Dr. Kathleen Jones-Monte MD Patient Reviews

• Obstetrics and Gynecology Concord, NC

2.2

August 3rd, 2013
Very professional. Took time and listened to me, even though I know I took more time than most appointments. Really seemed like she cared about what I wanted in regard to me health care. Best bedside manner I ever saw in a gynacologist.

April 23rd, 2013
Terrible
I never write reviews- good or bad, just never do but this was necessary. For a doctor in this field it's important to know what you're getting into so I just have to warn anyone else. I had not read any reviews about Dr. Jones-Monte prior to my appointment and I guess that was my first mistake. She told me very bluntly twice that if I had a hysterectomy that I would die on the table. That definitely didn't put my mind at ease and raised my stress level to an even higher amount. She was very condescending when I told her my symptoms (which were confirmed from my ER visit) and she said that what I was saying about my pain was wrong and not possible. (Which any basic doctor knows that fibroids can be very painful- but she said that's not true....) She also said that the doctor's in the ER are basically incompetent and their only job is to make sure you don't die; they don't know how to diagnose things "correctly" and even though she had all my paperwork and test results she didn't believe them and now wanted to schedule her own ultrasound before she would even begin to help me. So my appointment was totally pointless and I have to go back just for her to do an ultrasound that the ER already did. Worst doctor ever. Didn't believe me, tried to downplay what was wrong, very arrogant, condescending, and implied that I was lying about my pain. Maybe since she's from LA she thinks that gives her the right to act like a hotshot know-it-all who really is clueless and useless.

October 6th, 2010
Jones-Monte is C-Section Happy
Do not go to Kathleen Jones-Monte if you wan to avoid a c-section. Here is the full story with my experience with Kathleen Jones-Monte. During my pregnancy, the routine appointments proved to be a nightmare, and at one point the doctor prescribed a genetic test, but the office did not seek pre-authorization and I was stuck with a $1,400 bill. I had more than the average amount of amniotic fluid near the end of my pregnancy. J-M sent me for 2 ultrasounds a week for 3 weeks in addition to the weekly vaginal exams and ultrasounds that simply checked the weight and height of the baby - that's 4 appointments a week for 3 weeks. These tests, it turns out, were completely unnecessary. The constant doctor visits and the demeanor of the office staff added undo stress. At 38 weeks, I had an ultrasound to measure the the baby. The ultrasonographer (who was dressed in faux military fatigues) came running out into the waiting room as we were leaving to inform me that I had to wait there while she phoned Jones-Monte to see if I needed to go in for an immediate c-section. My bloodpressure went through the roof because this was the scenario I had tried to avoid for over a year. I even hired a doula. (Note: an ultrastonographer is not a doctor and receives no training making a judgement about how a baby should be delivered. Ultra sounds are notoriously inaccurate, and my case was no exception. She measured the baby at 9.5 lbs. at 38 weeks. My baby was just over 8 lbs. at 41 weeks.) Jones-Monte started to suggest a c-section when I was 38 weeks. The reasons Jones-Monte gave were nebulous, but her tone was dramatic. Even though the prediction of a large baby and higher than average amniotic fluid are not indications for an elective c-section according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologistsand the American Academy of Family Physicians, Jones-Monte said things like "you have a higher change of shoulder dystocia and a higher chance of chord prolapse. If either of those things happen when you are not at the hospital your baby will DIE!" She became a bully. Despite her dire warning, Jones-Monte agreed to do an induction a day before I was due. However when she did a vaginal exam close to my induction time, I had a very low Bishop score (no dilation, no effacement). For these reasons, Jones-Monte thought I would probably end up with a c-section anyway (self-fulfilling prophecy I wondered?). So after some deliberation, I called her office to cancel the induction because the last thing I wanted was get induced, for the induction to fail and then have a c-section anyway because my body wasn't ready. The nurse on the phone was mean and rude, and didn't even pass along this information to Jones-Monte as I requested.Long story short: My choice at that point was either a home birth or a scheduled for a c-section. The midwife I liked was out of town that week, so I was scheduled with Monte for a c-section. When I showed at selected hospital (the hospital we had confirmed with Jones-Monte's staff) at 5 a.m., I learned my paperwork was sent a hospital 30 minutes away. I was told I would have to drive there. We got into the car and we were just about to get on the highway when I got a phone call from my mother who said she got a phone call saying I should turn back and go to the original hospital. When I finally had the procedure, Jones-Monte never acknowledged me. She simply started to cut. During the procedure, she chatted with the other doctor about how fattening granola is. The anesthesiologist was the only person explaining to me and my husband what was happening to my body and my baby. I had a good recovery from the surgery in part because I was physically active through out my pregnancy. It was simply not my choice to have an unnecessary c-section, and I feel violated for that reason. The last insult came when Jones-Monte did not want to see me (I am assuming) for a check-up after the c-section where my incision was to be checked. Her assistant checked me (who is not a nurse), and removed two staples that were accidentally left in at the hospital.

