Dr. Karl Fukunaga MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

February 21st, 2015
Uncaring, hurried, do not listen.
I recently had an endoscopic procedure by Dr. Karl Fukunaga at the Endoscopy Center at Skypark in Torrance California. As a health care professional myself, with 30 years under my belt (5 years of which I managed an Endoscopy unit) I was appalled at what I experienced that day. When the admission RN called me in from the waiting she called me by my first and last name, however, she did not use my correct first name. She used the same incorrect name another time during my visit. During my pre-procedure interview the RN asked me what I do. I told her my profession and where I worked. No more than 5 minutes later she asked me what I do. The same question and discussion we just had 5 minutes ago. It became apparent at that point that she does not care anything about me as a patient. Once in the pre-procedure area 4 different people bombarded me. It was overwhelming, I did not know who anyone was or what his or her role was, nobody told me. The curtain of my cubicle was opened and closed without any regard for my privacy. A nice lady, who actually made eye contact with me came into the procedure area and introduced herself as Vicki and she told me that she would be administering my anesthesia. I felt safe with her. Then Dr. Fukunaga entered the room and I was asked to turn on my side. I asked Dr. Fukunaga if he knew what the indication was for my procedure he said “uummmm.” And then he went over to my chart and stated half of the reason. I told him and everyone else in the room, right before the procedure started, that I knew they were in a hurry but can someone listen to me and let me tell you why I am here. I was very close to walking away at that point, but I was sick and needed help. I have been a healthcare provider for a long time and have never been exposed to or witnessed any behavior as I did today. It was demoralizing. There was no caring. No regard for my privacy. As I looked around after my procedure at the other patients I thought to myself…I feel bad for all these people who do not know any better than this kind of care. I have a passion for being a healthcare professional and I get very dishearten when I see what I saw today.

February 2nd, 2013
Excellent doctor
Really outstanding doctor! Kind, very attentive, very thorough, great diagnostic skills, and endoscopic procedural expertise. I highly recommend him!

February 21st, 2012
GREAT DOCTOR - BAD STAFF
Hard to rate,,, Dr. Fukunaga is the best, HOWEVER his receptionists, appointment schedulers and office staff is abosolutely HORRIBLE.... They NEVER call back, left 4 messages last week with 3 different people and never got a call back to schedule an appointment. One message left with the office operator was to have the Dr. call me, never got a call, I'm sure he NEVER got the message.As I said Dr. Fukunaga is the undisputable best Gastro guy around, but what a BAD support staff.

June 30th, 2010
great
My dad had stomach cancer stage 4. Dr. Fukunaga placed a J tube in to assist with food intake/digestion. Dr. Fukunaga demonstrated a lot of compassion, care and empathy for my dad and family. Follow-up visits were great and he tried to fit my dad in whenever he needed it. My mom also goes to him and she has nothing but positive reviews/comments.

January 7th, 2010
The Office Staff is Rude.