Kan Yu, MD, PHD

3303 S Lindsay Rd
Ste 118
Gilbert, AZ 85297
480-899-2212
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by Kudzu.
 |  Excellent Care  |  show details
by Patricia Lynn on Jun 3rd, 2014

I have been under Dr Kan Yu's care for three years now, and have never had a negative experience with him or his office staff. He listens, never rushes me through an appointment, and is thorough at each visit and with follow up. He is also very approachable and always makes me feel comfortable.

by Shelley Balough on May 6th, 2014

I owe a world of thanks for saving my husband’s life. Deril was hospitalized after passing out and falling down. We had no idea that he had any neurological problems until a very excited Dr. Kan Yu came into Deril’s hospital room waving a copy of an MRI test, declaring that he had Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. He wanted to know why we hadn’t taken care of this since MRI’s taken 6 months prior showed what Dr. Yu knew: that Deril had shown signs for many months of too much spinal fluid on his brain. Dr. Yu referred Deril to a neurosurgeon, Dr. Niteen Andalkar (another amazing doctor). Within months, Deril had brain surgery to drain the excess fluid. For months Deril had suffered short term memory loss, excessive fatigue, difficulty walking and incontinence. Immediately upon being wheeled out of surgery, Deril was the husband I’d always known him to be. He was smiling, making jokes, coherent. My heart was full of relief and thanks to Dr. Yu. Dr. Yu saved Deril’s life, perhaps by accident, perhaps by fate, but I will always be grateful to him. His treatment of Deril since the surgery has been superior and always with Deril’s best interests in mind. He’s one of the good guys. To say that I would recommend him is an understatement. He is a part of our personal history and will never forget him. Thank you, Dr. Yu, and your wonderful staff. Sincerely, Shelley Balough

|  Phenomenal Dr. Yu!  |  show details
by Katy R. on May 6th, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Yu's for nearly four years. After having two seizures at home, my family called for an ambulance. This led to a trip to the hospital and an initial treatment by an on-call doctor named Kan Yu! It was a blessing that Dr. Yu was the doctor on my case. Dr. Can Do should be his nickname! Dr. Yu was very thorough with the tests he ordered and through them we discovered I have MS. Dr. Yu has been treating me since for the seizures and MS. In this time, I have come to know him as an exceptional doctor. He genuinely cares about his patients and does everything he can to minimize the stress and strain of going to the doctor for a chronic illness. His competent assistants call in prescriptions to the pharmacy, check with insurance for coverages, and contact the labs where you may have to go for testing. Dr. Yu takes his time with you and makes you feel as if he has all the time in the world for you and any questions you may have. He stays on top of current research and new medications. I feel so blessed to have Dr. Yu as my neurologist and truly feel we are a team working towards the same goal...living healthy and well with MS. Thank you, Dr. Yu!

|  Dr yu is an incredible doctor!  |  show details
by sandi I on Mar 14th, 2014

I have been to other neurologists. They did not take time to listen to my concerns or questions. dr yu is a very bright and professional medical provider who cares about his patients. He has given me a written "plan" after each visit, which. I appreciate because otherwise, I would forget what was discussed! especially about my meds. I would highly recommend him to others.

|  Greatest Dr I have found in a long time  |  show details
by Dede on Mar 5th, 2014

Dr Yu told me went I went into his office that he would help me. After being to so many other Doctors and facility this really gave me hope which I was totally running out of. Not only did he give me a diagnosis for my problems but after changing up some of my medications I am doing better now than I have for years. I would highly recommend him for anyone who is tired of being sent from one doctor to another with no answers. Thanks Dr Kan Yu