July 23rd, 2010
HER LISCENCE SHOULD BE REVOKED!!!
Dr. Jones-Monte was my OB for my first baby who is now 18 months old. I went to her because she was recommended over other dr.s on my insurance by a labor and delivery nurse. To make a long story short, I should have figured out that she was not the dr. for me before delivery. She SAID it was my delivery and she would support my choice to have a natural delivery several times. However, I should have taken the cues that she had a very negative attitude towards natural delivery more seriously.So I went into labor naturally. I labored all day and night at home then went to the hospital when there were no spaces between contractions. About 6 hours after getting to the hospital I was having strong pushing contractions. I was dialated 8cm so the nurse called the Dr. in and advised me not to push and to breath through the contractions. This is nearly impossible by the way. Jones-Monte checked me, said I was still an 8, not to push cuz I would tear my cervix and never be able to have children again. Of course that scared me to death. So In horrible agony I breathed and breathed trying not to push...blah blah blah. Jones-Monte came in about an hour later and said I wasn't progressing and that I either needed to have an epidural to help me relax or she would do a c-section. I said I wanted a natural delivery and she literally stormed out of the room and said "fine, then I'm going back to my office". The nurse said she was insturcted by Jones-Monte not to check me for several more hours. Anyone who has had a baby knows that this is rediculous. I was clearly in transition and the baby was stuck. So there I was in utter agony for 4 MORE HOURS. Jones-Monte happily back at her office. Finally, I told the nurse I wasn't going to make it any longer...I literally thought I was going to die at this point. I was losing all strength and beginning to lose consiousness from the exhaustion and pain. The nurse was disgusted with the Dr. She told me she would inform the dr. that I was ready to deliver and that by the time she arrived I would be. So she called the Dr. and told her I was 10cm (even though I was still 8) then came back, reached in and stretch my cervix over the baby's head. When Jones-Monte got there she was mad that the nurse had interfered but what could she do the baby was coming now. During our exams I had a long conversation with Jones-Monte about wanting to take time pushing the baby out and let the contractions do most the work so that I wouldn't tear (common practice). She said she was on board. Well during the delivery she was yelling and yelling at me to push harder. I believed the baby was in danger so I pushed him out as fast as I could. Needless to say I tore about as far as a girl can tear. Well Jones-Monte gave me some local anesthetic, which did nothing, and stitched me up. I could feel everything, but was so relieved to not be holding back against pushing contractions anymore that I didn't complain. Besides, I had no strength. Anyway, my recovery was really really hard and I was in a lot of pain for several weeks. On self examination I discovered the vaginal opening looked huge and my perenium was super short. I didn't go back for a follow up with Jones-Monte because I obviously didn't feel comfortable seeing the Dr. who had walked out on me. I went to my family's long time trusted OBGYN instead even though my insurance didn't cover it. I learned there that the vaginal muscle and opening were not sewn up all the way so I have to have reparative surgery. This also results in infections and continuous pain and discomfort that I still suffer from 18 months later.When I took my baby back to the hospital to get tested when he was about a week old I ran into Jones-Monte and said hi. She literally didn't even acknowledge me. Please don't trust Jones-Monte with your body and your baby. I'm lucky that there were no serious complications with my delivery. If I hadn't had that amazing nurse I believe that things could have ended tragically. If you want to have a c-section maybe your ok with her. She clearly has an agenda to deliver as many c-sections as possible and will go to any lengths to achieve this goal. Even walk out on you and leave you and your baby in danger. The physical and emotional pain and suffering that I have gone through are the result of her selfish agenda and total disreguard for the feelings and safety of her patients. Several of my sisters and friends consulted with their OBGYN's about my delivery. All the dr.s have responded that when a patients cervix gets stuck on the side of the baby's head the way mine did all you do is reach in an pull it over the head...which is what the nurse eventually did. Jones-Monte left me to suffer hour after agonizing hour instead because she wanted me to give up and let her perform her precious high paying c-section. She put us in danger for a chance to make a little more cash. My mom has been present at over 24 births plus her own 7 deliveries and she says she has seen good dr.s and bad, but no one compares to what Jones-Monte did to me and that even though a lot of dr.'s haven't given 100%, Jones-Monte is the only one she has ever felt should really lose her liscence. If my experience is any indication, mother's and babies will lose their lives because of Dr. Jones-Monte! Please please please protect yourself from her. She should not be practicing medicine!!!

