Dr. Kathleen Hands MD Patient Reviews

3.6
  • 14 reviews

February 16th, 2016
Nikki's mom
Where do I start! Dr.Hands and her staff are top notch! Last year I took my daughter in to see her. Nikki was a Sr. In high school and in basketball and track; so needless to say a very active kid. She had some discoloration and other little thing I let go. She has an older sister who was going to a dr in the Houston area and suggested we get Nikki's thyroid's looked at. So we made an appointment with Dr. Hands. On our first visit she expected diabetes not thyroid when she saw her. Once the blood work came back she was spot on!!!! Nikki's insulin was in the 2 hundreds, she had high #'s in all the tests. Dr. Hands answered ever question we had about this "unknown" and was very encouraging to my daughter! We kept ever visit, Nikki hasn't been the best patient about her appetite but at our last visit her insulin was down to a 5.5! I don't know about you; but if a Dr can give me something to help my #'s not be sky high; why would I not do it! On a personal note. She knows what she's talking about. We have seen nothing but success with Nikki. She is very accommodating with her hours too. We have had to come in earlier or stay late and she does it! Great Dr. and person! I would recommend her to anyone!!

January 25th, 2016
Competent but not compassionate.
I was a big fan of Dr. Hands at first. She got my thyroid under control, and I decided to stick with her, despite not accepting insurance and having a less than ideal bedside manner. After seeing her a few times, she decided to check my glucose and A1c levels. I understood why; I think it's important to have baseline labs done. My A1c and glucose were "within normal limits" yet on the higher end, according to her. My glucose of 70s and 80s was "too high" for her liking, as was my A1c of 5.4. She prescribed Metformin and an injectable diabetes medicine. I immediately felt ill after taking the medicines she prescribed. My glucose dropped into the 60s and I felt jittery and faint. I completely lost my appetite and was only eating about 1000 calories a day. I decided to stop taking the meds, have repeat bloodwork done, and went for not only a second opinion, but a third. Both the internal medicine doctor and endocrinologist I saw told me I did not need to take the medicine Dr. Hands had prescribed. My glucose and A1c levels were just fine and neither of them would consider me a diabetic or even pre-diabetic. After talking to a diabetes pharmaceutical sales rep friend of mine, she suggested I check out the "Dollars for Docs" website. The government now requires all pharmaceutical companies to published monetary compensation to physicians. I looked up my doctors and most had food compensations of $5-50, which my friend said is typical (office breakfast treats or the occasional dinner). Dr. Hands, on the other hand, had more than $250,000 paid to her last year alone!!!!! Most of which came from the company who's diabetes medicine she prescribed to me. She apparently spends all of her spare time "lecturing" on big pharma's dime. I understand well-known physicians in major cities who work for universities and do research get a lot of compensation from companies for their research or devices they may have developed or helped to develop, but over a quarter of a million dollars to one endocrinologist in private practice in San Antonio, Texas? That's ludicrous. Bottom line: I will not be returning to see Dr. Hands. Her practice seems unethical to me.

November 10th, 2015
Straight Talk
If you want straight talk, Dr. Hands is the doctor for you. At first I was a little taken back by her approach but once I had a better understanding of where she was going it all made sense. She doesn't overmedicate, over test, or beat around the bush. Highly recommended.

May 14th, 2015
Your in GOOD Hands...with Dr. Kathleen Hands!
Dr. Hands is a Top Class Specialist in her field. I am very blessed to have found her. She has dedication, true conviction and passion in what she does. Congratulations on her Cover and Feature Article story in the prestigious SA Woman Magazine. A well deserved honor!.

August 28th, 2012
I have never been so disrespected by a doctor. She did not take the time to listen to my concerns and she bombarded me with unsolicited diet information. She recommended I eat no carbs. I would strongly advice anyone considering booking an appointment find another provider who is more compassionate.

August 1st, 2012
I was compared to her mother in how overweight I am. Insisted I go on a low carb dieting consisting of some protein shake. I felt talk down to rather than educated on what I needed to do.

July 24th, 2012
Best Doctor I've Ever Had
I am just blown away at what a caring and hardworking doctor Dr. Hands is. She actually schedules her appointments 30 minutes apart! As a result, she has the time to really understand your problem and deal with it. She is also really on top of the current research and is willing to share everything she knows with you. One of Dr. Hands best traits is that she is really curious and will test you for any deficiency or illness that may be connected to your initial problem. When the results come in, she will call you no matter what and have an actual conversation about what the results mean. I'm having fertility trouble, and I swear Dr. Hands has done more to help with that than my reproductive endocrinologist has. I just haven't met a doctor who even comes close to Dr. Hands.

February 3rd, 2012
Legal assistant
Excellent experience!Wonderful bedside manor, Really felt compassion for me dealing with life not just my thyroid. Can't wait to show her how well I am Doing with her nutritional advice. Ive been able to come off or down on multiple meds which saves me a lot of money. She doesn't file insurance paperwork but it was easy to get reimbursed. Even if I didn't get a dime back, best money I ever spent!!With much gratitude THANK YOU DR HANDS!

August 6th, 2011
Craig Meyn
Dr Hands was awesome, she has a great bedside manner, explains everything in detail and very professional. She combines the professionalism that is required with the down to earth manner that give the patient a high degree of confidence that you are in good "hands"

July 25th, 2011
Dra. Hands is an empathic, no nonsense, highly respected academician and clinician whose sole concentration is improving your health. 'Nuff said. Gracias.

March 23rd, 2011
This Doctor has made a tremendous difference in my health!
Dr. Kathleen Hands has made a huge difference in my health. I went to her for a second opinion after spending almost 10 years with my current endocrinologist. I was sure that something was wrong even though my current doctor said, you're fine, you're fine, repeatedly. Dr. Hands did all the appropriate homework and really took the time to get to know me, listen to my history and my family history and made some great recommendations. She did all the necessary tests and found what all of the other doctors had missed. She took the time to educate me about the problem, and helped me make the changes necessary to correct the issue. I've since switched away from the other doctor, who patted me on the shoulder and told me that my issue was really in my head. Maybe you're just depressed he said. Well depression wasn't my problem, elevated blood sugar was making feel horrible. Dr. Hands has helped me make some major life changes, healthier eating, meds that make a difference and lots of moral support. Love her and will continue to see her for all my thyroid and endocrine issues!

February 26th, 2011
A nice woman who doesn't know what she's talking about
Dr. Hands is full of opinions- opinions she can't back up with science, especially opinions on nutrition. I took her recommendations to my primary doctor, who was appalled. I am cancelling my follow up visits.