Dr. Kathleen Akiyama MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0
  • 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

November 11th, 2015
HORRIBLE
Absolutley horrible. I am a professional who has owned her own business for 17 years. I went to her with honesty and bravery and asked her for help with a severe addiction to prescription medications. She responded by taking away all of my medication with no taper. I told Dr. Akiyama that the last time I stopped taking this medication abruptly I had a seizure which was affirmed by my psychologist who was also there during the meeting with Dr Akiyama. She did not care. I offered to go into in-patient and I was told that in-patient does not treat this addiction because of the long withdrawal. I asked to be switched to an addiction specialist and was told it would not be covered by my insurance. I found some addiction specialists psychiatrists and I called them. They were appalled by her behavior. I made an appointment with a specialist but be cannot see me until next week. I will have to pay out of pocket for this addiction specialist and it is $450 for the intake session and $270 per 45min session to apply the exact same taper program that Dr Akiyama could apply. My therapist told me to go to the emergency room if the withdrawals become dangerous. In the emergency room at San Mateo medical hospital they told me that they do not treat addictions. That is understandable. They gave me about 1/10th of the medication that I usually take a day. I waited 5 hrs and paid for Uber there and back. I know I'm facing tough withdrawals and thought it was more responsible to take Uber. I do not have mediation and I'm scared and depressed. DO NOT GO TO THIS DR. SHE IS ONLY CARES MORE ANOUT LUABILITY THAN HER PATIENTS.