|  A Dr. Yu can't help but love!  |  show details
by Melissa on Jan 31st, 2014

I was diagnosed with MS at 23 and told by that rather curt doctor to do my living young because I would likely be wheelchair bound by 40. I spent the next 27 years dealing with whatever bizarre symptoms came my way by not panicking, and going to bed when I couldn't hide them. I basically 'positive thought' my way through telling myself I didn't have a problem and that worked fairly well for me. Until it didn't. When my health got to the point that I could no longer go forward without medical care I asked the staff of my other physician's offices who they recommended for neuro. I kept getting Dr. Yu's name. By the time I relinquished and brought myself to him a year ago, I had plenty of will to live left but almost zero functionality! My body had quit on me and I felt pretty certain there wasn't much hope. Dr. Yu was THE perfect doctor to see, he was so kind and he actually cared that I was suffering even tho I couldn't bring myself to say that to him. It took all I had in me just to get myself into his office and yet I couldn't bring myself to tell him how bad it was. And he said what I needed to hear to go on, those glorious words "I can make you better." It took time, trial and error, adjusting dosages but he DID help me feel like a human being again!! And resume living. And when there were crises along the way, he was always right there and available. I've even called the office after hours to leave a VM for staff and had him pick up the phone!! How many doctors can you say THAT about?! When I was hospitalized, he came in to see me late in the evening when all the other Dr's had gone for the day. As if that were not enough, he also noted that I was on a medication that I had taken for over 20 years and asked if I was aware that it causes weight issues....I responded by laughing and pointing at, well-ME. He asked if I would like to switch to a different medication? Yes please! And said we'd do that at our next visit so as not to change too much all at once. And when I went back in for the next visit... HE remembered and sent me home with the Rx!! I forgot! And here is the cherry on the cupcake that is Dr. Yu! I started dropping weight immediately! After 20 yrs of being held hostage by the old med, all it took was one caring, attentive physician to see a med and an overweight pt and connect the dots of possible cause!! I can't tell you how many doctors over the years, have seen that med on my routine file, in the exact same way that Dr. Yu did. And not one of them in 20 years took the time to think about it. I continue to lose weight and thanks to the combination of medications we finally landed on, I can get thru most days now. I still battle my body on a daily basis, but I no longer do it alone and most importantly I do it with Hope, which was previously lost, I thought for good. Being filled with hope and a positive attitude is everything when you deal with chronic illness. For me, he gave me my life back! A future restored. So many answered prayers. I am forever grateful to this caring and kind man of healing! Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't mention his staff as well. The ladies are very helpful and I can always count on Emily to get the job done! From start to finish, this is one really great practice with a doctor Yu can't help but love!! :)

|  Very Caring  |  show details
by Elke N. on Dec 19th, 2013

I have been under Dr. Yu's care for six months for migraines, headaches and hand tremors. I no longer have migraines, far fewer headaches and the tremors have decreased about 90%. Dr. Yu knows what medicaton works and how it should be taken. He works with you and adjust treatment to achieve the maximum results. Dr. Yu takes the time to talk to you and, as important, to listen to you. I have found Dr. Yu to be well respected in his field and a very competent Physician. He is very caring and has a good sense of humor. I have recommended Dr.Yu to friends who are also very pleased with him.

|  One of the best Docs I have seen yet!  |  show details
by Shannon W. on Dec 19th, 2013

I have been suffering for a few years with my symptoms. I went to a few other neuro's and I wasn't getting anywhere. I was thrown into the fibro bucket. I was going to give up. I was getting worse. I moved here to AZ and a GP recommended Dr. Yu. I am so grateful that happened! He said on my first visit that there is something way more wrong! I think him for thinking outside the box. He found out what is wrong and is helping me feel better! His care and compassion is like none other you can receive anywhere else! I am thankful everyday that I have him as my doctor!

|  Terrible Experience  |  show details
Nov 27th, 2013

Would give 0 stars if I could. Took a family member to see Dr. Yu based on the positive reviews I read. It was her first visit with Dr. Yu. Dr. Yu spent less than a total of 10 minutes with her, didn't bother to listen about her extensive past history, and rushed us out of the room, ordered a bunch of tests, and charged over $300.00. I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone.

|  Excellent Doctor!!!  |  show details
by Shannon Dahl on Oct 4th, 2013

I am so grateful to have been referred to Doctor Yu. I have suffered from Migraines for some time now and a couple months ago ended up in the Emergency Room with a severe Migraine that actually caused Seizures. I called Doctor Yu's office and spoke to a member of his staff who was genuinely concerned and was able to fit me into his schedule for the following day. From the moment Doctor Yu walked into the room, I felt at ease! He was so Caring and Compassionate he didn't rush in and out he took time with me and allowed me to address my concerns. I have never met a Doctor that I actually look forward to seeing every few weeks. Thank you Doctor Yu for giving me my life back. You are Amazing!!