July 28th, 2009
On my first visit with Jones-Monte, before I was pregnant, I asked her what her C-section is. She said that she did not know her c-section rate. I made it clear that my highest goal was to avoid a c-section and that I would do everything I could to give birth vaginally. Jones-Monte said would do everything she could to get me the birth that I want. During my pregnancy, the routine appointments proved to be a nightmare. Billing was always a hassle, and at one point the doctor prescribed a genetic test. But the office did not seek pre-authorization, and we were stuck with a $1,400 medical bill. Near the end of my pregnancy, I had more than the average amount of amniotic fluid. Jones-Monte sent me for two ultrasounds a week for three weeks in addition to the weekly vaginal exam and in addition to the ultrasounds to simply check my amniotic fluid. This was just the first in a series unnecessary tests and procedures. The constant doctor visits, and the demeanor of the office staff added undo stress. For example, after I had an ultrasound to measure the length of the baby, the ultrasonographer came running out into the waiting area as we were leaving to inform me that I had to wait there while she phoned Jones-Monte to see if I needed to go in for an immediate c-section. My blood pressure went through the roof because this was the scenario I had tried to avoid for over a year. I even hired a doula. (Note: the ultrastonographer is not really a medical professional and had no right making a judgement about how I should deliver my baby. Ultra sounds are notoriously inaccurate, and my case was no exception. She measured the baby at 9.5 lbs. My baby was just over 8 lbs.) The extra tests, I feel, were done in part to scare me into and prepare me for the suggestion of the c-section. Jones-Monte started to suggest this when I was 38 weeks. The reasons Jones-Monte gave were nebulous, but her tone was dramatic. Even though the prediction of a large baby and higher than average amniotic fluid are not indications for an elective c-section according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologistsand the American Academy of Family Physicians, Jones-Monte said things like "you have a higher change of shoulder dystocia and a higher chance of chord prolapse. If either of those things happen when you are not at the hospital your baby will DIE!" Despite her dire warning, Jones-Monte agreed to do an induction a day before I was due. However, when she did a v-exam I had a very low Bishop score (no dilation, no effacement). For these reasons, Jones-Monte thought I would probably end up with a c-section anyway (self-fulfilling prophecy I wondered?). So after some deliberation, I called her office to cancel the induction because the last thing I wantedwas to be induced, then the induction fail which would result in a c-section because my body wasn't ready. I called Jones-Monte's nurse about this over the phone. The nurse was mean and rude, and didn't even pass along this information to Jones-Monte as I requested. At my next meeting with Monte, she was mean and insisted on a c-section. She would not induce me. She was combative. I was scheduled for a c-section. When I showed at my selected hospital (the hospital we had confirmed with Jones-Monte's staff) at 5 a.m., I learned my paperwork was sent a hospital 30 minutes away. I was told I would have to drive there. We got into the car and we were just about to get on the highway when I got a phone call from my mother who said she got a phone call from the hospital saying I should turn back and go to the original hospital. I have no idea why they didn't phone me directly. When I finally had the procedure, Jones-Monte never acknowledged me. She simply started to cut. During the procedure, she chatted with the other doctor about how fattening granola is. The anesthesiologist was the only person explaining to me and my husband what was happening to me and my baby. Now, I should acknowledge that Jones-Monte is an excellent surgeon and my recovery was good (I worked out my entire pregnancy). It was simply not my choice to have an unnecessary c-section, and I feel violated for that reason. The last insult came when Jones-Monte did not want to see me (I am assuming) for a check-up after the c-section where my incision was to be checked. Her assistant checked me (who is not a nurse), and removed to staples that were accidentally left in at the hospital.

