Family Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor

@UCI Student Health (Women's Clinic) show details @UCI Student Health (Women's Clinic)
by L.N. on May 31st, 2013

Called to make an appointment and they got me in the next morning. Everyone was pleasant and efficient from start to finish. I did not feel like they were rushing or put upon like some other places I've been. The doctor was clear in her explanation, really listened to what I was saying and came up with a solution that I was comfortable with.

No empathy and no flexibility show details No empathy and no flexibility
Apr 13th, 2012

I'm a graduate student with a busy life and no time for the debilitating cramps, headaches and mood swings I suffer without the help of oral contraceptives. Over the years I've tried several and found one that helps all of these things considerably. Two years running Dr. Gallagher has refused to rewrite a script for this form of birth control that citing studies that are old, and generally disregarded by much of the field (evidenced by the fact I've had no problems getting a script from other well-regarded doctors while still being completely honest about my condition). I'm a graduate student in the life sciences and read the literature myself, said I was aware of the risks but for the time being would like to continue my current regiment. She was in no way swayed. If you want your doctor to view you as a person and not a statistic stay away from Dr. Gallagher.

Incompetent. show details Incompetent.
Mar 31st, 2011

After what was an okay appointment (long wait, but she took time with me), I left with a referral to a specialist and her assurance that I could contact her to refill my prescription if I needed to. I did need to, and Dr. Gallagher then informed me that she did not feel comfortable refilling my prescription because I had experienced a migraine 8 months earlier with blurry vision. She told me that this did not sound like an aura, but I should consider alternative methods to be on the safe side. She sent me home with the knowledge that I would continue to take my prescription, which I rely on, and then essentially changed her mind on giving me a refill. This suggests to me that either she knowingly allowed me to continue taking a potentially dangerous prescription, or she "changed her mind," which is also alarming.