|  Did Not like the Doc.  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2013

My wife went in to see Dr. Kan Yu for fybro. He did all the testing and found that she had Fybro. He put her on the pills and she had suicide thoughts a reaction to the pills. i called the doc. myself and he just said no pills and find someone else. dropping people like this is wrong. he is not a doctor i would recommend to no one. one more thing he said stop taking the pills right away. you never stop pills cold turkey . thanks for nothing Kan Yu

by Diane on Aug 15th, 2013

Dr. Yu is a wonderful doctor, as well as a wonderful person who really has a desire to help his patients. He listens, explains, and gets you on the correct medication to halp you feel better. He knows what needs to be done and gets to it quickly and accurately. I recommend him highly.

|  Giving me my life back!  |  show details
by Rachel E. on Aug 9th, 2013

Dr. Yu is one of the greatest doctors I've ever known. Before started seeing him I had a extremely severe bad migraines that left me up in bed for weeks on end. I started to give up hope of being able to see my children at a recital or sporting events or anything in life. I was referred to Dr. Yu and he told me not to give up hope. He tried other medicines that the doctors didn't prescribe to try and see if it would help me out. When those didn't work Dr. Yu recommended Botox he was very informative about the ups and downs the possibilities of what could happen with Botox and in the good things of what could possibly happen. I've had quite a few injections now for months and I am able to go to all of my children's recitals I have yet to miss one. I'm able to function in karate and I'm able to also function with everyday life now. Dr. Yu did something that went above and beyond what most doctors do though. I had broken and hurt my left ankle and talked to Dr.Yu about it. He was concerned with the podiatrist that I had so he referred me to a different doctor for that. I ended up having to have surgery on March 5, 2013 the incident happened in August 2011 I had gone all those years with pain in my foot. If Dr. Yu hadn't have sent me to a different doctor I would still be in pain today. Dr. Yu has stood by my side and helped me in controlling the pain in my foot and I think him for that. Anytime I needed to come in to be seen for my medicine or just to see Dr. Yu about a problem that I'm having the staff is always been very polite, kind and caring very supportive and getting me in as quickly as possible and most of the time it is the same day. I would recommend any patient any friends and relatives of mine to see Dr. Yu regarding any problems that you maybe having if you want the pain to stop Dr. Yu can make it happen and his lovely staff will try to ease your pain with a smile or just to ask how you're doing.

by Deb C. on Aug 5th, 2013

I have had chronic muscle pain and cramps for five years. Primary docs have just gave me a pill and told me it was just muscle cramps and they would go away. I have not been able to work for almost two years now because of this problem. My physical therapist told me about Dr. Yu and I got an appt the same week. He has run test and has finally got a answer for me. Fiber myalgia is no joke. Thanks to Dr. Yu I now feel like I can get better. The meds are working and he has been very helpful. He takes his time with you and doesn't stop until he finds an answer.i love this man. He has helped me more than any other doctor I've been to. I highly recommend him to any one that is in pain and has not got relief from other doctors. Dr. Yu is great....thanks Dr. Yu!!!!!!

|  Gifted Doctor - Special Man - The Very Best!  |  show details
by Cindy Baker on Aug 2nd, 2013

There is no other doctor out there like Dr. Yu. He is brilliant, gifted and intuitive. He has to be one of the smartest doctors of all time yet he is humble, compassionate, sympathetic and has not been hardened the way so many doctors are today. I went to see him for seizures. I saw him one week, had all my tests done the next and the following week, he gave me results that I finally understood after years of suffering. My seizures have decreased by 90% and he is the only Dr. I will see. He does not give up. His staff are exceptional and I never have to follow up. They are ten steps ahead. I will always have a special place in my heart for Dr. Yu. He is an amazing man who has blessed my life with his gift of knowledge and healing and compassion!

|  Highly recommend Doctor Kan Yu  |  show details
by Floyd Cagle on Jun 15th, 2013