July 28th, 2009
Her office is disorganized, she rather Cesarean happy, and her bedside manner is awful
On my first visit with Jones-Monte, before I was pregnant, I asked her two questions: 1) Do you perform routine episiotomies? and 2) What is your C-section rate? To the first question, she responded "no," to the second question, she said that she did not know her c-section rate. I made it clear that my highest goal was to avoid a c-section and that I would do everything I could to give birth vaginally. Jones-Monte would do everything she could to get me the birth that I want. Red flags, bells, whistles and fog horns going off in my mind.During my pregnancy, the routine appointments proved to be a nightmare. Billing was always a hassle, and at one point the doctor prescribed a genetic test. But the office did not seek pre-authorization, and we were stuck with a $1,400 medical bill. Near the end of my pregnancy, I had more than the average amount of amniotic fluid. Jones-Monte sent me for two ultrasounds a week for three weeks in addition to the weekly vaginal exam and in addition to the ultrasounds to simply check my amniotic fluid. This was just the first in a series unnecessary tests and procedures. The constant doctor visits, and the demeanor of the office staff added undo stress. For example, after I had an ultrasound to measure the length of the baby, the ultrasonographer came running out into the waiting area as we were leaving to inform me that I had to weight there while she phoned Jones-Monte to see if I needed to go in for an immediate c-section. My blood pressure went through the roof because this was the scenario I had tried to avoid for over a year. I even hired a doula. (Note: the ultrastonographer is not really a medical professional and had no right making a judgement about how I should deliver my baby. Ultra sounds are notoriously inaccurate, and my case was no exception. She measured the baby at 9.5 lbs. My baby was just over 8 lbs.)The extra tests, I feel, were done in part to scare me into and prepare me for the suggestion of the c-section. Jones-Monte started to suggest this when I was 38 weeks. The reasons Jones-Monte gave were nebulous, but her tone was dramatic. Even though the prediction of a large baby and higher than average amniotic fluid are not indications for an elective c-section according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologistsand the American Academy of Family Physicians, Jones-Monte said things like "you have a higher change of shoulder dystocia and a higher chance of chord prolapse. If either of those things happen when you are not at the hospital your baby will DIE!" She became a bully.Despite her dire warning, Jones-Monte agreed to do an induction a day before I was due. However, when she did a v-exam I had a very low Bishop score (no dilation, no effacement). For these reasons, Jones-Monte thought I would probably end up with a c-section anyway (self-fulfilling prophecy I wondered?). So after some deliberation, I called her office to cancel the induction because the last thing I wanted get induced,for the induction to fail and then have a c-section anyway because my body wasn't ready. I called Jones-Monte's nurse about this over the phone. The nurse was mean and rude, and didn't even pass along this information to Jones-Monte as I requested. I then got an angry phone call from Monte's office Monday morning and I had to schedule another appointment with her. At this meeting Monte was mean and insisted a c-section. She would not induce me. She was combative, while I was in tears and my husband was calm and quiet.I was scheduled for a c-section. When I showed at selected hospital (the hospital we had confirmed with Jones-Monte's staff) at 5 a.m., I learned my paperwork was sent a hospital 30 minutes away. I was told I would have to drive there. We got into the car and we were just about to get on the highway when I got a phone call from my mother who said she got a phone call saying I should turn back and go to the original hospital. I have no idea why they didn't phone me directly. When I finally had the procedure, Jones-Monte never acknowledged me. She simply started to cut. During the procedure, she chatted with the other doctor about how fattening granola is. The anesthesiologist was the only person explaining to me and my husband what was happening to me and my baby. Now, I should acknowledge that Jones-Monte is an excellent surgeon and my recovery was good (I worked out my entire pregnancy). It was simply not my choice to have an unnecessary c-section, and I feel violated for that reason. The last insult came when Jones-Monte did not want to see me (I am assuming) for a check-up after the c-section where my incision was to be checked. Her assistant checked me (who is not a nurse), and removed to staples that were accidentally left in at the hospital.

May 5th, 2009
I had not problem getting Dr Jones monte to answer questions and spend time doing so. I knew what tests were being done and why. Have no problem contacting the nurse for questions after the appointment if I need clarification or just have a question or concern.

February 12th, 2009
Not sure on this place yet
My first visit the staff was so rude. The doctor face time was less than ten minutes. She was running out the door and said we would talk on the next visit. Test were ordered I did not know what they were for. I went home in tears. Gave it a second chance, slightly better with the doctor the second time.