Dr. Karen Callahan MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

1.9

October 26th, 2016
I am doctor god, obey me and do not question my diagnosis
Seriously.... maybe not completely her fault, but our son was hospitalized and she was the doc. The diagnosis was pure nonsense. She wouldn't talk to us about why we thought it was nonsense. We asked for a second opinion and were told that there is no second opinion. Our only option was to accept a nonsense diagnosis and heavy meds our son did not need or else take him out of the hospital against medical advice. Blackmail, I call it. She doesn't talk to parents. No questions allowed. She as much as admitted through the nurse that the diagnosis was more about CYA than about psychiatry. Ugh.

June 11th, 2016
Do not ever go to her
I am absolutely floored how this Doctor is still in practice. We almost lost our family member. Her social worker let us know Dr. C thought he was "faking". Dr. C never would talk to our family we had to go through social worker while family member was hospitalized. After my family members health declined more we got a call from the social worker that Dr. C was releasing him. We finally met with Dr. C and she informed us that she could no longer help our family member that she could not find anything wrong with him and she told us "her specialty is children not adults". Also when ask medical questions she said "I am not a medical doctor I am a psychiatrist " When we tried asking questions she would cut us off and she finally walked out of room and never came back. We got discharged from hospital and took our family member to another hospital and their doctors found numerous health problems that is now being treated and our family member is on his way to a full recovery. I am writing this because I never want anyone to ever go through an experience like this.

February 19th, 2016
Aweful
Did not explain anything about what was going on. Did not spend enough with the child. Seemed distracted. Very bad experience. would not refer anyone to her.

September 13th, 2015
Inpatient psychiatric treatment
We had NO choice but to deal with Dr. C. And I totally concur with all of the above reviews. My son's long-standing diagnosis of Asperger's was summarily dismissed by both her and the Clinical Psychiatrist at Trinity Hospital. He was depressed and suicidal so we had no choice but to be there for a few days. I had genetic testing information about how he metabolizes anti-depressants. My message about sharing this information with Dr. C. was responded to by a Social Worker bringing me a sheaf of papers about the medications he is taking and their side-effects. This was quite insulting since I am the one who told them about his meds and have always educated myself about his therapy. Dr. C wanted to quadruple (X4!!!!) one of his meds, totally disregarding any input from me about his hyper-reactivity to meds and their side-effects. I left word within 12 hours that his meds were NOT to be changed UNLESS she consulted with his regular psychiatrist first. She interpreted my message as refusing to allow his meds to be changed and in her exit interview stated that she would not be able to reach his psychiatrist and would not call him. The worst part was her need to re diagnose my son. I CANNOT for the life of me understand why she and the Clinical Psychologist needed to "relabel" him with depression and social anxiety disorder. I KNOW his history and he CANNOT ever be "undiagnosed" with Asperger's. apparently all of the work that he has done has improved his interactions enough that he can deceive even professionals who don't really know what they are doing! I will steer clear of this individual for sure.

June 19th, 2015
ALWAYS LATE, RUDE RECEPTIONIST
I saw Dr. Callahan for a few months before switching to someone else (David Coffman) at the practice. She ignored my concerns about side effects and kept trying to get me to take high doses of xanax. Her receptionist is rude and treats people like they are children as well. Do yourself a favor and see Mr. Coffman; you'll get in sooner and your phone calls will be returned. You'll also get an accurate diagnosis and medication.

June 7th, 2015
Good doctor but always LATE.
I like her but she is ALWAYS late, hours late.

September 30th, 2014
Wish we had never heard of this cold fish...UNBELIEVABLE that she has a licence to treat children or any human being
Our experience is very similar to those of other reviewers. There is absolutely "ZERO" concern, compassion or caring in this being known as Dr. Karen Callahan. How she is even employed is a great mystery to us, let alone at a supposedly highly regarded practice. What is up with that????? Would not give her a single star if possible. She is impatient, feisty, rude, bossy, critical, unfriendly and talks down to both the patient and their parents. Beats me why anyone would go back to her. BIG thumbs down.

July 28th, 2013
STAY AWAY!!!
My advise to anyone seeking psychiatric help is to stay away from this lady. She will not return phone calls, she is very unprofessional and she does have a genuine concerns for her patients. STAY AWAY!!!!

January 22nd, 2013
I took my child to her on recommendation from a child psychologist and boy was that a HUGE mistake..she did nothing for my son and completely did NOTHING to help besides try to poke him full of pills...we will never go back. Her bed side manner is horrible and if you dont have a major problem when you go in to see her you will feel like you do when you come out.

October 26th, 2010
Poor professionalism
Dr. Callahan has consistently shown lack of genuine concern, and is slow to respond to pharmacy needs regarding medications. When nudged, she tends to get testy and defensive, hardly the behavior I expect from a psychiatric professional.

November 30th, 2009
Dr. Callahan was never able to effectively diagnose me. She was impatient and didn't listen to what I had to say. My entire experience with her was frustrating and expensive.

March 2nd, 2009
Callahan has been my Doctor for about 3 years, I ask about possible side effects of my medication, and am treated as though I have no idea what I'm talking about. she has not one, but two wandering eyes, which makes it very difficult to take her seriously.