Dr. Kapila Seshadri MD Patient Reviews

• Pediatrics Richmond Hill, NY

• Good
  • Bad

September 24th, 2013
My son may have been wrongly diagnosed of having autism?
My son may have been wrongly diagnosed of having autism? Hi, my son is three years old. He has been diagnosed with autism. However, he is due to have a reassessment. My son was referred to a developmental doctor( he has speech delay) and she said he may be autistic and referred my son for an assessment.. 6 months down the line he had he's assessment and they diagnosed with autism and also pointing out that " he didn't qualify for any special help just speech therapy". I told my sons speech therapist and she went back to them and didn't think the diagnosis was right and the people that assessed my son admitted that they weren't sure if he had autism but diagnosed him anyway, plus he acted different in the assessment like he does at home. These are the few things that my son can do and why I suspect autism or not. 1. Does joint attention 2. As he's speech delayed, he does a lot of gestures e.g if he wants me to open the packet of crisps, he will do the action that is needed to open the crisps etc. 3. Understands non verbal cues..e.g. If I pat on a chair, he would sit down, if I hold my arms out wide he would come. 4. As he's speech as improved he has started to verbally interact with kids as before he would play alongside or just join. 5. He self care needs are advanced I.e. Toilet trained, dressing himself, brushing teeth etc. 6. Has a very good understand even though he is delayed in speech I.e. If I say " put the apple in the bin" he would do it etc. 7. Very good at imitating. 8. Always wants me to play with him. 9. Has no routine, sensory issues. 10. Has good functional play..but he's play needs to be more advanced.11. Eye contact has improved. 12. Does expressions..I.e. If he's shocked at something he's seen on tv, he would look at me cover he's mouth and look back on the tv. These are the reasons why I think he has autism. 1. When he's excited, he would run around, squint eyes and makes noises. 2. Flaps . 3. Is shy ( the main reason why they diagnosed him). What do you guys think? And I think he has an allergy. After minor ear surgery he is lot better and started repeating most of the words !!

December 4th, 2009
She is comprehensive and knowledgeable. We never felt rushed and my son felt totally comfortable. I thank God for Dr's like her.

May 5th, 2017