Some of the pain I was having was in the same areas as when I got Valley Fever so I went to my Pulmonary Doctor. She suggested I see a neurologist my wife looked at me and shook her head. We both have seen several neurologists in the last 40 some years and have had very little success. Dr Anthony assured us that Dr. Yu was a very good doctor, and since I trusted Dr. Anthony & was having periods of severe pain I decided to give him a try. Dr. Yu worked with me and almost immediately reduced my pain. It is now at least 80% better. He listens well and will answer any questions you might have. He explains whatever treatment he is recommending. He is very thorough and asks you many questions. He is helping me to completely get off any narcotics. I would highly recommend Dr. Yu. In fact he so impressed my wife, who has back problems, that she is now a patient. Thank you Dr. Yu. Floyd and Linda Cagle

by Christi K on Apr 1st, 2013

Dr Yu has not only been the first neurologist to relieve me of my migraines (and I've been to several neurologists), but he is also caring, humorous, and eager to answer any questions I may have. I always leave his office in a good mood :-)

|  Great Dr.!!  |  show details
by K Pinto on Mar 26th, 2013

Ironically I truly enjoy my visits with Dr. Yu... He listens and does not rush you out the door as many Health Care providers do. Best of all he treats you with respect,he is kind, compassionate and funny :) ... I will continue to see Dr. Yu My only wish is that I could see him for ALL my Health needs. Schedule your appointment You wont be disappointed

|  Best Doctor Ever!  |  show details
by Kristi T on Mar 16th, 2013

I am 28 years old and when I came to Dr. Yu's office, I had no idea what was wrong with me. I couldn't remember things...where did I park my car (not as in what row was my car in? But as in I would literally spend 20-30 minutes hitting my panic button and even then I would pass my car because I wouldn't recognize it) how do I get home? In the middle of driving somewhere I wouldn't remember where I was going, etc. I was getting tingling in my hands, confusion, pain in my head and other symptoms. I was scared and worried. When doctor Yu explained that an artery had curled in my brain and was causing all of my symptoms I was relieved, it could have been so much worse. He took the time to explain everything to me, not once but twice. I had to write everything down (since I am forgetful) and he didn't rush through things. He lets you know that be cares and makes you feel comfortable. His staff is friendly and they go the extra mile for you. Janet is wonderful, she printed an image of one of my scans for me and Dr. Yu indicated where the artery was on the scan for me. I didn't leave the appointment confused and worried. I left with a clear plan of what we were going to do. I have seen many doctors and neurologist and have never felt as comfortable as I have with Dr. Yu, he has a personality, he cares and he will figure out what is wrong and will fix it. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Yu or his office. I would highly recommend his office to anyone in need without a doubt!!!

|  Great doctor!  |  show details
by Janice R on Feb 4th, 2013

Dr Yu always took the time to listen to me and to explain things to me. I always felt good leaving his office and that all my questions were answered.

|  Office Manager  |  show details
by Sara R on Feb 3rd, 2013

Dr Yu is a WONDERFUL Doctor....He is not like the rest...all the other doctors I have seen, who just took my co pay and blew me off, took time to listen to me, talked to me, and worked with me and actually HELPED me and now I am pain free. Anyone would be darn lucky to have him as your doctor!!! Dr Yu is AMAZING. WONDERFUL!! I just can't say enough.

|  Dr. Yu is amazing.  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2012

Dr. Yu makes it clear in his actions and by his demonstration of empathy that his number one concern is your pain and making it go away. Dr. Yu takes his time and listens carefully to everything you say. Dr. Yu does not waste any time or any of your money getting to the root of the problem. He acts quickly and doesn't give up until he finds a solution. I recommend Dr. Yu to anyone needing a neurologist. There is no better Dr. In my opinion.

Oct 16th, 2012

The best Neurologist I have EVER been to! In one visit my migraines are cured!!!!!!!!! I am in forever thanks of Western Neurology!

|  camry  |  show details
Sep 18th, 2012

dr kan yu is great, he has me and my wife karla as patients. we have been seeing him for over two years,no problems from his office or him. Larry McKinney

|  One of the best and most caring  |  show details
Sep 17th, 2012

I have utmost confidence in Dr. Yu. He pretty much saved my life or at least prevented me from having a massive stroke. He is always available and will get back to you personally, unlike most other doctors. HE CARES!!! also unlike most other doctors!

|  A wonderful doctor! Steve in Mesa  |  show details
Aug 29th, 2012

After eight years of suffering unimaginable pain and visits to dozens of doctors Dr. Yu diagnosed my problem and put me on the medication which has truly changed my life for the better! I would recommend him to anyone!

