.I went to urgent care on Sunday to talk to a good Dr. I know there, and he told me to look up the ratings on this Dr. He said, it doesn't sound good already, and if the ratings are bad then cancel.Thank God I read these reviews. I'm cancelling my appointment. I already have a severe anxiety disorder that I've struggled with all my life. All I need is for some Dr. to make me more anxious, and feel worse about myself than I already do.The clincher was when I read the story about the person who had nerve pain, and how Dr. Artin misdiagnosed him, and started electro-shock therapy on him, and put him on the wrong medications.Plus, $300.00 a visit is outrageous.

|  Steer Clear Of This Doctor!  |  show details
Feb 6th, 2012

I went to this Doctor to obtain help with managing my Meds for ADHD. The Doc asked a lot of questions as is expected for a first time visit. However, he did not listen to anything that I said. He dismissed what I attempted to say ( as he was not listening), and he was more interested in my sex life than he was in finding out why I chose to visit him.Also, he had a Dog in the room with him. Unprofessional, as far as I am concerned. People have allergies. My ADHD symptoms were controlled for 12 years with a particular medication. I was just having a problem with a generic and sought help re medication options. I thought that this was the responsible thing to do.How I regret going to him. If it were not for a previous Psychiatrist - this one would make me lose faith in them altogether!Just sharing.

|  Cut and Dry  |  show details
Dec 27th, 2011

Dr Artin is usually available for same-day appointments. Wait times vary (as they do with all private practice doctors). The staff is polite, but always busy. My diagnosis was based on a previous doctor. I basically brought my problems and medication to Dr Artin from a prior source. Dr Artin's bedside manner is just what you would expect from a male doctor treating adult patients. He can be dry, but he remembers everything we talk about. Dr Artin also makes it a point to remind me that he is always there for me and will make himself available as often as I like. I am currently seeing him every 6 months to 1 year to get refills of my medication. If you're looking for someone to hold your hand, Dr Artin may not be the doctor for you. If you're looking for someone to listen to what you have to say and give you honest, concrete advice, look no further. Dr Artin has talked me off of the ledge once or twice in the 4 years that I've been with him. No one wants to deal with their own problems. Everyone wants to be perfect. Dr Artin makes it easier to live life how it was intended.

Apr 14th, 2011

My overall experience with Dr. Artin was disappointing. I thought he was insensitive and/or preoccupied. At times I felt he wasn't even paying attention. My diagnosis turned out not to be accurate. He might be able to help some patients, however he wasn't helpful to me.

|  He wants you to make appointment for everything at $300 a visit.  |  show details
Feb 8th, 2011

Would not go back.

|  Dr Artin and his treatment of me  |  show details
Feb 5th, 2011

|  Bad Experience  |  show details
by Anonymous on Jan 11th, 2011 on doctorsdig.com

We waited 40 minutes after our appointment time. When the doctor finally saw us, he said he had an appointment in ten minutes and asked if we could & ...

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
 |  Excellent Doctor!  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2010

I am so glad I found Dr. Artin!He is warm, caring and really pays attention to what you tell him.He is the first doctor to find a medication for me that actually works.I can't recommend him highly enough.