Overall Review

November 4th, 2016
Husband in disbelief
I showed up on time at 10:30 for a noon surgery. After waiting two hours, in the waiting room my husband called over a passing nurse to ask what was going on. 20 min later a nurse comes by and I ask what the problem was and she said they are falling behind. I get into pre-op and Dr. Illig comes in with an attitude telling me I was nasty to his staff. I told him I wasn't, I just wanted to know what the problem was. He in turn acted rude to me telling me he might not want to do the surgery now. My husband spoke up calmly saying I wasn't rude, I never raised my voice, I never used bad language. He said I was a little cranky because I haven't eaten in over 12 hours now, but affirmed I was only asking questions. Dr. Illig then badgered me, got me crying and upset then said well now we can't do surgery and stormed out. My husband was in disbelief. I got dressed and we walked out and filed a complaint with the hospital patient advocate and the administration. I don't know what his problem is, but he has no bedside manner and cares more for his young nurses than his patients.

June 7th, 2016
Happy patient
I'm happy to be Dr Illegs patient. He and his staff are very professional and truly care about their patients. My surgery is coming up next week and I feel like I'm in very capable hands.

May 10th, 2015
Faultless Professional
Warm, highly competent, qualified surgeon. We are eternally grateful to his fine care and talent.

April 23rd, 2015
Made me feel at ease
Attentive, thorough, and made me feel at ease.

September 23rd, 2013
Poor follow-up post-op
Dr. Illig operated on my father ( a typical WWII vet & great guy) in Rochester, NY., my dad bled terribly a few weeks after the surgery and his local GP doctor said the incision looked infected. Dr. Illig's reply was that "a local doctor wouldn't know what he was looking at...." and referred my dad to his nurse practicioner....- my dad died subsequently from the infection.... I will forever fault myself for not bringing my dad to my home in Calif & UCLA for proper care.

December 1st, 2010
All doctors should know how to pay attention like this man does.
Dr. Illig performed surgery on me in 2005, related to thoracic outlet syndrome. He is a busy man, functioning as head of the Vascular Surgery group at Strong Memorial, teaching, and researching. Yet, I found, that in the relative brief appointments I had with him for pre-op, day of surgery and post-op, that he bring an incredible sense of presence, concentration, focus, an attentiveness and listening skill that was a surprise, comfort, and pleasure. I wish all doctors could be understand that fine art of being "there," focused on their patient. Come prepared with your questions and accept that some things may change due to the challenging schedule this man keeps. Dr. Illig is a first rate surgeon and a compassionate human being.

June 10th, 2010
great
all i have to say about DR. Illig .... is i trust him with my life.