Aug 9th, 2012

I was seen by a local neurologist in Gilbert that was rude and ineffective, stating that there was "nothing wrong" with me. I was very discouraged as I knew that I was indeed in pain and was not imagining my symptoms. Dr Yu listened and reviewed my records and helped me immensely and I will continue my care with this most compasionate and understanding Dr. Thank you Dr Yu for helping me.

|  Dr. Yu is a great doctor  |  show details
Jun 15th, 2012

Dr. Yu spends time with you and takes the time to listen and understand what is truly going on with your condition. He's a wonderful doctor and I would highly recommend him.

Mar 13th, 2012

Great doctor! Didn't have to wait very long and the doctor spent a lot of time with us and answered all of our questions.

|  Spends time with you!  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2012

I was recommended to Dr. Yu by my PCP and Im very grateful for the care Ive received. Dr. Yu has turned out to be a very caring and attentive doctor which is often hard to find when it comes to neurologists or other specialty care doctors. He is not the type to run in and out of the room without listening or answering questions. He always sits down and takes time to talk with me and I feel like my care is important to him. He is willing to help me find the right medication for me and always wants to hear how I feel. When I was diagnosed with MS in 2009 it was a scary time having a new baby and being in the hospital AND my husband was also deployed. He made me feel at ease in the hospital and did my spinal tap with no pain! He always tells me to call him no matter what if I have any questions or problems. I often bring my son to my appointments and he doesnt mind at all. He is always happy to see him and offer him treats, etc. I would definitely recommend Dr. Yu because I feel he is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field, but also a very compassionate doctor.

|  Kind, Caring, and Determined  |  show details
Jan 20th, 2012

Dr. Yu is a very kind doctor who truly wants to ease the suffering of his patients. He will try and try again to find something that will help you. I would recommend him to anyone with a need for a neurologist!

Dec 28th, 2011

I have been a pation of Dr.Yu for about a year. I have had problems with my back for years. The first time I visited Dr. yu I felt the concern that the Dr. had with my pain. He not only explained what my problems were but didn't rush me out the door. He was the most helpful Dr. that I have ever been to. I will recommend Dr. Yu to anyone who is suffering with back pain. Tks you Dr. Yu.

|  Excellent Doc  |  show details
Dec 28th, 2011

Office staff is getting friendlier, but still not the nicest staff. The doctor makes up for that by being awesome. He spends all the time needed with you to get information and answer questions. He really listens and wants to help. Awesome Doc!

|  Neck Pain  |  show details
Nov 22nd, 2011

Went to see Dr. YU for help in solving 3 weeks of severe neck pain. Dr. said he could fix it and low and behold in less than 10 minutes pain was gone. What a relief and wow what a Doctor....Thanks so much Dr. YU...you rate an A in diagnosing and treating right away.

|  A Rare Find!  |  show details
by Bill Reynolds on Mar 15th, 2010

Very impressed with staff and doctor. Dr. Kan Yu was very professional yet very personable. I am from out of town...he made special arrangement for me to do both visits end-to-end even though he was scheduled for an "off" afternoon.His experience was demonstrated more and more as we talked. He recommended I choose a doctor for the surgery that uses the Brown Procedure (endoscopy) rather than the full surgical procedure I had on my other hand with such long recovery and rehabilitation.I received a complete report of his diagnosis of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome before I left.I could not have had a better experience! I have since contacted the Brown Hand Center in Phoenix for future surgery.I highly recommend this man!

Nov 12th, 2009

The office staff is extremely rude and abrasive.

|  Lucky Me  |  show details
by chashaug on Jun 5th, 2009 on kudzu.com

And I thought this leg pain would last forever.No relief after 2 years of treatment by others. Thanks Dr. Yu

Read Full Review at kudzu.com
 |  Absolutely the BEST!  |  show details
by andimp00 on May 6th, 2008 on kudzu.com

I came into Dr Yu's office with a variety of nonspecific nerve symptoms that other doctors had been scratching their heads ot for years. Dr Yu not only took time to answer all of my questions, he told me that he would not rest until we figured out what was wrong. He continued tests until he did just that. he has bedside manner that is lacking in today's treat'em and release'em medicine. I would recommend him to anyone! Thanks Dr Yu!

Read Full Review at kudzu.com