Dr. Karissa Hackelton MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine Richmond, VA

3.3

January 28th, 2017
She does such a poor job of billing, I wonder about her medical knowledge. Last year I saw her the day after she had been on vacation and she was too busy to pay much attention to me.

September 27th, 2016
She is a very good diagnostician, takes time to listen, and is always professional, courteous, and has a comfortable bedside manner. Most importantly, she is very concerned about the whole person and actively seeks out information on specialty care.

September 23rd, 2015
Completely Lackadaisical
This practice and this doctor are completely inept and inefficient. I have to get bloodwork every six months in order to get a prescription refilled. My levels have not changed in over 6 years when I was diagnosed... yet, every six months I MUST go in for bloodwork or my prescription will not get filled. I am told every single time that I go in that I do not need an appointment or an order for labs, but every single time I go in it is a problem!!! It is a problem, even if I phone in advance! I wait approximately 45 minutes just to get lab work done and my prescription is NEVER refilled!!! I must phone the pharmacy multiple times and I must phone the doctors office several times to get the refill activated! Absolutely absurd!!!! I'm over it!!!!!!

September 17th, 2015
I came in for awful back pain that came on out of nowhere. I told her all of my symptoms & that I hadn't lifted anything heavy or strained it while exercising. She started writing me a prescription for pain killers almost immediately. I asked her if it had anything to do with a rash on my back & it wasn't until then did she realize I had shingles. I'm 29 years old & in great physical health. At the time, I did not know anything about the ailment. I'm my opinion, she did not do a full analysis of what could possibly be wrong with me, simply dismissing it as muscle pain. To top it off, by the end of the week, I had gotten extremely ill , i.e vomiting with severe headache & fatigue. Upon calling her office, she had the nurses take my messages & call me back, each time they offered their sympathies and even exchanged their own stories of how bad shingles was for them. On the third callback, the nurse said she recommended I go to the ER due to possible complication of encephalitis, which is pretty rare in those diagnosed with shingles. The ER doctors immediately ruled that out after doing CT scans and blood work. They almost did a spinal tap but my body responded to the IV, thus ruling my condition as dehydration. Had Dr Hackleton requested I be seen by ANY of the other physicians that day (since she was clearly too busy), I could've easily avoided that entire, unnecessary visit to the ER, which resulted in a 7k bill. Thank God for health insurance.

June 7th, 2015
Dr. Hackleton listened to my complaints about blood in my vomit and stool and told me it was just allergies. It turned out to be an ulcer, which I had suspected. Judging from the other two reviews it seems that she does not take being a doctor seriously.

April 18th, 2014
Get more exercise
Was moved to Dr. Hackelton when my doctor moved away. I have problems with my thyroid and started to gain quite a bit of weight, despite my being a vegetarian and working out 5 times a week. My labs were all over the place so I made an appointment to see her. Dr. Hackelton said I looked fine but if I was concerned should hire a personal trainer! Really??????? Extremely helpful!

September 27th, 2012
Really let down...
I needed a new PCP after recently moving to the area, and I work for a state-of-the-art laboratory who ran all my tests for me and gave me an extremely UNHEALTHY looking lab-report. A lot of the scientists I work with at the lab were extremely concerned and suggested I see my doctor immediately. My first appointment with her, I brought my extensive lab results which very clearly said that I was in the "high risk range" for probably 85% of the tests I had run, which was much more than just a standard lipid panel. She saw me for a total of 10 minutes, told me to try diet and exercise (as if I never have, I'm a middle-aged woman!) and sent me on my way! These results suggest that I have some serious cardiac issues and I'm aware of that, I just can't treat myself! I'm not obese, and I'm in my twenties. I would think she should have taken a closer look and wondered WHY these results look so awful. I'll be searching for a new doctor.