Dr. Karla Blackwood MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

January 12th, 2012
Best psychiatrist, ever
I have seen several psychiatrists in my lifetime, and Dr. Blackwood is by far the best. She has remained current regarding research and treatment in her field; she has an open mind; does not condescend to patients but rather involves them in their care. Her management of my care was always spot on, where others before her had failed miserably. I can not say enough about how much I appreciate the time and care that she always took with me. I would never hesitate to recommend Dr. Blackwood.

May 27th, 2011
Most experience ever with an MD
I voluntarily went to the pysch ER after a week of severe depression at UM hospital where Dr Blackwood was the attendin,g. I was initially interviewed by a wonderful, compassionate resident who then said he would need to refer to his attending. Once Dr Blackwood entered the room the atmosphere changed completely. She seemed irriated when all I wanted was clarification and when I stated my right to know, she literally began to snarl. Dismissed everything the resident had told me and with " I said and it will be done attitude" and started to stomp her feet when I disagreed with her diagnosis (which later was found to be completely wrong by another psychiatrist). I actually felt endangered by this physician, so much so that I called the interview to a halt and demanded to see a representative from patient relations. Dr Blackwood stormed out of the room and slammed the door after herself. Both the resident and the social worker just stared at me. After talking with the patrient representative, he apologozied on her behalf. I then went to St Joe's ER and received exemplary care. I still cannot believe the behavior she displayed. I have made all attempts to have any psychiatric care outside the University of Michigan Health System.