Overall Review

3.1

January 17th, 2016
Great doctor who thinks out of the box
I've been a patient for about five years, and after marrying I got my husband to see her after he developed diabetes. He had an outrageous A1c reading but wanted to avoid insulin at all costs. We had Blue Care Network, so of course insulin was their go to treatment. She was willing to work with him to find a diet and non-insulin prescription combination that would work for him, within a few months he was back to work, and within a year his A1c was reduced by half! His previously debilitating neuropathy is now under control and tolerable thanks to her being willing to try new therapies. She called us herself with his first lab results to be sure we understood her instructions from the appointment a few hours before, and calls us anytime there's an unusual reading (often the very day the labs are drawn). We're now uninsured, and she does everything she can to help us find affordable healthcare alternatives; she and her staff never balk at doing the paperwork needed by the multiple prescription assistance programs we have to use. I'm pretty healthy but have found I can discuss anything with her. She's not afraid to give referrals when necessary, and she won't prescribe meds that won't help.

April 28th, 2015
For Healthy Patients Only
I have been seeing Dr. Skelcy for the past 3+ years and am finally moving on to a new doctor. She tends to somehow turn the conversation to herself when you are discussing symptoms, taking the focus off of the patient. Her go-to answer for most symptoms is 'stress' or 'it's all in your head'. I ended up playing doctor and doing research on my own symptoms because I had enough, and all the signs, to me, pointed to a chronic disease. When I brought up what I thought I might have during my next appointment, she shrugged it off and said I couldn't possibly have it. I had to put my foot down and say I really wanted to get tested for it. When she finally referred me to a specialist, the specialist promptly scheduled me for surgery and diagnosed me with the chronic disease I thought I had. Following this whole experience, my 'check-in' appointments have gone smoothly but not in the way they should go between doctor and patient. I literally tell her what drugs I need or what tests I want done, and she signs off on them without question. Very odd, but at least now I'm getting what I need. To no surprise, she has recently forgotten my diagnosis and the results from previous tests... I had to remind her constantly. She always had to refer to my chart and could never remember anything on-the-spot. I give her two stars overall because I believe she is good if you're in near-perfect health and only needing a routine physical or check-up. If you might have anything that 'challenges' her beyond normal check-ups, I highly recommend you look elsewhere for a doctor. There are many other negative things I could have mentioned about my experience with her as a doctor. I'm a very patient and forgiving person, which is why I continued to give her chance after chance for the past 3+ years... but as I continue on in life with my disease, I need to move on to a more experienced doctor.

April 21st, 2011
If you have fibromyalgia choose another doctor
I've gone to Dr. Skelcy for a few months now. If you need general help like muscle injury, flu bugs, or losing weight she's a good doctor. If you, like me, suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, she'll pretty much tell you it's all in your head. I don't think she would be a good doctor to have if something is really bothering you. If you are relatively healthy, she's ok. I'll be looking for a new general practitioner now!

August 23rd, 2010
Thanks Dr. Skelcy and Staff
I'm a new patient I had to wait 2 wks to get into see her and than my appointment was cancelled. They rescheduled and It was worth the wait I only waited in the waiting room for about 10 minutes. She spent over an hour with me. She ordered tests and scheduled another appointment for me. Her staff has been great they are warm and caring. She has since sent me to a specialist and the doctor she sent me to is great also. I feel I am blessed to have doctors like her.I know that I'm a new patient and I hope that I continue to receive excellent care and that she and her staff continue to be part o my health care. I sent my 30 yr. old daughter to her and she's happy with too.

March 29th, 2010
For a doctor that "specializes" in diabetes, she diagnosed me with being "pre-diabetic" when I have been diabetic for 20+ years! She then stated, "Well I didn't have your chart in front of me." The sad thing is, that wasn't even my first visit to her!